Modern Wood Burning Stoves

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Coputere, Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    7970_stor.png One of the leading causes of cancer today is low the quality of thermal radiation in methods we prepare food with.

Wavelength of the heat rays, determines how many nutrients are still present in the food after is cooked.

The most dangerous wavelength being the shortest wave which is used to cook microwaveable food products.

The longest wavelength is from a wood burning stove, using this method preserves more nutrients than any other method of cooking.

Even if you aren't a survivalist there are some modern wood stove designs for those transitioning for the healthier alternative.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This looks pretty cool, I bet the food taste better also. I wonder is this similar to grilling outdoors. For some reason food that is grilled or broiled taste way better. I have to agree a microwave is not a healthy way to cook food.

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This one is both, traditional and fancy . I love it and I have one but it is quite old. Still we use it very often since winters here in Serbia can last long and electricity is too expensive. The food is the best, our oven is not working but it used to and I remember making pizza in it and it was crazy delicious. I am always for this solution and I even teach my little nephew the basics. How to safely open the doors, to put the wood in and stuff like that.

4. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That looks pretty nice, I have to imagine it would be easier to just DIY this out of a fireplace or install it yourself? But nonetheless, that looks so classy :) I'd love one of these

5. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    First of all, I love the design of the one in the picture. I think it looks super great and matches the interior fantastically. My family has and older one that we used before out of necessity. It saves a lot of money. Plus if the power goes out during the winter, we are still able to stay warm.

6. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That is a beautiful stove! I have one that is in my backyard. We use it mostly to stay warm for outdoor parties (pretty rare) and it is a total antique This one is so modern and sleek. I bet it heats up that house real quick. My uncle has a wood burning stove in his living room and it gets so hot you want to open a window!

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 likes this.
  7. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If it has the ability to heat up the house like that then I am sure enough looking to purchase one.
    Since it is not going to need to be plugged up to anything you can literally put it anywhere.
    It looks pretty light as well, if you add some wheels you can make it portable for interchangeable use.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe there are some common-sense Americans left.

"Americans Panic-Buy Firewood And Stoves Amid Energy Crisis

"The global energy crisis has led to a spike in natural gas, heating oil, propane, and power prices, making the cost of heating a home this fall/winter very expensive. As a result, Americans are panic buying cords of wood and stoves to deflect soaring fossil fuel prices.

"Bloomberg spoke with US firewood vendors who said sales are booming ahead of winter. They reported the price of a cord of wood is skyrocketing.

"'At Firewood By Jerry in New River, Arizona, a cord of seasoned firewood -- roughly 700 pieces or so -- goes for $200 today. That's up 33% from a year ago. At Zia Firewood in Albuquerque, the price is up 11% since the summer to $250. And at Standing Rock Farms in Stone Ridge, a bucolic, little town in the Hudson Valley that's become popular with the Manhattan set, the best hardwoods now fetch $475 a cord, up 19% from last year. - Bloomberg'

"Some of the increased demand Hornbeck is speaking about comes from white-collar workers moving out of metro areas to suburban or rural locations over the last 18 or so months and have discovered their homes are outfitted with stoves and or fireplaces. The price for heating a suburban home is much higher than an apartment in the city, and perhaps with soaring energy inflation, wood is the cheapest way to heat a home (at the moment).

"Besides the price jump in firewood, wood stove dealers are reporting overwhelming demand. 'You can't get a stove until at least April,' Lakin Frederick, an employee at Central Arkansas Fireplaces in Conway, a suburb of Little Rock."

O.Gzr: Ain't'cha'glad you already have your wood stove! Preppers prove prescient!

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was way ahead of the event on this one , as I expect most preppers are . I already have my wood cook stove and my wood heater and a winters supply of firewood . Expecting a propane shortage this year , have been only using wood to heat my home so for , even though I expected this and pre-bought a tank of propane over 2 years ago . Only when propane prices really skyrocket will I call for my pre- paid propane , that I bought at a much lower price .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Master Survivalist
      285/345

Blog Posts:
    Firewood here right now is going for $60 a rick. Last year firewood was going for $45 a rick.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've collected all my firewood myself by hand, no cost involved just time and labour.

TMT Tactical and DirtDiva like this.