Making Charcoal

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Corzhens, May 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Do you know how to make charcoal? I'm not sure if I remember correctly. The firewood is placed in a pit on ground then covered with soil. A bottle of kerosene is poured on the soil and there is a wick where you start the fire. But since there is soil, the wood will not burn. The chain reaction of the heat and kerosene with the wood creates the charcoal. They do that here in the rural areas for a living.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can make a small amount of charcoal in a tin with a press on lid. Use a nail to make a hole in the lid. Find a stick/twig to fit the hole in the lid. Place pieces of wood in the tin & fit the lid firmly. Place the tin on the fire. Smoke will pour from the hole in the lid, & these fumes may catch fire. This is okay. When the flame or smoke has ceased coming from the lid, carefully remove the tin from the fire & plug the hole in the lid with you twig. Allow the tin to cool & remove the lid.
    Keith.
    Here is the traditional way of making charcoal:

Mr Boots likes this.
  3. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    A pit is the oldest way of making charcoal it's why the one legged stool was invented as someone had to keep an eye on it at all time to make sure it does not take light so if u fell asleep while sitting u would fall over and hopefully wake up
    I hav done pit before with mixed results
    I find the pot way works better I watched it on a ep of Ray mears (
    ) when you use pine wood it has the added benefit of collecting pine sap which can be used as a wood preserver it u mix the sap 50-50 with finely powdered charcoal u get a natural compound that is malleable with heat and hard when cool

Keith H. likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I would think making your own charcoal would be a great way to survive in the world. I think that that it would indeed be a useful skill to have. You would have a fuel source at the ready,and a way to cook without constantly having to rely on wood as a fuel source. It is just one of the skills that a homesteader or survivalist would probably find useful to acquire.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only use for charcoal I have had is for making gunpowder.
    Keith.