Money!!!

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by TexDanm, Oct 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    MONEY!!!

There is every possibility that the end of things as we know them may not be a one and done deal that hits like an atomic bomb and leaves total chaos. Imagine if the power just goes off and then never comes on again. No TV, No radio nothing!! All you know is what you can see. There is no news and no information. The big stores will close but some of the smaller places may reopen. Checks are going to be as useless as credit cards. With all of the banks being totally dependent now on computers any money that you have in the bank is GONE and hearsay. Cash is going to be king and there isn’t going to be a lot of it out there.

Most people these days just don’t have much cash on hand. There will be an opportunity for you if you have cash to get a lot of things that are going to disappear pretty fast. Even down the long road, there may be an ongoing value of cash. Barter only works for small simple exchanges. Money will return to what it really is. Money is supposed to represent some real work or things of value. Now the government has printed it and just given it away to the point where it is not nearly the value that it once was.

The nice thing about putting back cash is that it never loses its value as long as money has any value. I have over many years accumulated a rather large selection of possible future things of value. Money in small bills, 20s, 10s, 5s, and, 1s and lots of change can always be cashed in if you need it. I never pull change out of my pocket. It is a one-way trip. I pay with bills and then dump the change out of my pockets at home. I’ve been doing this for a lot of years and when I get enough, I fill the bottom part of a jeans leg with coins and sew it shut. I have a five-gallon bucket full of pennies. Before I retired I used to deposit my checks from jobs once a week and when I did that I always got 5 or 5 of the new small dollar coins. You can’t go wrong when you can buy a dollar for a dollar. They roll 20 to a roll and over the years I rolled up a bunch of them.

Then I like silver. I bought silver eagles when they were at 8 dollars a coin and always keep my eyes out for old silver coins. I have a mason jar full of old rings and jewelry that I have bought over the years. I can imagine basically trading 10 or 15 22lr for a dozen eggs or a frier size chicken someday. It’s not too late to start even now setting aside a little cash every week or gathering some can not lose investment like 22lr ammo and shotgun shells. Sugar will be nearly not to be had pretty fast. There will always be a market for cheap booze.

Where I live I expect the small town to revive pretty fast after about ¾ of the people die out. Ranches and people with big gardens will have things to offer. A clf has a lot of meat on it and a rancher has no use for the little bull calves. They get cut young and then sold when they weigh a few hundred pounds. Without the big meatpacking plants there just won’t be a big market for big steers and no feedlots to fatten them up. Calves are and will be the meat of choice. There are no freezers so you butcher a calf and trade the meat out on order. In rural places, this has been going on for decades. Even with freezers who wants to deal with several hundred pounds of meat.

Chickens and eggs have been “money” for country folks forever. Milk cows and milk goats will have a lot of trade value. In the real-world fat is hard to come by. Cattle raised in a pasture are almost as lean as a deer. Hogs that you cannot pen up and feed to fatten are pretty lean critters. It is going to be a long time before we will have grain just for fattening livestock. We usually did 25 acres of corn mostly to feed the hogs, horses and cattle to fatten them up. We used a little of it for ourselves but the great majority went to the animals. Can you IMAGINE trying to pull up rows, plant, and tend to 25 acres with nothing but manual tools??? Just not going to happen. Even if you have horses almost nobody has the harness and implements for them and the pleasure riding horses don’t make very good plow animals. There are almost NO mules left and no demand for the big plow and wagon horses. For one thing, they EAT a LOT!!!

There is going to be commerce as soon as things settle down just a little and that is going to require some sort of money. All money was ever meant to be was basically an IOU that you accepted for your work that others would accept for the things that they had that you wanted. People with skills will want to trade those skills for things and without money, you have to wait until someone wants your service in order to trade your skills for what they have. That never worked.

A lot of things will have unexpected value after the stores close for the last time and the looters have emptied them. Even things as simple and inexpensive as aspirin will have a value when there are no more to be had. Antibiotics will be priceless and if you need them you will pay for them. Depending on where you live you need to look and try to set aside some money and trade materials. When you wake up and the banks have been closed all you will have is the cash on hand. This has happened before. It could happen again.

TMT Tactical likes this.