Laavu Shelter

Discussion in 'Tent, camper, RV, or other man made shelters.' started by Tom Williams, Jan 20, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I recently saw a new type of shelter to me they called it a laavu it sets up quick and the set up i saw i fell in love with if any one has info on where to buy this please link me up!!!

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is this the one Tom?
    b68bc255ae53125c2d8e05af9163951c.jpeg
    https://image.ibb.co/b8HG1w/laavu_mini.jpg

This looks like a copy of the Baker Tent invented in the early 20th century.
    b68bc255ae53125c2d8e05af9163951c.jpeg
    b68bc255ae53125c2d8e05af9163951c.jpeg It was the grandfather of one of my closest friends who invented this shelter for a scout group back in the early 20th century. It is used a lot at Fur Trade Rendezvous, but of course it is not really authentic to the period. Baker had a good friend, Zane Grey a writer, & it is believed that Zane Grey used this tent & called it the Baker Tent which is how it became so well known. The original sketches are now in the possession of one of my friend's sons. But I have a copy of the original in a diary that my late friend left me (he died of cancer some years ago).
    Another friend of his was Buffalo Bill, my friend's father was a printer by trade & got the job of printing all the posters for the Buffalo Bill Circus.
    Keith.

OneFoot likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yep thats it it has the reflector matiral on it which i think make it a nice warm shelter when closed up it zips together and looks like a pup tent when closed up it would pack nice 3lines and a few stakes to sset up light quick easy i like the wall tent have one but its bulkie heavy its great tent in cold weather with the stove its made many trips west for hunts and never failed but this set up would be great for a easy to pack and go

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for link keith

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    More looking into this i found one made by top lander that for price might be the one it comes with the fly and a net insert for bug control stakes and rope and a stash bag. Now how much is 40quib in us money ????

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lookin at baker tents walmart ad for one at 189 bucks us might be a choice to look at allso

7. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I thought Laavu was like a teepee? The indigenous people of northern Sweden, Samerna, live in those in conditions most people don't go out in. It's called a "Kåta" in Swedish and to my knowledge, a Laavu in Finnish, but I might be wrong here, it's just the way I got it.

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I belive your right on both names and countries i hust like the style ive been thinking on makeing one outof harbour freight painters canvas drop cloths i saw one one you tube that was a baker style i really like one wouldnt be hard to make at all

9. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Would be sweet, I've been looking into making my own tent, but atleast here the material costs would be so high I'm better off letting the pros do it. Would be a good experience though! A real sailcloth canvas tent made for my specs with a woodstove, I'm dreaming away :D

10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Surely someone there makes a canvas tarp drop cloth after cut hemmed and sewn together waterproof with linseed oil or wax heavy canvas is costly here allso so the drop cloths at 17 bucks apeice are my choice

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well a quid is a pound, & one pound sterling is about $1.50 US.
    Keith.

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Knew pound was strong atmonly ever passed threw smithport on ships over night fuel and resupply on uss charleston. Pub crawl was rough but i survuved lolthanks keith

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In this day and age, if a SHTF event occurs, you bug out, use a tent, somebody wants what you have, you get shot. If you don't have a hard structure, you're 6-o'clock is hanging out in the wind. You get shot.

If you got the money, go big. Go bullet-proof. Go bullet-proof vehicle with run-flat tires. If you armor-plate your own, you still need run-flat tires.

https://www.armoredcars.com/used-armored-vehicles/

https://www.armoredcars.com/vehicles/armored-chevygm-2500-3500-cargo-van/

http://www.askaprepper.com/the-cost-to-bulletproof-your-car/

Build your own bullet proof panels

Peel and stick bullet-proof door

https://www.hardwirellc.com/products/bulletproof-peel-n-stick-door-armor
    Toooooooooooo EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Build your own with large tile & granite (whatever) plate laminations.
    ====================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6rRNGfR6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4ZD8TWULs

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  16. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    The tents are for when i do mountain man stuff orcamp for hunt or fishing trip when shtf wqe will be here inquiet mode liveing a somewhat normal life in a military style

17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I pick on the mrs about the black powder cannons in the park about can we tow them home yet she knows i will and will have them ready to fire if she says yes lol

18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a black powder cannon. However, it is miniature, miniature. The 12 inch brass cannon is mounted onto the cheeks by two thick trunnions. The trail is shortish, i.e. medium (to scale) just not stretched out like I've seen. The cheeks and trails have all fittings in brass. The smooth-bore is .75 inch which puts it just over 12 ga. This cannon was milled/built by a fellow from Budapest. It is of course a muzzle-loader with a touch hole diameter designed for cannon fuse / dynamite fuse. I once blew a 3.5 inch lag bolt (set into a sabot, of course) into a firelog. The bolt went in about 2.5 to 3.0 inches and at a yaw of 20 degrees. The builder told me to not use over 70 grains of powder but that he'd seen his barrels handle 120 grains. I use FF powder in it. It's never misfired -- good thing, 'cause I've no screw to extract a load. I can use 12 ga shotcups if I wrap a tad of ticking around the cup for a touch more diameter.

Forgot. The wheels go 6" in diameter. I don't have the beasty right here in front of me. The thing is royally heavy. Recoil is such that I must lay rags on the trail and place a big flat rock or paving stone on that -- otherwise the thing flips over backward (using 120 gr of powder).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Geezer that would be awesome load with. 4-6 bird shot and 100grains ff set waist high and fired into group it would do a job

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can go with anything as long as I can keep the bugs from eating me alive all night!! A mosquito bar is a must it my shelter isn't bug proof. When I was a kid we never had a tent. We camped under a big tarp and slept on army cots with mosquito bars over them. LOL, we don't have bears or mountain lions or mean wolves here but we have mosquitoes that can suck you DRY in a single night.

21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As God as my witness, I had a workmate once tell me that he had enjoyed going canoeing and camping in the Okefenokee swamp. He told of the mosquito swarms that were black clouds. He was no sissy, forward air control and all.

But, "fun"? No, excuse me, no fun in being eaten alive. Friend's brother got malaria in Vietnam -- he didn't have fun.

Mosquitoes = bad .... Infected mosquitoes = very bad .......These are not complex concepts.

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess I was pretty lucky. I was probably bitten several million times over the years of fishing in the swamps during the day and frog gigging in them at night while working in the rice fields from sunrise to sunset Monday through Friday. Even when I was home if you stepped outside the the mosquitos would swarm you. I never caught anything from them.

As much as I hate the little buggers I am actually sort of not bothered by them much where I live now. I think it is mostly a matter of volume. I don't even notice a few bites. They don't even leave a bite mark on me now. If I have someone with me to be mosquito bait they won't hardly ever even bite me. When my fishing buddy and I get done fishing and are cleaning fish I never get bit but my buddy often gets eaten alive.

You have NEVER experienced mosquitos like the ones that come up out of a salt marsh like a cloud at sunset. Those suckers bite feel almost like a wasp sting and just plain hurt!! I used to wear a heavy slicker suit with a hood and would tape up the sleeves, ankles and wear gloves and a mosquito hood when I would be night fishing in the summer along the coast. They were literally so bad that they would sometimes kill young calves and only brahman cattle had skin thick enough to live on those coastal pastures.