Lanyards...........me Like'em

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Sourdough, Oct 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Consider if lanyard would be of any use for you. I have lanyards on most of my handguns. I make mine and they attach the firearm to my wrist.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My motivation is that when bears attack, they so violently shake the victim, that they loose hold of their firearm, and often it is so violent their shoes or boots go flying.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see some advantages in lanyards in some situations. For me though they might inhibit my somewhat ambidextrious use of guns in some situations.

When I think of lanyards I always think of the venerable Break action .455 Webley that were carried by British Officers all over the world. They were probably the greatest handguns ever issued to any military until the advent of the Colt 45 ACP.

c01df802359ebd3de47fc78666e260a6.jpeg

Until the advent of auto loading pistols with magazines the top break auto extracting feature was the fastest to reload revolver with acceptable stopping power and a low recoil.

The use of clips made the reload compeditivewith an auto matic reload and it was THE british sidearm until the 455 Mark IV was retired in 1947.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    In the Army for my unit, if it was important to you, it was tied to you (Ranger ropes, dope ropes, etc.). Best way to not lose things when the world decides to hate you.

Dale

5. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I got overconfident the other day and did some work on a boat motor while we were stuck out in the gulf. I lost my favorite pair of Leatherman pliers. Made me very sad. :(

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  6. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I still call my lanyards “dope ropes.” I use them all the time.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I like lanyards, I like them a lot. Years ago I lost a magazine out of a rifle. It sucked big time, it was a time and place that replacement was not possible at least for awhile. I even think a lanyard is not a bad idea even for a magazine.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Have you ever used Magpul pulls or just old school ranger pulls on your mags. You can attach a dope rope when needed, easily then.

Dalewick, Oct 20, 2019
      TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I m wearing my prescription safety glasses right now....side shields removed. The have on them a lanyard. Some postures you have to assume to get certain work done..is very uncomfortable and it is easy for your glasses to come off. A lanyard helps greatly.

Certain tools as well...you do not want to lose them down certain pipes and or machinery. You put lanyards on them. Also you keep a tool inventory list....of what comes into a job site and out ...You never want to lose a tool in certain machinery and then close it up and operate it....disaster ...big time ...expensive too.

Lanyards help here....so to tool inventory lists.

I don't necessarily put lanyards on my guns...but I can see under certain circumstances where it would be helpful...particularly on a side arm.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, yes, yes: lanyards !

They're not just for ID cards dangling around one's neck.

They're attached to my compass, other carry-able instruments, belt-laden tools, ...

For those with amphib, maritime environments, some lanyards have water-activated light. Some lanyards provide buoyancy for some attachments.

Yes, yes, yes: lanyards !

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I had heard the exact same thing from Mykel Hawkes. It is very sound advice. I have several lanyards that are used for a multitude or purposes.