Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BigZirp, Nov 14, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BigZirp

BigZirp Expert Member
      178/230

Blog Posts:
    What is your favorite Survivalist/ Prepper/ Outdoorsman Magazine? I have recently become a fan of "Richie's Magazine The Backwoodsman". It seems to be written by Outdoorsman not writers writing about living in the outfoors. Also its not over burdened by advertising.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Richie's magazine is probably as good as it ever was, I used to be one of the writers. But you can only write so much on a variety of subjects before you start repeating yourself. Pick up a copy now, & it will likely read the same as it did 20 years ago. Same for Muzzleloader magazine. My favourite used to be the "Australasian Survivor Magazine", but it went out of business, great pitty, good mag.
    Keith.

BigZirp likes this.
  3. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like that "Backwoodsman " magazine and get it every time I see a new issue on the stands.

Simple and down to earth is why I like it.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

BigZirp likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have written a few articles for the backwoodsman myself.

BigZirp likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I read Backwoodsman from cover to cover. It is the best but I also subscribe online to a UK magazine called Bushcraft & Survival Skills that is good too. Grit is good for a lot of gardening and farming stuff. I also read and subscribe to Guns and Ammo to keep up with what is new in weapons. Motherearth News is good reading and offers a lot of information about traditional and alternative ways of doing all sorts of things. In Fisherman is a good fishing magazine that I subscribe to, I have always read a lot. I probably read about 15 magazines a month.

BigZirp likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Texdanm,

Agree ...Mother Earth News is good...long before many of these other magazines were out ..there was Mother Earth News.

Backwoodsman I like too..

But you know...there are a lot of prepper magazines out on the stands today..but I've found myself disappointed in them all....for some reason..and prefer Backwoodsman and or Mother Earth News.

I too have read a lot....and often when slack time comes up I let the boss know where to find me and hole up with a book or magazine if nothing is going on. I don't like sitting around with most of the guys talking about Alcohol, women and sports. Not for me thanks.

I just got done reading "The Antifa Handbook " by Mark Bray....

https://www.amazon.com/Antifa-Anti-Fascist-Handbook-Mark-Bray/dp/1612197035

It was a let down..and in places did not make good nonsense..but I struggled through it.

The author poses questions and then answers these posed questions ..with other questions. I am not keen on that method ..but wanted to read the book to see how far down the rabbit hole this kind of thinking an or justification goes today.

I consider this book to be a look into madness..but was interested in the logic or lack thererof..

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

BigZirp likes this.
  7. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I used to get the following magazines and i read them all cover to cover. outdoor life, field and stream, bass master, in fisherman. outdoor canada , chasse quebec ,and many more. but after a few seasons they all started to repeat themselves.
    i learned a lot how to sharpen a knife, how to skin a deer, how to shoot, and so many other things that i would be here all day listing them .

BigZirp likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you on this. Most of the expensive prepper magazines that I have bought were extremely short on information but big on advertising excessively expensive dodads. The articles generally give you the idea that if you buy a knife that costs less than a hundred dollars you are stupid. Most of them seem to me to be yuppie prepper magazines that give the idea that you can BUY your preparation.

Mother Earth News was doing this stuff 40 years ago. I learned a lot of great stuff from their publications.

BigZirp likes this.