Lock Picking

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Dalewick, Nov 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Lock picking may or may not be something you consider a needed or even wanted skill set. It sure can come in handy if you loose a key or need in something or some where without beating off a lock or kicking in a door. You can either purchase tools or if your cheap like me, make your tools out of a couple pieces of stiff wire (such as large paper clips or bobby pins). I included this video for informative reasons.

Yes, I know, many will use a master key (Bolt cutters) for accessing locked up items or places but some times bolt cutters either can't reach or can't cut what's needed for access. Just a thought.

Dale

2. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    bump

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Learned about lock picking when I was in facility maintenance. Lots for employee's that forget their keys at home and needed into their office , file cabinets and a few time into their cars. I am all set for investigating places and things, once the SHTF events calm down.

4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    It's a great skill, a skill that needs practice. My father taught me to pick locks when I was a kid. Learned about picks, torsion wrenches and such. I have three of his key machines and a couple tool boxes full of lock tools. He taught me to use bump keys and those can work good at times. There are a couple automatic locks picks in the stuff, one looks like a handgun and the other is a cordless battery operated rig. He didn't really use those much

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Dalewick like this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I worked for a locksmith as a kid. It is a great skill to have.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  8. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical, Caribou and Dalewick like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I ain't blowin' no dang door but what I got business on the other side.

It's in those sitcheashuns, that a man gotta be right with his Lord.

Praise the Lord that I've never been there.

Have been on the other side of that door. Sixteen years old watching the kitchen door, 12 ga double at port arms. Whoever opened our screen door didn't break the glass of the wooden door. Car drives up the street real slow. Went back to bed. Later on that morning found out that we'd gotten a new paper boy who'd not learned to leave the sacred back door of a house alone. He was actually in no danger ... unless he'd broken the back door's glass to get to the lock. In which case, I'd planned to shoot off his hand. My dad said that I'd done good. Next year, he bought me a revolver.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      I learned the skill long ago for Uncle Sam. I have used it to go into places where bad people lived and followed my orders. Locked the door back so no guard was alerted and all looked well. Stealth has many purposes.
      They used to tell us that they had invested a lot of money in us and they wanted there money's worth. AKA - we were expendable.

Dalewick, Nov 7, 2019
      Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most of the locks around here, a rural area, will be padlocks and bolt croppers will suffice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Agree with Son OF Liberty....you may not want others to know you've been about....their location.

I've carried a set of lockpicks with me for over 30 years now. Taught myself to make them if needed..different types as well as the tension wrenches. I usually use a 3/16 modified allen wrench as a tensioner and so and aptly stated by another member.

Often at work the previous shift is in a hurry go go home and just leave us the jobs but don't leave the keys to certain lockers wherein are stored specific tools and or measuring equipment. Lockpicking is how some of us have learned to cope with this nonsense.

I have also used my picks to get into my truck, cars, and also home and garage when I have locked myself out.

Most of us know what are a locksmiths rates. NO thanks.

I have two extra sets of picks in my various BOBs.

A good skill to have ...just like Ham radio.....but one perishable if one does not occasionally keep up with it.
    Also it takes time to learn...and develop the touch...feel...skill.

My pick set is in my back pocket right now...ready to go. Don't leave home without it.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.