Materials you can use to make clothes

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Rosyrain, Jul 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Well-Known Member
      68/99

Blog Posts:
    If you were to ever be in a long term survival situation, or you just want to go all natural, what are some materials you can find out in the wilderness to make clothes with. The obvious answer to me would be animal skins and furs that you can treat and shape into clothing, but what are some other ideas? I once heard that Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest used to make clothes out of cedar.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fleece, goat hair, Some plant fibres can be used to make capes, but I think it would be too rough to wear against the skin (here). Brain tanned animal skins seems to be the best bet.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Buy good stuff carhart coats and pants bibs aregreat military surplus camo shirts pants socks underwear longjohnns stashedand stored away. These with care last a long time

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Hemp make great rope and clothing that wears great

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose in the end it will come down to fur and skin/leather, I don't think we can grow anything else here, cotton dosent grow in this country, we could use sheep or alpaca wool.
    I don't know about anyone else but I've got enough clothes stored away to last me several years, I've got enough jackets to last the rest of my life.