Long Time Hiker Long Time Camp New To Prepping

Discussion in 'Weekend Campers' started by BigZirp, Sep 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BigZirp

BigZirp Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    I have been camping and hiking for many years. Im not ready to go full blown prepper but i want to put a Bug Out Bag together. Here is my question. I live in New England so Im faced with Urban, Coastal, and woodland survval along with Hot summer temps and freezing, lot of snow temps in the winter. How do i plan a bag for both temp extremes and the multiple terrains without being too cumbersome nor do i want to have multiple bags?

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Squirtgunsquirter

Squirtgunsquirter Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    My first post is a thread resurrection!

I am in Wisconsin, and I am in the outdoors a lot. I have some experience with bags, so definitely in my wheelhouse, but still just my opinion.

After a bunch of experimentation, I ended up with a Seal Line Propac 115L. Its cavernous. I DIY my own roll top bags to subdivide everything inside. It is fine in low temps, I can just chuck into the canoe with no worries, and once I make up a somewhat complicated (the bag isn't that easy to attach to externally) molle panel, I can attach things like I would any military style pack. So everything in one bag, machete and Katanaboy on the outside, and waterproof. Without food, guns, or ammo, I'm into the 28/29# range with my current gear. With the AR, a 9mm on the waist belt, and a minimal ammo loadout, things get heavy quick, but if there is a way to have it all, I haven't found it.

It's big, but it's the best I could come up with for a single bag, dump out/dump in solution. Like a waterproof seabag with a functional hip belt. IMO, you do need to make or buy smaller bags to keep everything organized, otherwise it would be a proper mess digging around in there in the cold, damp, and dark.

Morgan101, OneFoot and BigZirp like this.
  3. lalakai

lalakai Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Also consider rotating your bags for the different seasons. If you anticipate being in a vehicle for a high percentage of your time, compile a core bag that covers the basics, and add another bag for the differences in the seasons.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      140/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Lalakai. I drive the same vehicle 99% of the time. I have a core bag that is in the vehicle all the time. I swap small Winter and Summer bags, which are additions to the core bag. The small Winter and Summer bags are mostly clothing that would be more appropriate to the seasons.

TMT Tactical likes this.