Los Angeles Food Storage Question

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by SPGuy, Sep 6, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SPGuy

SPGuy New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    New to food preservation but have been doing a lot of Study. I am first going to explain the situation and then ask my question.

Plan:I am looking to really only store dry goods such as rice, cornmeal, beans and so on as an emergency supplement to what I can harvest from the ocean if times get really bad. I am a free diver/spear fisherman and know what I can and can not eat from the ocean. I have been vacuum sealing the rice, beans, corn etc. in ball Jars as I proceed.

question: Everywhere I look it states to keep the temp to 70F or less for long term storage of vacuum sealed Jars. The temp at my house is usually mid 70s-80s but in August September we do get consecutive days where it hits mid 90s-100s. We don’t have AC so the house can and does get hot even though I put the storage food in the coolest places I can.....how much does the heat knock off of the shelf life?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Alright I'm someone from tropical climate (6° S) meaning the typical temperature without any sunlight (indoor) is typically over 30°C / 86°F with humidity always over 90%. With added direct sunlight at midday it will feel as over 41°C / 106°F on your skin albeit with slightly less than 80% humidity.

As foods perseverance goes, no commercial (supermarket items) packaging could survive more than 2 years. Without any freezer or tightly climate controlled room you can't preserve any foods for even medium term. My solution for it is for consuming my own foods prep every month FIFO (First In, First Out) while the combat ration (standard issue) get consumed near their stated expiry date

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. SPGuy

SPGuy New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    thank you for the reply

TMT Tactical likes this.