Manners???

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by TexDanm, Feb 6, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK this may or may not be applicable everywhere like it is where I live BUT it is something worth thinking about.

In the past people that lived in the more rough and ready places tended to be rather tough on people with no or bad manners. Even a hundred and fifty years ago if you ran your mouth and called someone a liar or defamed their honor you could find yourself either in a world of hurt or maybe DEAD.

What most people don’t understand is that the laws and police primarily protect the stupid, rude, lazy, criminal and just plain evil. They can only do something after someone has done something. That means that most people resist reacting to people that really are in desperate need of having their ass kicked. The cops know who the criminals are. There is nothing that they can do to them unless they almost catch them in the act. Laws ONLY affect the actions of honest people.

What this means is that when our culture goes down and cops are no longer protecting people with bad manners and assorted criminal behaviors, they are going to be on THIN Ice. Right now, if you call me a liar it isn’t worth my time to kick your ass and then have to deal with the cops. Take away the cops and stupid people with out of control mouths may get hurt of killed. If you steal from me, I WILL kill you and if you lie about me I WILL come hunt you down.

Honor is critical when you are living on the edge. You HAVE to know who you can trust and who will stab you in the back if it benefits them. Lazy people will not be able to sit on their butts and have the government feed, clothe and house them. They are going to become useless beggars and thieves.

After things settle down there are going to be a LOT of problems that have been kept down over the years that are just not going to go away unfortunately. I was raised in Klan country for example. I don’t expect that those rednecks in Snuff Gully are going to change and without cops or laws they will be tough to deal with for minorities.

In general, in a post-apocalyptic world you will be well served by being polite and not run your mouth. There will be no cops to come and protect you if you insult someone and they decide to kick your butt. There also aren’t going to be any ambulances or hospitals to come get you and fix you up.

I will tell you up front that this won’t be as big of a problem where I live as in a lot of places. We are already a pretty rough crowd and in general are taught by our parents to have manners. Those that don’t learn it from parents learn the hard way and will either learn to be quiet or end up getting beat on. It is going to be a world more like the early 1800s than people want to believe. In 1800 if you mouthed off you could find yourself on the field of honor facing a man with a dueling pistol or a big knife. It was at just such a place that the legend of Jim Bowie got its start.

Sam Houston beat a man half to death on the floor of congress for calling him a liar! It is really sort of funny that in a time when you might have to put your butt on the line for the stuff your mouth put out that people had better manners.

One of the things that I don’t think is going to go back to this is that women and minorities are not going to step back into a second-class or third-class position. It is going to be a mess until people learn to get along with each other again.

There are so many prejudices! We seem to hate anyone that is not almost just like us. The truth is that people are all basically the same. Skin color, sex, nationality, religion, we all worry about our kids and loved ones and want to protect them. I expect there to be a lot of new alignments. I for an example have a lot more in common with a black man from rural Texas than I ever will with a white man from one of the huge megalopolises up north. We share a common heritage and world view. I don’t care what your religion is as long as your word is good and you can be depended on.

Vietnam made a lot of men reevaluate what they had thought about other people. When you serve with people from other places and other races you suddenly find out that most of your prejudices were just either misunderstandings or out and our lies told by bigots. Vietnam was the first war that was fought by a fully integrated military.

My point in all of this is that you want to get along with people. Fights can leave you crippled for life! ANY fight that you can avoid is a plus and a win. We have gotten so that many of us let our mouths run especially online. If you make that mistake face to face in a world where everyone is stressed and wound up tight you are going to get hurt bad. They might not even be honorable about it and after thinking about it for a while they might just shoot you and be done with it. There won’t be any CSI out there solving your murder. Hell, you just went out one day and never were seen again. This sort of thing was no uncommon in the old west.

Survival past just living through another day is going to require some level of dealing with other people. There are GOING to be rules and the penalty for breaking them isn’t going to be just hurt feelings. We, nowadays, throw out insults like water and use all manner of foul language. That is because the cops protect these low life individuals from repercussions of their actions. Now our kids see it on TV and hear it every day and consider it “cool” to talk like a ghetto thug.

My Grandfather beat a man with a horse whip and then gave him until dark to leave town and never come back because after that the next time he saw him he would kill him. The man left because he knew that he was lucky to be alive and wanted to keep it that way. Why did this happen? The man lost his temper and let go with the F word in front of my Grandmother. The fact is, if he had killed him it wouldn’t have been murder. It would have been considered justifiable homicide. No jury would ever convict a man for defending his wife from such behavior.

Violence is always right under the skin. Humanity is the true king of beasts because he killed anything that disputed his place in the food chain or pecking order. We developed a culture in the Western world that worked fairly well for us and the people in the East did the same. In the west we have allowed our culture to become corrupted. We gave out too many rights that had no responsibility tied to them. We allowed equality to mean everyone is equally LOW because if someone won’t step up it isn’t fair for those that do have things that those that won’t can’t afford. We have made being lazy and worthless a successful life style choice.

All the things that have made these people so that they can live very well without working will be suddenly GONE and rioting only works when you have cops keeping the victims from defending themselves. When the fires burn out and die it will be a new world. In that world calling people obscene names won’t be cool. It will get you killed. Threatening people or trying to intimidate them won’t be smart. Manners and at least the appearance of honor will return as the best way to survive.

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Is this a covert message to other members of this or other forums...??? You somewhat slightly eluded to that early on in your essay. Either way it is a nice and thoughtful essay.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not aimed at anyone. It is just food for thought. I have noticed in forums all over the place that people seem to love to act like a$$holes for no apparent reason. I know that most of them are mice that probably would never open their mouths in face to face public. Nonetheless this got me to thinking about how these people are gong to get along in a world without the current protections of freedom of speech. Even now I have seen a lot of fools that let their mouths overload their butts and get hammered. I don't see people getting more forgiving in a world that has gone down the tubes.

4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people on several forums, consider me to be excessively pushy, especially as to getting serious about prepping for survival. I am OK with that, I am even OK with it to the point that if I get Banned.......I figure that was worth it to me.

I figure this "Prepping for Survival" is the single most important issue that can actually make a difference. So.....I push, and I push, and I push, and if just one person gets peed'off at me enough, to actually up's their efforts, or hopefully embarks on a massive review and assessment of their "Prepping for Survival" and make some quantum shift of their priorities. Then I feel it was worth whatever wrath befalls me, including getting banned.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Great post Texdamn. The old saying will definitely apply. Don't let your alligator mouth overload your rabbit azz. I remember an incident in California were there was a person shooting other drivers on the freeway. It was very interesting that driving manner drastically improved until the guy was caught. Proof positive of you post. Manner are going to improve and a lot of folks will pay the price until they figure it out or are dead.

Sourdough likes this.
  6. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Definitely important. That's why my generation is 80% screwed if TEOTWAWKI happens. Also because they couldn't defend themselves if you paid them to.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife has preached this for years, and I completely agree with her. This can all be boiled down to one word " CONSEQUENCES ". I don't know if it is even in the dictionary anymore. In todays' society there are no consequences for bad behavior; no matter how heinous; no matter how abhorrent. There are no consequences for anything. Everything is about "ME". It doesn't matter who I hurt, as long as I am happy and get what I want. You can't say that to ME. You are invading my happy space. You MIGHT make me feel bad, and I will have to go to counseling, so you are a horrible person. Who the (expletive deleted) ever heard of or cared about a microaggression? The correct response to Thank You is You are Welcome. Not "No Problem". Sorry that makes me CRAZY!! Off the soap box now.

I will be the first to admit I was born 100 years to late. I think I would have been much happier in the Old West. I have certainly seen things change in my career from a man's word is his bond, to you better get it in writing because a man's word wasn't good anymore, to even if you have it in writing we don't care, sue us. No consequences to bad, even illegal behavior. I hope the pendulum swings back. IMHO it would be a much better society.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Poor manner are often a product of poor role models. I live in the UK and, as most of you will be fed up of hearing, we have a thing called Brexit going on. Politicians of several parties (unlike the US we have a multi party system) have throughout the campaigns associated with Brexit been momentously rude to their peers and opposition. Conduct of that nature in any other workplace would, in all likelihood, result in dismissal.

Then we have films, oh boy has Hollywood got a lot to answer for in some of its products. Some films have so many F words in them that the effect of the word is lost and demeaned.

Then we have TV, yup, British TV is rife with foul language too.

I guess the net result is that our youngster pick it up and use it, maybe not in our houses but out with their own peer group. I guess that generally bad manners are spread that way too.

I feel it is a shame, we should all respect everyone else even when we dislike each other somewhat.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    People that are somewhere near my age had heroes that were REAL. Audi Murphy, Sargent York and the many great Generals that led us in the World Wars. To me most of the men of my fathers generation were heroes. My Dad was in the navy and learning how to fly when he was 16. He joined the navy because they would take you at 16 and the army required you to be 17. His big brother was already in the Army Aircorp. He had actually gone and enlisted in Canada before the US entered the war and then transferred to the US air corp when we declared war. I had a friend that went to war on December 8th. He was already Army reserve. When he left home his wife was pregnant. When he came home his son answered the phone when he called to let them know he was stateside. He served in North Africa and came all the way to Berlin up though Italy. He stayed for the Nuremberg trials and was one of the last to come home.

Our TV and movies heroes were all GOOD GUYS. You knew that Martial Dillon and Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger were good and that they were heroes. Look at the people that our kids and grand-kids idolize now and try to emulate. Now thugs, gang Bangers and untalented Punks with foul mouths are the "heroes" of WAAAAY to many. The sad thing to me is that WE are to blame because we have somehow allowed this to happen. In the effort to make all people equal we have instead of lifting up the lower elements of our society instead lowered to their level. Honor is dead. Manners are for stupid people and being a tough thug is better than getting an education and being a productive citizen.

To some extent manners are a reflection of honor and respect. Now respect has come to mean something unearned. These idiots claiming that I disrespected them hate it when I tell them that I haven't disrespected them because I never respected them in the first place because they have done NOTHING worthy of my respect. Respect is EARNED by your actions, Honor is gained through you steady effort to be and act in an honorable fashion. Manners are a show of respect and a way to honor someone that you respect.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  10. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm, you make a very good point about respect.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    very few people in the UK have any manners anymore, it seems to have gone out the window, very few open doors for others anymore, no one gives up seats on buses or trains, and as for walking on the outside of your female companion no one would know what you are talking about.
    but have a different opinion on something online and we'll be jumped on soon enough.!!
    and there is so much bad language on tv and in real life which is just not necessary.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.