Knowing Wild Animal Characteristics is Very Important

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to surviving in the wild, there are typically one or two scenarios. Either a you know absolutely nothing about outdoor survival and have been thrown into a situation due to an unfortunate circumstance or you are an avid outdoorsman and survivalist and do this for the fun of it or have been thrown into an unfortunate circumstance. Knowing how much to pay attention to the characteristics of wild animals and what traits they display can help save your life. Watching wild animals not only will help alert you to approaching dangers but can also lead you to food and water sources. Knowing characteristics such as what scratch marks on a tree mean can save you from wandering into an angry bears path.
    upload_2016-1-24_18-17-44.png
    Knowing how to distinguish different types of animal droppings will help let you know what kind of wildlife is in the area. Of course understanding what different animal tracks look like in the ground will also help you to determine what kind of animal is in the area and how long ago they were there when they made their tracks. Following the simple characteristics and knowing a little bit about the different animals around your area or the area that you will be visiting can be the difference between life or death and survival. Not only can they lead you to food and water sources these animals themselves can also be food sources. Knowing what's in the area and how to adapt to hunting can help provide food when you need it the most. Should you be a vegan survivalist or anyone else thrown into a survivalist situation, knowing, these basic animal characteristics could help you from becoming their meal as well.

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty familiar with animal tracks and identifying what animal they come from. However, I am not well-versed in identifying other things like animal droppings. I will say that staying away from any sort of game that is predatory and larger than a human, like a bear, would definitely be the best bet for anyone stranded in the wilderness. Bears in particular are extremely protective of their young and often this is the reason why hikers and campers get attacked.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in a city apartment so you can call me ignorant when it comes to wilderness. However, with my association to my husband who is kind of adventurer, I have learned some knowledge especially so that we go on camping once or twice a year in mountain resorts. But I admit that I still have to experience camping out in the wilderness.

Since we are in the tropical country, the most dreaded animal is the snake (I know, it's actually a reptile). There are so many cases of snake bites in the rural area and rural folks would say that you need a long stick when walking in the grassy area. The stick is used to tap the ground ahead of you so a snake, if present, can be warned of your arrival. Snakes would attack only when cornered so giving it a warning is a good way to make the pathway safe from snakes. But with the python that usually kills its victim by constriction, is another story. The python doesn't bite but it can also be harmful to humans.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Recognize the local fauna is a key insight for survival. You can track better game for hunting or take advantage of their weaknesses in those dire moments of confrontation. Also to avoid better the local venomous animal species and/or repel dangerous predators. This knowledge provides anticipation, and anticipation contributes to guarantee success.

5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I think you should also know which animals you are likely to find in a certain area and be prepared for the worst at all times. Of course knowing how to identify which animals are nearby by taking a look at their tracks would an added advantage but to stay safe in case the you can't find any tracks and don't know what might be lurking behind some thicket, knowing the animals you might meet would be wise.

lonewolf likes this.
  6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I firmly agree. Even though my parents and older siblings grew up rural, I did not. And when two friends decided to move to the country, I often spent weekends with them. This is the first time I ever heard a coyote howl. One weekend we went for a walk on their property and found cougar tracks. What surprised me was how big the paw print was. It is interesting to get away from the city, just thirty minutes outside the city limits, and you become aware that wild animals still exist.