Ladies, Are You Treated Differently While Prepping?

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by Katie Ann, May 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Katie Ann

Katie Ann New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Just out of curiosity, are the rest of you ladies treated differently than you feel a man would be treated when buying things for prepping, or even simply asking questions? I find "the looks" rather annoying. I thought the "don't you worry your pretty little head about this" attitude was left in the 60s.

Oh, don't get me wrong, no none has ever actually SAID that in words, just demeanor, and I'm thinking if anyone ever does, he'll wish he'd made a different choice... ;) but I mean really!

I think the ladies here will know what I mean. Like you go into buy a backpack and while a man would be told all the features, everything about it in detail, for me it's like "there, that one should be easy for you to handle" without any further discussion. I do realize that maybe I just live in an area that's way behind the times, so I'm curious about whether this is a common occurence.

2. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    YES! I totally get this!
    I am a single mom trying to make sure her family will survive. Why is this any different than a man doing the same thing?
    I know how to use a gun, I don't need a man trying to show me how to use one. I can however teach him a thing or two!
    Last time I went in to get ammo, the guy behind the counter asked me what my husband had sent me in for. Why do they automatically assume I am there to buy for my husband? So annoying!

Androm001 likes this.
  3. Katie Ann

Katie Ann New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that you have to go through this, too, SouthernMama. I'll never get used to it. The worst offenders seem to be car salesmen. We couldn't *possibly* know about how an engine runs or how a car is supposed to sound, right? :rolleyes: And how could we ever consider going car shopping without a daddy, husband, brother, or boyfriend with us? The NERVE! hehe

But seriously, this is a problem but it's not very common, fortunately. I've had just as many salespeople treat me with respect and assume I have some intelligence, but it's the other type that really bug me.

4. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Cars salesmen and dealerships, yeah pretty sure Dante should have created a circle for them. As a single woman I totally get hosed all the time by them. One because when they fix your car, even if you know what is wrong with it, they will lie and disagree until you have to either leave or pay them to do something you don't need done so they will do what you do need to get done, done. Two, they charge more when you're a girl. Three, you get talked into buying a car for way too much because they don't haggle with people with XX chromosomes.

Fact: I came in to get my oil changed at my car dealer (they have full service and cheap oil changes). And asked the guy to check my battery because I'd just had one put in and I knew it was loose and they tried to sell me a new starter. A starter! And you should have seen what they wanted money wise. No way. I had the guy change the oil, I drove back to sears where I got my battery and had the guy put it in right. And yeah, it was the battery. I never had another problem.

As for prepping though I haven't had that problem. The problem I have is guys either thinking that the reason I happen to be at a "guy store" is either because I'm looking for a boyfriend or I'm buying a gift for my husband... Husband? Wait... when did I get married? I know I'm forgetful but I think I'd remember a wedding. ;)

5. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    Some places I've experienced that kind of mentality. I think the most annoying for me is the attitude of "why are you interested in this stuff, shouldn't your husband be organizing this stuff?"

I think it's damn important for everyone, male or female, to be aware of things they need in a survival situation. We're in a very earthquake prone area so we have a sizeable kit that is stocked at all times with supplies - I need to be just as aware of how to use everything and how stocked everything is for both my sake, my husband's sake, and our kids sake! In fact I would say it would be irresponsible of me not to know!

6. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    IMG951639.jpg

This woman can out hunt fish and track most men I have learned so much from her and she goes by big sister IMG951639.jpg

MountainCutie and Mr Boots like this.
  7. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Amelia I agree that this stuff is so important. I think the reason I don't run into this so much is because of where I live. Here everyone is expected to be self-reliant to some degree and women hunters aren't that unusual. Infact the first day of elk season the kids get off for school so they can hunt too. I am very blessed that way.

I do run into the attitude that food storage is the females job though. While that was slightly irritating to me at first, I've found it to be somewhat advantageous- I hate chili mac and to date only four packages have ever entered this house and they were in a mixed box of Mountain House for backpacking trips.

If I'm honest I don't think I would want a guy picking that out since every guy I know eats copious amounts of junk food- lots of chips, soda, candy bars (okay I'm totally fine with Chocolate just in moderation infact it was literally my first prep after the rifle), cookies, and fatty meat dishes- and they can't cook more than a few things. They might do okay and they might not, some men cook very well. But I don't really know those some men and I like to eat. A lot of food storage items are pretty balanced if you buy cans but let's face it I can and ferment everything so I'm more a Ball kind of girl than I am a #10 can girl (although yeah I do have that too). Things you put up are so much easier to rotate anyway. But I doubt I'd be able to run from anyone on a diet that my son, brother, exhusband, or father chose. Which is literally every man I know next to my friend's husbands who let's just say I wouldn't trust in a kitchen.

Plus it's always better to have the cook chose the food storage and if you cook you get to prep your favorite things! Got to love that control. Have I meantioned that I hate sharing a kitchen? I do. I hate it with a passion.

That said I also get where you're coming from. I've heard this complaint from other women who lived in Utah and Nevada. If you ask me it's a bit of a mixed message. Women are often told a good wife is prepared and then looked at funny when we are preparing. It's like, can I just get a win? A pat on the back? Something? Consider yourself hugged! You are doing the right thing, we're all individuals and we all have our strengths and you are playing to yours, which is a good thing.

Hold your head proud and smile like a steel magnolia. You have us on your side. And if nothing else- just think- you could always say I told you so later when they're robbed by looters while he's asleep because she can't use a gun and he has to sleep some time.

8. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    PS love the buck!!! Can I adopt her?!

9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    She takes 4 or 5 bucks like that a year and a few nice hogs

Radar likes this.
  10. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    That woman is now one of heroes. And so is the regs guy who lets you take that many deer! I am seriously jealous. Where I live we are only allowed two deer a year and one elk. So naturally the more hunters in the house the better.

My goal, by the way, this year is to fill my tag and get my deer. That and do more than 80 lbs of pickles- we had to ration to make a full year this year because my daughter decided she was making eating half a jar of pickles daily. Not even kidding.

I also have to say the person who taught her to hunt has to be pretty fantastic too. I don't think enough men encourage their daughters and wives to hunt. I certainly could use more lessons than I got but part of that is my fault. To date I have zero deer under my belt and it pains me. Granted I've caught all kinds of salmon, trout, and halibut but as much as I love fish- I love deer meat more. Fish is wonderful but it's not the same.

Venison is literally my favorite meat. I am a wild meat fan girl. I grew up on it but when I was younger I was more of a girly girl than I should have been because now I really regret not learning more when I had family members who offered and were alive.

But this year no excuses, I will go out every day if I have to. I am getting that deer! Thank you for the photo this motivates me so much. It gives me hope. And way to go on the hogs.

11. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    She taught her self to hunt she will go in the woods way before day light and stay way after dark our dad did not hunt she bought me my first gun taught me how to clean my game

Radar likes this.
  12. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Well that is just better, she's is better than Wonder Woman.

Bishop likes this.
  13. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    What state do you hunt and what kind of deer

14. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    We have white tail and mule deer, I like the taste of white tail better but they're less common here. I definitely wouldn't turn down a mule deer though. I am in the northwest.

15. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I have never got to hunt mule deer or elk but one day I will I want to take them with my recurve

Radar likes this.
  16. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    hhhh your thread made me lough, but yes of cause it happens especially when you are also slim like me hhh people can look down on you but guess what I do! usually I don't tell them anything just my eyes speaks more than my lips, I give them an ugly stare lol then I keep prepping hell I don't really care what they think I know what I want and their opinions won't stop me lol.

17. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This also applies to things like taking your car or in my case my Vespa to the repair shop. It is assumed that beacause of my gender I have no clue where my oil and gas goes into or battery or what makes up the Vespa. At first glance, I am always overcharged until I ask to speak to a manager and I state it plainly that I know the parts of my Vespa and I know how much it cost.

18. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    This happens a lot to males also!
    The trick is to do some research and talk like you know stuff to start with, the more competent you sound the less you will get ripped off!