Les Stroud or Bear Grylls: Who Do You Think Is The Better Survivalist?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Danny Luke, Jul 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I like both of these men and I'm a huge fan of their work on television. In fact, I have DVDs of their shows and I watch theme every ow and then. In my opinion, Les Stroud is the better survivalist between the two. How about you. What do you think?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bear Grylls is not a survivalist, he is a showman or more correctly he is a showoff!! he is the last person I would want near me in an emergency, he is a broken leg or a broken neck waiting to happen.
    I like Les Stroud "survivorman" but he tends to get tied up with that camera of his, dosent he?:D

3. AuntB

AuntB Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Creek Stewart is the best survivalist. I think Creek brings forward skills and does it in such a way that it is easy to learn from him. Bear Grylls never impressed me. I do not know why but he seemed too reality show for me.

4. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Stroud but both are making money from television. Nothing wrong with that but it's
    entertainment.

Walmart carries cheap junk endorsed by Grylls.
    Fun shows to watch and I do pick up a few tips.

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Cody Lundin. Now that is a real and practical man.
    Shoeless but real and practical.
    I don't understand the no shoes bit but he's tough, no doubt about that.

6. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I bet they are both great. But the one thing that brought them to fame is their personality. They do research ofcourse prior to every episode and then they play out infront of the camera like any host of any instructional show. They were picked to do what they do because they are good TV-personas first and foremost, and then I bet they are awesome wilderness instructors. But merits can be made up if nothing else, just look at Dave Canterbury. But from what I have read about Mr Grylls and Mr Stroud I respect them deeply.

Ray Mears was living at the station I work in, before I started working there, but still. I've seen that episode and he claims to sleep under a tree and stuff like that. Check out Ray Mears Sweden on youtube. Comon, they are professionals. And Ray Mears is my personal favourite due to his knowledge in bushcraft.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ray Mears was always my kind of bushcrafter, he's a woodsman and has a gentle, relaxed way of showing survival, dosent rush around like some do.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, it's really hard to judge someone from a TV show. I did enjoy Les Strouds Snowshoes and Solitude, a documentary he did when he and wife lived in the bush for a year.

Ray Mears is awesome for sure. Mors Kochanski is another awesome one.

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    If I had my way, I would adopt Mors Kochanski to be my grandpa. He is the granddaddy of the modern survivalist mindset, and started the term 'bushcraft.' His famous quote, "the more you know, the less you carry" has been my motto since the beginning of my self-reliance journey.

He is featured a lot here: https://www.youtube.com/user/KaramatWW

He authored one of my favorite books: Basic Safe Travel and Boreal Survival Handbook. It also contains tons of valuable information from the Wilderness Arts and Recreation Magazine.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Travel...oreal+survival+handbook&qid=1568499035&sr=8-1

10. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Mor's book Northern Bushcraft is awesome too.

11. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I just now heard that Mors is seriously ill

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    anyone that does facebook can probably find details about Mors, I don't do facebook

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    To reply to the original thread I would take Les Stroud. He did things the average Joe would do. He was careful, and didn't take foolish risks.

Bear Grylls is fine if you are a world-class athlete that can climb waterfalls, or hang upside down on a rope to cross a canyon. I felt his techniques were foolishly dangerous, and far beyond the capabilities of average people.

I did like Creek Stewart's short lived TV show Fat Guys in the Woods. I think it was on the Weather Channel. More up my alley. Put some people on there who throw some shade. Always enjoyed Ray Mears shows. I thought he was the best.

Sorry to hear about Mors Kochanski. He was the grand daddy of it all.

Steve-0, TMT Tactical, randyt and 2 others like this.
  15. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If I had to choose between these two men, it would have to be Les Stroud. Haven't actually watched him that much but he doesn't seem to do stupid things on TV. Bear Grylls is an idiot! Please do not mimic this mans survival ANYTHING! He would get many people injured and/or killed. Just my opinion

Dale

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  16. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Bushtucker man, not sure if he is a "survivalist"

Justo and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Les Stroud for sure. Bear Grylls is just a pure reality show actor.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  18. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    It has got to be les stroud. i know people that work with him ( his recovery crew) he is real .Bear Grylls on the other hand has a full tv crew next to him. so tell me if he is living in a tree on a trek and the unionized camera crew is eating cheese burgers . he is going to stay in the tree? or is he going to partake of those cheese burgers?

randyt, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.