living without electricity.

Discussion in 'Creating and Using Electricity' started by lonewolf, Jan 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a serious catastrophe there may not be any power available for a long time, maybe even permanently.
    living without power isn't hard to do, it just takes a bit of adapting to the new situation and having to use a different mindset to solve problems that dosent include the use of power.
    human beings have lived for millions of years without power, its a relatively new invention in the history of human evolution.

2. LHCB

LHCB Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This consideration has led me to delving into solar energy and battery operated tools. At least as long as the rechargeable batteries last I could concentrate on the rest of the areas where I'd have to adapt to a world without the magic of the receptacle we all use to power our lives today.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    solar panels can work for up to and over 3 decades but the inverter, batteries and electronics they plug into probably wont, anything that relies on batteries, even rechargeable ones, is guaranteed to be worthless once the battery chemicals wear out and there is no more to be had.
    this does not mean we should not use all that we have at our disposal even if only for a short time, but use it wisely and use it to get to a future without it.

Deb H and LHCB like this.
  4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have thought of this often as the thunderstorms here in Texas often knock out the electricity. It causes me to ponder ways of cooking food. Short term eating is easy; it is not having electricity for long periods of time that causes me to ponder. I know my neighbor across the street invested in a generator which proved helpful if the electricity was out overnight in the winter time.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Particularly the occurrence of natural disasters, the power outage should always be expected. We have rechargeable lamps in our house that we always charge so it will be ready and able when it is time to be used. But when the power outage takes a long time, we have to go back to our usual ways like the oil lamp and the firewood for cooking (although our stove is powered by liquefied petroleum gas).

In 1970, there was this super typhoon that rendered Greater Manila with no electricity for more than a month due to the destruction of electric posts. The public's first concern was light at night because we are not used to the dark. But after 2 weeks of living in the dark, we have gotten used to the situation. So I guess it takes only 2 weeks for the adjustment period in going back to our primitive ways.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I suppose if we had to live without electricity, there would be a few things I would do. I would dress extremely light in the summer and I would keep a wet wash cloth with me at all times. A wet wash does wonders to cool you off on a hot day. And we would open the windows and let the breeze blow through the house. In winter I would bundle up really warm, and I would have a nice selection of very warm blankets to use on the beds. We would cook over a fire, and the cast iron would be great for that. We'd keep lots of candles and matches or lighters. It would be good to have some lanterns and fuel, though we would be very sparing with that. So I guess we would rise with the chickens, and go to sleep at dusk. That way we would not waste resources. Yeah, it could be done!!