Learning to Crochet

Discussion in 'Other DIY' started by acheno84, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    So I've recently learned how to crochet, and I think that this is a basic that everyone should know how to do. You are able to make the tightest and sturdy knots, and can do it with basically anything. I've always been a knitter and can make pretty much anything, but crochet is not only faster, you can do it without any hooks or needles since you're literally making loops.

There are some great videos on youtube that will teach you the basics. This will come in handy in the event that you need to make ropes from vines, nets to store items in, clothing, etc. Yarn is also very cheap, so you can pick up a small skein of it and keep it your pack so you'll have light weight supplies to make things out of it needed.

Justin Baker, Keith H. and cluckeyo like this.
  2. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I crochet also. But I don't know how to knit. I have a good supply of yarn and I can make a warm cap in 2 hours. I've actually been selling a few of my items lately. Crochet is a relaxing way to pass time. I have surprised myself by what I have been able to do with it. Lately, I have been designing my own patterns. And I plan to open an Etsy store soon. I thought about offering lessons, but if I did that I would have to have a different location. I don't want people coming out to my house.

Justin Baker, Keith H. and acheno84 like this.
  3. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a ridiculous supply of yarn from my knitting. All of these colors that I must have, or leftovers from projects never finished. I have recently started a project though called Beanies 4 Babies. Basically, every donation goes to a children's hospital and then for every $3 we raise, we are making a baby beanie for a child in need. We are also donating $2 of every $3 to the hospital as a charitable donation. It's still a new thing for us and hasn't taken off too far just yet, but I plan to do some outsourcing this weekend since I'll have some free time. It's very relaxing and it's for a good cause, plus it's getting rid of old yarn so I can start building my collection with some of the newer materials.

cluckeyo likes this.
  4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My grandma taught me how to crochet when I was little. It's very usual and if you ever need the thread/yarn whatever for something you can easily unravel it.

5. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I learned how to crochet a couple of years ago and it's a life saver! From knots like you said to last minute gifts, my life has become a lot easier. I even started selling yarn dolls!

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Finger weaving & making cordage are another two good skills to learn.
    Keith.

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    There are many videos available to help learn to do finger weaving and paracording for these purposes as well. I am about a week into my self-taught crochet lessons and I cannot stop. I am amazed at how many types of knots and weaves you can do for different types of patterns, strengths, tension, etc. It's very easy to learn as well. I was big into sewing, and I too sold many items that way. I am going to start working on more of the amigurumi patterns to see what else I can create.

Glad to hear that others think this is a helpful learning tool :)

Justin Baker likes this.
  8. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've been crocheting since I little girl. Thank you for this post, I hasn't even thought of this as a survival skill. Now I see many uses for it. What do you know I'm more prepared then I thought. I will be able to make my own clothes to keep warm, dishrags, blankets, and even shoes.

Justin Baker likes this.