Liquors and Wines

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by DecMikashimota, Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    What are some easy wine and liquor recipes that you can make while you are on the trail?

2. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Making wine and hard liquor takes some equipment to do so, so being on the trail might make that difficult. Wine would be the easier of the two. Note, if you are making hard liquor for human consumption in the USA, you must be licensed to do so or you can face serious criminal charges.

Personally, we do keep some hooch (e.g., gin, bourbon, etc.) on hand, but it isn't a huge part of our preps. It is more for unwinding after a long week. ;)

DecMikashimota and hades_leae like this.
  3. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You can make wine pretty easily with juice, sugar, and yeast, but it takes a week or two to ferment. I think it would be pretty heavy for carrying on the trail and probably not worth the wait in that instance. Me, if I wanted booze on the trail, I'd bring Everclear because you wouldn't need as much of it to just mix with something else you have to drink. Probably not the tastiest option but it's the most portable and it's also useful for cleaning wounds, tools, and a variety of disinfecting purposes.

DecMikashimota likes this.
  4. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    This was as funny response because you had to make a legal statement, lol. I would actually never worry about bringing liquor, or wine, let alone making it on any trail because it's dangerous. you can't get wasted and worry about survival, your bug out bag would be pointless, weapons that you brought along, pointless.

You put yourself in dangers way because of the negligence. Getting drunk when SHTF happens is not an option, unless you got someone to babysit you.

DecMikashimota likes this.
  5. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess I wasn't thinking about it that way. I ultimately wasn't thinking about getting completely wasted either, just a little something to warm me up and get a buzz before I go to sleep. You are right though, I would still need to be alert.

More than likely, I just wanted to see if anyone had any interesting recipes that someone could try even if they weren't in survival mode. I know a old man that just makes juices from fruits and other ingredients then lets it ferment.

6. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure why it is "funny". A lot of rural people make their own alcohol. Beer and wine require no licensing. Distilling hard liquor for human consumption, without a license, has some very harsh penalties at the federal level. True, if the rule of law never returns, then it is a moot point. But not all disasters are the end of civilization. And when the lights come back on, if you are caught doing something illegal, bad things will go down. Things that are, you know, not conducive to your survival. ;)

hades_leae likes this.
  7. MKprepper

MKprepper Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    My mum and dad use to make great homemade wine with just some kind of fruit juice not from consentrate some sugar or honey some crushed currents or berries and the yeast, im really not to sure how long they left it to ferment though? not very strong but yummy stuff i must say:)