Long Term Wilderness Survival, Does Your Equipment Match Your Needs?

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by Keith H., Jul 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If the shtf in a big way, you will need to bug out of the city in order to survive. Many of you will already know this & are prepared with tools & other equipment to help you survive in the wilderness/country areas. Your lifestyle will be substantially changed from the way you live now, you will need to set up a trap line & hunt for your food. Long term you may need to turn animal skins into leather for use as clothing, footwear will probably be the first to wear out.
    So given that you will need to construct shelter, carry water, cut wood, trap, hunt, skin & butcher game & also be prepared to defend yourself & possibly defend others, will your choice of equipment & tools/weapons meet your needs?

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    GrizzlyetteAdams and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My answer would be "YES". My equipment matches my needs. I tend to categorize gear in systems. I have cooking systems; shelter systems; sleeping systems; water purification and storage systems; fire and heat systems; security systems; pet systems; all season clothing systems; medical and hygiene systems. Have I missed anything? I have planned gear out like rooms in a house complete with checklists, so I know where everything is, and nothing gets left behind.

I have the tools to be able to build or repair anything I would need. I have built in redundancies, so should something break or become unusable it can be replaced. All of this is mobile, and can be carried by hand. Granted, if it were a true bug out situation the first trip would be car camping. All of it could be loaded in one car and transported to a BOL. I have tried to be as thorough as I can, and tried to think out every eventuality. If I fall short it won't be for lack of trying.

3. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I took care of that part 20 years ago.

I live 7 miles from a one stoplight town, and own 40 acres of woods and cropland, surrounded by more of the same.

There is abundant wildlife, and a large "canal" that I've never seen go dry traverses the property.

The soil tends to be sand and clay so it's possible to drive a well by hand and hit water at less than 25 feet in most places, and in the lower parts of my property I can hit water at less than 10 feet.

While a well that shallow wouldn't be suitable for drinking, it could be used for many other tasks, and could be distilled to provide potable water.

I can also draw water directly from the canal to use for irrigation as is or flushing toilets with some simple filtering.

We have deer, bear, and assorted small game, and I'm within a mile of a major river with many tributary creeks.

There is swampland where I can hunt ducks and crop fields for doves and pigeons.

I also have traps for birds as well as separate coops for pigeons and chickens or ducks.

I can also trap rabbits, squirrels, coons, possums and fox, and have seen all of those in the yard without even leaving the house.

I have about 6 acres of fenced pasture and several barns where I can raise livestock, and I am currently set up to have as many as 7 female rabbits for breeding. I have the materials to make more cages or pens as needed.

I can raise goats, sheep, cattle, hogs, chickens, ducks, pigeons, rabbits, horses and dogs with the facilities I already have in place.

I won't be "bugging out" to live in the country.
    I'll just be going out my back door.

4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well done Snyper.
    7aca0e6437b0e3473b9c95f229e547fe.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    7aca0e6437b0e3473b9c95f229e547fe.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well........It has for the last 49 years in remote Alaska. In fact at this point it grossly exceeds my needs. I am going to start selling off everything.[/QUOTE]

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I bugged out of the city 20 years ago:p

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I don’t have it all together yet, but I’m working on it. I’ve already moved to my bug out location. Depending on how bad it is when SHTF is, I may need to bug out of my bug out location. I’m developing some strategic cach locations and have work to do here. As far as my live in bug out location, I am always looking to improve upon my position, but it’s well set for the items listed in the OP.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.