Luxury House Design To Mitigate Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Aug 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ansions-to-tame-disaster-losses-idUSKCN1VK195

Good morning all,

Article about luxury houses designed to mitigate disaster losses.

Note picture of "lightning repellent system".

I'm impressed with driveway designed for fire trucks.

Don't understand the mitigation aspect of a ceramic shingle looking like wood.

Can't some live in a luxury shack that's not lavish ?

Well prior to 2007, risk management companies, typically enough being insurance companies, provided services for overseas offices and facilities. One of the best-designed I remember is Chase Manhattan Bank Jakarta, Indonesia.

If some extra left-over beer money (Coors brand for this article ?), a helipad can be built. Actually, they're easy enough to prep. I've done it. The mast for the wind sock was completely vertical but, admittedly, the painted circle with capital letter "H" wasn't a professional paint job. No one noticed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It is nice to dream about how you would spend the lottery money you are going to win. I'm afraid that is the only way I could afford these expenditures. My guess is the ceramic tiles are fireproof, and have been designed with some decorative properties, so your house doesn't look like the Space Shuttle. I'm not so sure about a cistern or water cache system. Nice to have but many states frown on that. Not the insurance company's call. What is the law?

Somehow even after all these years I have not developed a need for a $100,000.00 room to store my artwork. I think the $59.99 aluminum storage shed from Home Depot will work just fine.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

LOL - What's the grid coords and ZIP for that Home Depot ? I could use one of those storage sheds.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  5. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Pragmatist: Here you go. My pricing was a little off, but that might indicate how long it has been since I bought one.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage...0o6jv?storeSelection=3011,3002,3010,3037,3007

I'm pretty sure we all have a much better idea of what to do with $100 Grand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Was only joking with the location in Missouri. Will be at our local Home Depot today or tomorrow. The place won't be busy until the hurricane traffic surge arrives in Virginia and the local fools wake up as to the need for batteries, duct tape and work gloves.

7. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I know. Me too. Let's have some fun. Is it just me, or does Florida seem to be doing better this time? From the news reports I have seen people are doing their due diligence now; prepping and getting ready to GOOD as soon as the word hits. Preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best. I don't hear anybody saying they are going to ride it out. Have they finally learned?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Won't say "better". It's too early to say.

I will say the nursing home warehouse racket (Medicaid/Medicare funded) is undergoing a thinning -out.

"They" see what happened in Puerto Rico with their welfare status ending.

I've been watching Panhandle Florida and can guess it's similar to regular Florida. The government's not going to pay for nice living conditions.

The trend is clear enough; public funds won't pay for the comfortable living anymore.

Back to the overall question; it's too early because there might be large refugee populations in the state not known to us up here. A refugee has status like a welfare recipient. They have better economic circumstances than a private citizen at minimum wage with a disability.

9. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I love how the author tossed in the tidbit about how these things will get worse as global cooling, wait... global warming, opps crap missed again... Climate change occurs

To be honest, like in the past as some of these things become common place they'll move from the realm of luxury to spec'd or in codes. like those water sensors to be used with washers and hot water tanks.

So is lightning repellent a new expensive way of saying lightning rod?

The driveway and gates being big enough for a truck, be it a firetruck or a moving truck, that is just not being an idiot.

I do like the under ground retention system. Those are becoming huge for commercial installs like Walmart parking lots. I'd also want in ground cisterns plumbed into filtration system. But like Morg says a lot of states now have laws against "harvesting" "their" rainwater. But in this money level of people a little campaign contribution and poof they get a waiver or variance.

As Morg said the tiles would be for fire prevention be they ceramic or even plastic of the latest with solar panel technology. I'm betting that built in roll down shutters would also be common place especially down south. Also things like heated walks and driveways to not only keep from having to clear them in winter but to also ensure they stay cleared and ice free.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Country Guy,

Real good points; the luxury improvements to a pre-built structure will enter the phase of codes, specs, inspections, higher cost repairs, higher cost maintenance,...

Yes, the lightning rod renamed ! Now, watch detached houses become priced out of the affordability range of the middle class. Heated driveways presumes a car is affordable.

Unfortunately in this area - well beyond my county - idiots are as numerous as deer flies, wasps, mosquitoes, ... We have "church groups" who build for "free" wheelchair ramps for disabled persons living alone in a house. The new ramp interferes with emergency vehicle access to this house. The situation is dangerous.

TMT Tactical likes this.