Making Natural Utensils.

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by CamdenBC, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. CamdenBC

CamdenBC New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I have been reading a few books on outdoors preparation and I have been noticing the methods that are used in the book for cooking and other things so today I'm going to tell you about them, however, I don't just want to tell you mine I want to hear yours as well.
    So the first thing only requires you to have a few pieces of wood and a pretty good carving knife. So I think that I should probably mention the fact that you won't be able to make a for but a spoon and the other utensil I'm about to tell you about should help a lot. Alright now that you got your wood all you need to do is start carving it away from one end mainly till it is kind of in the shape of a spoon with one side being a little bit wider and thicker than the other, also the other side should be a lot thinner than the other side. Now that it has the slight shape of a spoon all you have to do now is widdle away at the centre of the wider piece of wood in a kind of oval shape. Then after doing that you can clean up the spoon a little bit and try to make it as smooth as possible to about getting splinters and other things in your mouth. Another utensil that you can make is a flipper almost which you can use to pick the thing up with like a fork. So for this one, all you have to do is get another piece of wood and shape it like the spoon. Now that you have that done all you will have to do is start scrapping the wood away from the thick side and make it till its almost flat now you can pick thing up with it for instance if you are cooking something that is very hot you can flip it with this, and keep in mind that you can make these at any size that is comfortable for you. If you have any other way of doing this please let me know. Also, there are a lot of other things I would love to share in this but I will have to make separate threads so they don't get too long.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only items I need to make when out bush are either a kettle hook or a pointy stick for roasting meat. Neither take a great deal of skill or time to make.
    [​IMG]

3. Jeremy-K

Jeremy-K New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Bamboo is a great lumber to get a hold of. You can use it for chopsticks with simply cutting out the allotted size needed. They can be 'cured' via heat not necessarily an open fire. It can also be a useful tool to make it as a nail to connect other pieces of bamboo together to build a shelter. If you have a knife/ability to shape cut and shape bamboo, I think this would be a great method as it is versatile.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have joined some camping trips with relatives but the main purpose is to swim in a secluded river. That's where I had seen the natives making spoon from bamboo. There's also the utensils from the coconut shell which are cute that I brought home some of it. As I saw it, it's just a matter of creativity and those rural folks learned that from their tradition. And based on my own observation, it is usually the coconut tree or the bamboo grove that would serve you good when it comes to utensils.

5. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think it would take some time and skill to fashion utensils out of wood. I think a better bet would be to find some sort of material from the outdoors you could use. There are such a variety of things found in nature, that I don't think it would take too long at all to find things you could use that could replace utensils in some form. It would just be a project.

6. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Gourds used to be obtained from gourd plants after drying them in the run to acquire hardness and a uniform brown colour. The gourds are split into two equal halves when they are still green to make ladles for putting food into plates. Gourds are also used in other areas to store porridge but these utensils are seldom found in my region due to cheap plastic utensils which have flooded the markets.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    The thing is you have to be in an area where you can easily get your hands on gourds. We have them in this country, but unless it is Halloween, where every other house has a pumpkin, you are not too likely to find them available. They aren't just lying around on the ground easily accessed here.