Lonewolf Survival Realities Vs. The Group (and Bigger Is Better) Theory.

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Sourdough, Feb 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a long term total collapse there are going to be all sorts of problems that we saw in New Orleans. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have no moral compass other than the fear of getting caught by the cops. The bad news is that when that threat is removed they seem to revert to an animal sort of morality. The good news is that they will kill each other and then without the cops protecting them the rest will be killed by now well armed victims.

We have allowed these people to rot the cores of our biggest cities. The rather extreme circumstances of Katrina and the political issues already existing in New Orleans gave us a little peek at what is probably coming.

2. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    survival is about food,water,shelter and security...in various order depending on needs at a particular time. rinse and repeat daily...how that happens has a wide array of action behind it.

to me is to be in area where resources either wild or domesticated produces serious calories.people say wild resources will run out in a shtf..they could..but they also might not..case in point a salmon run.theres a certain time period for that. going to unknown area the lack of knowledge of timing of a particular run many would just give up or worse waiting for the correct time.be a local of that area you could be off doing other chores and productive until that time.

living in fairly remote and low population area with small diversified farms and ranches are the way to go.i can or could produce a lot of calories with a little help from a couple youngsters that would follow a few directions. i .e. helping lift sacks of seed taters and cutting them and getting them ready to plant. as i prepped ground they could be finishing this and as i got to laying off rows they could be going down rows dropping potatoes for me to come back with row hipper covering up. potatoes to be considered good harvest according to a michigian university....cant recall which one...produces 1.5 pounds of tater per foot of row,last year i kept closed and detailed records and i averaged 1.8pounds a foot.one of the biggest things is holding back enough seed each year to replant. it takes way more than most realize.

yall know i am in the over 50 crowd and have limits because of injuries.last few years my younger members of family have enjoyed helping me do various tasks and they are shocked at the 'taste' of real food thats fresh.

i tend to be a loner but reality is life is easier as a tribe....but i must say if positions are over ran then its time to fall back in a groundhog hole and pull the cover over you...timing is everything.

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see very quickly , you are an experienced put food on the table gardener , good post .

4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Elkhound: I agree completely with your four categories, and I have practiced that from day 1. The other I would add would be fire. You could argue priorities like politics or religion, but for me 1.) Shelter 2.) Water 3.) Fire 4.) Security 5.) Food.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I try to prioritize according to a threat analysis. Security comes first because if you are attacked and can't defend yourself you will be dead in seconds. You need to had some sort of weapon that will allow you to defend yourself without HAVING to go toe to toe with an attacker. You have two hands man became the king of beasts with pointed sticks, clubs and big rocks that he could throw. Don't walk around empty handed.

The next priority will be shelter because without it in either the bitter cold or the intense heat of being out in the sun in the summer will kill you fast. Nearly anything that will protect you is better than nothing. This includes clothes and knowing how to use them. That should include head covers and some sort of rain gear if possible. Man, those better quality space blankets can make such a difference. They can be used to keep heat in or heat out and reflect it to make better use of a fire.

Once you are safe and sheltered as necessary you can worry about water you have three days so it is immediate but not urgent. You need to think of water in three or four steps; Find it, Gather it, purify it and store it. Some times one or more steps are not an issue but you nonetheless need to consider each possible step.

A single quick example. You are in an arid region and just can't find any water. ??? Among your supplies you need to carry a few dehydrated sponges. They are small and weigh nothing but even in a desert you can get an amazing amount of water off of rocks and such from the morning dew. ANY amount is better than none and will extend the time you have to find a better supply of water.

Then comes your need for nourishment; it isn't nearly as urgent as people now days think. You can live for three weeks with nothing to eat but if you can manage as little as 400 calories a day eaten in many small snacks each day you can live a LOOOOONG time. When you eat in small quantities your digestive system wrings it out where if you eat it all at one time you won't get as much from the same amount of food.

The last thing you need to consider whether you are in a group or a Lone Wolf. You are going to have to find ways to nourish your humanity. Man can not live by bread alone. Your body might survive but the things that make you a "Man" rather than just another animal require some tending to. You need to stay as clean as possible and take the times to care for your appearance and mind. This is especially important if you are alone. You need to keep a journal or do something every day to mark your passage through time. You need to live in a regular manner. In other words you need to do more than just eat, drink, sleep and do it again. There must be some human pleasures as a part of every day once things settle. Think about it... There is a reason why putting a prisoner in solitary confinement is so effective. With no other source of new thoughts and experiences your system starts to shut down.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the main thing that most people don't realise is that when the tap/faucet dosent work any more they are as good as dead if they don't know where fresh water can be found, 3 days and their either dead , dying, and not going anywhere. anything else is immaterial.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Water will not be a problem in most places along or within a 100 miles of the Gulf Coast. Anyplace that gets nearly 3 feet of rain a year will have plenty of water. All you need is several reliable ways to make it safe to drink. The warm water carried by the Gulf Stream keeps us pretty wet most of the time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Some will be able to find some water and then try to boil it on the electric range that does not have power. Oh, oops. There is water just about every where, clean drinking water, not nearly so much.

The Innkeeper and Sourdough like this.
  9. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Those living in a city whose plan is to bug in , could possibly survive a few weeks if they have enough water stored . But even if they are resigned to eating rats , bugs , or cannibalism without water their days left to live will be few .

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not so sure, I used to think like that, but it depends if the event is fast or slow, obviously a mega city with 20 million inhabitants then no, but what if it was smaller?

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you posted this as a joke let me tell you, this sort of stupidity is alive and well in America!! After Hurricane Rita I had a rash of calls from people that wanted me to fix their ACs or Refrigerators. I went to their homes and found that they had NO POWER. They had noticed that some other people, NOT NEIGHBORS, had power back on and were insistent that I FIX them up!! When some people are confronted with a new and only slightly understood problem it is amazing how they will be unable to deal with reality.

12. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Which do you think people will eat first , limbs off a corpse or eat roaches ?

The Innkeeper likes this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Every Big city will have millions of gallons of water laying untapped as people die of thirst. The water is there, people just do not know where to look.

No not a joke, I have little faith in people and their ability to survive in the city. I too do have first hand knowledge / experience of people's inability to adapt to change or even use deductive reason to solve a problem. One past career, Overhead (garage door) door service technician. I get a service call on a Sunday to come fix a residential garage door, the electric door opener was not working. I explain that the service call would be billed at double time rates and would be much cheaper to have me come out the nest day, a Monday. Home owner insisted I come out because they needed to get their cars out to go to work on Monday. I tried to explain about the quick disconnect on the garage door. Long story short, they insisted I come out, so I did. Here is what I found. I walked into the garage, hit the push button on the wall, and the door opened. I then replaced the batteries in their remote controls. Wrote them out a bill for about $250. They screamed $250 for a battery, I replied , nope, $250 for ME to come out and replace your batteries. They had not tried the wall switch, they had not tried the door disconnect, they did not take the time to figure out what they could do, these type of folks are dead meat once the SHTF.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't reveal the details of this story. Wish I could.

A major industrial process was shut down multiple times due to the petty actions of one member of their night-time clean-up crew.

Their factory engineers couldn't figure it out what kept going wrong. (There's an issue in and of itself.) Problem boiled down to their having zero security precautions, zero power backup, zero safety, zero brains ... oh dear Lord help us all! No, I didn't say that their precautionary measures were inadequate. Yes, I said non-existent.

At first telling, I didn't believe our field engineer. I just sat there for a moment, then used the f-word.

The "sanitation engineer" wasn't even trying to use their computers.

Forget some Chi-com cyber attack. Send in the village idiot.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they wouldn't have to do either if they had pre planned.

16. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    This may sound odd coming from a die-hard agnostic, but I'm extremely fortunate in that in my town of about 3800, ~75 percent of the people go to the same Church; the very same Church that about 75% of the folks in eastern Idaho and all of Utah go to. No, they don't have plural marriage; they stopped that over a century ago. But they are all preppers; it's part of the bedrock of their faith. They look out for each other -- and for their neighbors, even non-Church members like Dawn and me.

Having lived in Mesa AZ for 40 years -- a town with a high population of LDS folks -- I knew that if TSHTF, I'd be safer in Mormon country. Give you an idea; when I told the members of my band that I was moving, the mandolin player (a former bishop) called some of the Brethren in the Kimberly area to warn them of the heathen banjo-player in the neighborhood. I got there two days before my furniture arrived and the next morning eight men whom I'd never seen before just showed up and moved my stuff in for me. In the eight months I've been here, I've made friends with eight or so families who ask me to babysit their livestock when they're out of town, show up with a tractor when they know I'm about to till my garden, bring by eggs and leave with canned peaches -- and all but one family are Mormons. They have NEVER tried to convert me.

They all have their year's supply of food storage, lots of kids, are all armed, and have an instant communications network for each Stake and Ward that if something happens, they know where to go and what to do. Two weeks ago a guy called me up, said someone in his ward had mentioned me, and asked if I could help him install a Geissele two-stage in his AR. I told him to come over, and we fixed it in about a half-hour. How did that help me? It hasn't -- yet; but sooner or later it will.

Now again, I'm not into their theology, but they don't seem to mind that much. You can find your homies anywhere; they don't have to be Mormons (although it helps). But if you want straight-up people, look for the local churches, volunteer fire department, or just someone you meet who might need a little help. Word gets around, and if you play it right, you'll be a hell of a lot better off when -- and if -- the excrement impacts the air handler.

CTR, y'all!

17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post Duncan, that has been my experience with the Mormons too. I am also an agnostic. But most Mormons be good folks.

The Innkeeper and Sourdough like this.
  18. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    ...and this leads to something a bit more in line with the title of this thread. At the risk of being blunt, there are two statements I'd like to make about the "lone wolf" versus "group" thing:
    1. If you try to survive as a "lone wolf", you would likely be dead within a month.
    2. If you try to survive as a member of a smaller group, at least one of you will probably be dead within six months.
    Now I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's capabilities here. I'm sure most of the folks here can hit a small animal at a hundred meters, or start a fire in a rainstorm simply by rubbing couple of dry clichés together. But if you're alone in a hostile environment, something is going to get you. Lack of sleep might make you stupid for just a minute; you twist your ankle; you run into Mr. Escherichia coli (who is definitely not your friend); you meet someone just a bit more wide-awake than you and he gets the drop on you; you get an abscessed tooth;... you get the picture.

So you bug out with some friends who are all campers/hikers, too. Things are better in the short run. One of you can keep watch, someone will have a bit more medical knowledge than the rest, you'll be able to hunt as a group, you'll have someone to talk to, etc.

But you won't have all the abilities and skills that modern-day people need and take for granted. And I'm not talking about how to fix your iPhone or your microwave: I'm talking about people who can perform medical and dental surgical procedures, perform a podalic version so your wife and child won't die in childbirth from a breech presentation, get your submersible pump with the broken pipe out from 150 feet below the surface -- you get the picture.

In order to survive long-term, we need to have the strengths and skills available in -- at a minimum -- of 1,500 people, which is why I chose to buy a little farm near a little town (3000) which in turn is near a bigger town (45,000).

Obviously, if there is a generalized breakdown of transportation, power, medical, and food infrastructure, Twin Falls, Idaho isn't going to go on just as before, nor will my little town, Kimberly. But there will be the same folks -- many of them farmers and dairymen, with their support structure of vets, nursery workers, doctors, dentists, a fire department, cops -- who already have their home-based infrastructure and culture in place. We're way too far from the big cities like Spokane and SLC to worry about starving desperate hordes; and I'm betting my life (literally) that we will pull through better than any 'lone wolf' or even 'tribal based' survivalist could reasonably expect.

This isn't an easy choice for anyone. We left all our friends that we made over 40 years in Arizona and we started a lifestyle for which we had absolutely no capabilities, expertise, or experience whatsoever; with weather and climate completely different from what we're used to; not knowing a single soul and how/whether we'd be accepted. If you're tied into place by family, friends, your particular job, and all the things you're comfortable with -- then the move may be too big a jump for you. But if you're really concerned about the advent of Hard Times and want you and your family and kids to have a safe haven, this might be just the ticket for you.

All I'm suggesting is that you think about it.

19. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Duncan, every thing you stated is solid but also needs to be taken in a time frame and under a situational context. At the beginning, a Lone Wolf can do very well but will have a grater risk as things tend to calm down and as time marches on. Granted as more and more people come out of the woodwork and more skills are available, then joining with more people is a possibility. In the beginning any of those skilled people could also be a very serious liability. My plan is for a family group only. Then wait and see who survives and how they survived. The good doctor that could save you wife, may have also poisoned a few people to get their supplies. All things in context and time.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it all depends where one lives, in the UK we don't have the predators you have in the US.
    the die off of the general public is expected to be quite high, and some of us are starting in a low population area to begin with.
    don't expect any help from doctors, especially those that work in big hospitals as they are on the front line of any disease and violence outbreak and will be the first to go.
    all "groups" in the UK will be family units and family only, post SHTF is not the time to start trusting strangers.
    a lot of people will be left on their own not by bad planning or even no planning but by sheer bad luck, those people are going to HAVE to survive alone, at least for a time until they can find a group to join, if any group will have them that is, see previous remarks.
    living alone is perfectly doable if one has done it before.
    I am Lonewolf by name and lone wolf by nature and upbringing, for me its not a matter of choice.

21. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've made my feelings on this subject absolutely plain over the years on a variety of forums, my area is populated by a pretty self sufficient group of people, most of whom I know and trust. Between us we have the resources and skills to form a workable community. There are also a few who are a total waste of skin, I know who they are as well.

22. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Would not those who had been living that lifestyle for decades not fair well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i know plenty who fit into that category. not all preppers are on prepping forums.