Lee Dipper Set

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by randyt, Sep 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Earlier today I was fireforming some brass. Which is basically using a pistol powder charge, some cream of wheat and then I capped the top by the neck with a hot glue gun, about a 1/4 inch thick. Some folks use wax.

The process is to form one cartridge to another in my case 8mm lebel to 41 swiss. The lebel is blown out to fit the 41 chamber.

Anyhoo this is about the Lee dipper kit. I was on a job a few years back and the fella knew I was a shoter (it's a small town) so he gave me a bunch of reloading stuff in amongst the stuff was a dipper kit. I normally use a rcbs powder measure. Today I used the dipper kit. It's a neat outfit. There is a slide rule with many different powders and what measure to use for what grain for a particular powder. I hear they still make it.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    that's the one, it seems like a simple affair but today it worked well for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    It can be fast and simple and requires no batteries.

randyt likes this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've made dippers from empty cases and a twist of stiff copper wire for a handle, I solder the handle to the case.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a Lyman and an RCBS Powder Measures but I still use that Lee dipper set when I am working up a load. I find the dipper that throws a charge just a bit lower than my target load and then tops it off with a powder trickler on the scale. Once I determine exactly what I want I then set the powder measures for my production loading. I have a full set of Lee Loaders in the calibers and gauges that I will want if I have to make the run. Those and the dippers will be my bugout reloading kit.

If I have to I can pull the bullets out of any ammo I come across and reload it into another case. When you do this you start light and work up since you don't know the exact burning speed of the powder. You "read" the primers so set your max loads. I don't recommend this in normal times but it can be safely done if you are cautious. You can even salvage the bullets to reload. think how many 30 and 7.62 caliber rounds there are out there.

I made dippers out of 38 cases but the lee dippers seem to throw a more uniform load. I think that it has to do it the type of powder. Small grained powders get stuck in the primer holes and then next time drop out. It is a tiny amount and would only matter if you weren't weighing the loads and were wanting tack-driving accuracy.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I use these kinds of powder measures..the dippers. Mostly for pistol reloading.

If I am working up a load for accuracy I measure the charges on a powder scale...each load....along with a lot more case prep...and bullet selection.

But yes...they are quick and handy..

I've purchased two sets of them. One a spare..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.