M21 Or M40 Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Colt Eckert, Jun 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Colt Eckert

Colt Eckert Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    In a Mogadishu (or Blackhawk Down) type situation which rifle would be more effective in your opinion? This would be in addition to your AR style primary weapon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Along side your AR15, I would go with a mag fed shotgun, given the described event. Urban fighting is not going to require more range that your AR15 and many if not most of the shooting will be close range snap shots. Your opponents are not going to be wearing level 4 body armor and the building material is not likely to withstand too many rounds of direct fire. JM2C

wally and Caribou like this.
  3. Colt Eckert

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Y'know that is a good point. Still there may or may not be a situation that would require long range. But like you mentioned that probably won't be very likely. Better to be over prepared than not though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll pass on both options offered.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    If we switch from urban fighting to field recon patrol fighting, then we have to consider rate of fire (bolt vs. semi auto) Weight, mag capacity, and a few more variables. In the jungle, I may prefer the M40, as I would not be planing on a fire fight but a sniper action. In the middle east country side, I would probably go with the M21 for the increased rate of fire. In the hands of a good marksman, both will get the job done at long ranges.

Caribou and Colt Eckert like this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL>...Wondering how many of us can even afford an M40 or M21 type rifle.
    Also I think these are more in line with stand off type weapons..to be used from concealment..and at range....not close in.

But agree with TMT Tactical ..in street to street ..house to house...in Mogadishu....shotgun...would greatly help.

Not sure...but are there not shotgun arrangements which can be added beneath the barrels of an M16 or M4 today...sometimes magazine fed....close in shotguns???

Or even shotgun type charges for the M40 grenade launcher???

The olde timers with whom I've had the privilege of speaking.. ..who survived WW2...told me that when going into these French villages...house to house...they did not like the M1 Garand rifle....they wanted a shotgun..but they were not plentiful...

What many soldiers wound up doing was turning in their M1 Rifles for the Thompson 45ACP machine gun or the Grease gun also in .45ACP..for close in house to house work.
    These tools would work close up..but what they really wanted was a shotgun...as most of them were raised with the shotgun and knew their raw power..and of what they were capable close up.

I understand this has been proven again today in house to house in Iraq and Afghanistan....with todays shotguns. The shotgun is not obsolete and fills a very important niche.

But then again..how many of us can afford such tools as the shotgun beneath the AR platform.?? Are they even available to the general public???

Seems to me that the Military has shotgun rounds not sold to the general public!!!??

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Colt Eckert

33/58

Blog Posts:
    Those are all good points and from a tactical pov a shotgun would be good to have in the arsenal. And yes the SRS is going to be very expensive unless one finds one used and for a decent price. I think you are for more likely to be able to pick up an AR type off the street though. 223/5.56 rounds are probably going to be plentiful as are 12 gauge shells. But if you are sitting on the tower or on top of a building or even taking cover behind your humvee (or side-by-side) and need to engage or make contact with an armed enemy from a distance then a decent long range rifle would be helpful. At least that is my humble opinion and 2 cents.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. SparkyRed

SparkyRed New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I would most likely go old-school. A vintage bolt-action rifle w/scope for long distance. For clearing houses or close quarters an AR platform would be imo more practical. A 12 gauge and sidearm as well.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    My arsenal is determined by usage need and distance. Usage need:

1 Up close and very personal---- Hand gun, ar15 pistol, and of course the very versatile shotgun.

2) Force multiplier situation -- AR15 platform again- rifle length, many calibers to choose from, 556, 762 x 39. 300 black, 6.5 Grendel, etc..

3) Long distance shooting. Here I would go with a solid bolt action hunting rifle. There are too many calibers to list but they will get the job done.

Now if money is tight, a person could go with an AR10 platform and have a force multiplier and long distance shooter combined. Just remember the increase ammo cost for maintaining your shooting skills. Just my thoughts on how I am selecting my firearms.

SparkyRed likes this.
  10. SparkyRed

SparkyRed New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    True enough. The right tools for the job is priority one. Always better to be over prepared than being caught without adequet eqipment

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would go with the M-40. I like the traditional lines and for long distance sniper type shooting a bolt action is fine. Even better would be their new Mod 13 Mk 7 300mag rifle. Talk about reach out and touch someone. A Barrett would be nice but weighs too much and that 50 BMG round is a little too much both in weight and recoil for anything normal. It is more of a placed weapon than a portable one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    In a Blackhawk Down situation besides an M-4? Rather than the wight of another gun and ammo, I'll take a can or two of 5.56 ammo. Their problem was not shooting at long distance but running out of ammo.

pacmantacman and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm writing this while very tired. Do forgive. Shortly, I'll be adding some tequila.

Time was -- and everybody is going to remember this -- scout-sniper team was a spotter equipped with an M14 variant and the sniper with an M40, a.k.a modified Remington 700. Shooter gets his directions from the spotter. I don't know how to say the following without sounding like some sh##, but the guy who really has to have the brains/training/Zen (plus the freaking radio) is the spotter. Somebody chime in here and add to what I've said. Set me straight. Fill in the blanks.

I comment so I can get in my wish list to Santy Claws. Herezzzz the toy this old phart has at the top of his bucket-list. I want a SprngFld arms M1A Tanker. I've held them. Luv at first hug. As a boy, could field strip an M14 and re-assemble in 45 seconds.

6595c35c283c642a51447addbfaccb6d.png

6595c35c283c642a51447addbfaccb6d.jpeg

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    As I understand it, the spotter and shooter are both trained to do each others job. The real test is can they both do the math and shoot the the weapon the same. My son and I can both do the math but he will beat me at the range. Don't tell him I said that.

Caribou likes this.
  15. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The spotter and the shooter typically trade off. You can only stay "on the scope" for so long before you loose your edge.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. SparkyRed

SparkyRed New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes the spotter and sniper do split up. They do their own thing dictated by the given situation. But yes they are almost always together. They don't have to be best friends but they do have to get along.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I spent a year assembling a Long Range rifle (Remington #85197) optic set-up, only to discover that I had developed AMD (Age-related Macula Degeneration) in my right eye. Being right handed for 72+ years.........I attempted to shoot left handed, but it is simply never going to work. I can't consistently mount the rifle. I am sad about going blind.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry about the loss of sight. Blindness would be my worst nightmare. I am right handed but I do shoot long guns left handed. With more practice, maybe you can make the adjustment. I primarily shoot hand guns right handed. My shooting style does raise some comment at the range.

Maybe you could change to a lighter stock and be able to mount the rifle. Some of those new composite stocks are pretty darn light. You could also consider a carbon fiber barrel further reduce the weight. I will keep my fingers crossed that you do find a way to continue your shooting activities.

19. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    To be honest, I could think of a lot of things I'd rather spend my money n than either a slicked-up Remington 700 or M1A1 -- like fencing in another pasture or building a smaller barn! My particular version of a "sniper rifle" is an old Mossberg bolt-gun in .30-'06 and a mid-range Nikon 3-9 X 50 scope. It shoots better than I ever will and works just fine, even though I lose a tenth of a second chambering a round with a long-action bolt.

Why would anyone who wants to survive and prosper in a SHTF scenario want to buy one of those gold-plated boogers?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @Duncan

Some can afford those "Gold Plated Boogers" and not miss the dollars. More power to them. ME, my rifle is Thompson Center 6.5 Creedmoor. The scope is a Vortex 6-24 x 50. this is a budget rifle I have tuned and it will shoot out past 1,000 yards. Your Mossberg probably cost more than my T/C Compass. Your scope may have cost more than my scope (I got a very good deal). So maybe you have the "Silver Plated Booger" and I have the "Bronze Plated Booger". What ever each want and can afford is okay by me. I know some that have a 50 BMG, too much for me but they enjoy it.

Duncan likes this.
  21. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  23. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
  24. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That's what I was shooting for.

I mean, if you're a rifle fanatic, then you can come up with better combos; however, some folk visiting our site are looking for a ready "package". Y'know, "What's the best bang for my buck?" These rifles "on a budget" more than "kind'a-sort'a" fill the bill. I'm so glad to see rifle manufacturers meeting the needs of this market.

And I like short rifles. I like short rifles that have more than enough power to put meat in the freezer, plus can perform as a battle rifle. When it hits the fan, a person is going to need to defend what is theirs, put meat on the table, and kill vermin animals. Post SHTF, the number of feral dog packs are going to more than quadruple. Deer = meat. Plus, if a homestead is put upon by feral human packs, they can be engaged at-distance by accurate rifles. You felons, come within 500 yards of my loved ones and I'll make your life hell.

TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  25. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I like both, the m-40 i would love to fire this and see how good i am , but this is only good at very long range not really a defense weapon , for proof of this try shooting something that you see up close and find it in the scope. takes forever .
    I already own a m-14 so i am sold on it, good for every thing up close and long range, i like the combat sights , quick to find and lock in on target.
    as to the 300 mag the recoil is a bitch .
    My two cents

TMT Tactical, wally and watcherchris like this.
  26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One can always use see-through scope mounts so that one can use iron sights close-in, or use the scope for further ranges.

upload_2021-6-26_22-22-40.png

I like the red-dot reticle for the rapid acquisition of close-in targets. The size/brightness of the red dot is adjustable so that it can be used during day or the darkness of night. Point and shoot.

upload_2021-6-26_22-26-49.png

Sometimes center-fire rifles are too penetrative. Say you live in an apartment or you live near other homes -- over-penetration can put innocents at risk. Then again, one may have to shoot through flooring/ceiling-construction/stair-steps to take-out an aggressor. Sometimes one may be forced to shoot through exterior walls or steel doors to engage the enemy. There is the matter -- especially in this day and age -- of drive-by shooters. Korean merchants during the 1992 L.A. riots had to deal with car-loads of gang-bangers coming in 4-door sedans shooting at them as they defended their stores. Shotgun slugs and .30 cal. center-fire rifles have their place.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    . Where I live, i can't see far enough to have any need for a scope. Dense forrest actually makes a shotgun a best weapon for defence here. I have a scoped rifle but it would be used when I was away from home. A shotgun does a good job out to about 50 or 60 yards for most things and that is as far as I can see in any direction around my house. The would only e=really apply to out from across my front yard and into the front yard of the nearest house. I have nobody directly across and on either side that I can see. My kids live on the the three acres with me.

I actually like the idea of placed land mines to protect my place in the event of an end of the world senario. Place some signs and then shoot anyone that survives the mine field. Sadly to me is that after the fall the most dangerous flaw a person can have will be mercy or understanding. Put up a sign that states clearly the trespasser’s with be shot on sight and Then survivors will be shot again if necessary. Then DO IT WITHOUT MERCY!!!!

There will be millions of starving people that will be forced to evacuate the burning inhospitable cities. Some will be worthwhile. I will have a bell on my gate and talk to any that wish to talk. There are one acre lots on each side of me abou 500 behind me and quite a few accross from me. If people show up that are of the right sort we will expand. Loners will have a problem when the hoards of hungry monsters show up to take anything that you have.

I think that about twenty people would be near the minimum able to deal with tis sort of thing. Between layers of armed people. landmines, lots of barbed wire, and deadly booby traps will deter even idiots from making a second run at us. I live on a dead end road that is about a half mile long. We will close the road with our cars and make a kill on sight rule for any invaders.

Places that can't and won't do things like this are going to have a hard time surviving. When even good people start seeing their kids and loved ones die they are going to become very willing to take whatever you have to help those that they love. The ones that made NO preperations are going to be the worst of all. They have always felt like it was the responsibility of others to provide for them. They will look at you a a MONSTER that has hoarded what they should have received and when you don't give it up to them they will try to take it and kill you and your family without mercy. I will warn you once and tell you to leave. After that you are dog food and garden fertilizer to me.

wally, TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  29. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Very nice , when the border opens again i will come a shopping in the states.

TMT Tactical likes this.