More Worrying Required ?

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Pragmatist, Jul 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.livescience.com/66059-giant-ticks-hunt-down-prey.html

Good morning all,

Above is a decent light-reading article. There are some interesting hyper-links.

In the link titled "10 Important Ways TO Avoid ..." at "1." last paragraph with "scurry across...", this got my attention. I've had Lyme Disease although had DEET sprayed on me. The tick still got me !

Please read and reflect on above as a matter of personal safety. This is the first time I've read about "scurry across" for something else to worry about.

Ref the hyperlink's para 3, wasn't familiar with boots sold that were pre-treated with permethrin.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well that is just great news: a Predatory Tick :eek:. Where is the DDT when you need it?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a woman recently died from Lymes Disease, she didn't know a tick had got her and just felt unwell. it wasn't caught soon enough and she died.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan 101,

It's in Rachael Carlson's downstairs closet.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought DDT was banned?

6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

I'm definitely not up to date on this but DDT was banned in the US (and believe for imported food products) as an insecticide re foods.

It was (again, I'm not up to date on this) allowed to keep "bugs" / vermin away from some stuff. US Army sprayed it on stockpiles of wool socks to prevent vermin on the wool.

The good news is that the once high-quality Army wool sock - 100% wool with a dash of thin nylon reinforcing thread around toe section and heel section - are now 50% wool and 50% cotton. Thus, regardless of the absence of vermin, the socks are not to be used for GOOD and related dangerous situations.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    DDT was banned for agricultural use. It is still manufactured in India, and is still sold worldwide as a pesticide.

Pragmatist: Rachel Carson, Silent Spring. :( Did she pull a Ralph Nader? Buy up all the existing stock, and then when it is banned, sell it for an obscene profit? Maybe we should check her closet, and see what she is hiding.

Lonewolf: Maybe we need some new categories here. I just didn't seem right to say I "Liked" your post on the woman dying. o_O It was good information that you posted, which I appreciate. Hope it didn't come across that I liked that she had died.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm fairly certain that DDT was banned in the UK many years ago.
    no Morgan I didn't assume you "liked" the fact the woman had died.

9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon M101,

I've forgotten the background in re Rachael Carson and Ralph Nadar.

I just wonder if the health of the US population improved because of the DDT ban. What were the substitutes ?

10. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    No correlation between Rachel Carson and Ralph Nader. The irony if you will was that while Ralph Nader was vilifying Chevrolet he was busy buying Ford stock. A tidy profit was made. Jokingly Rachel Carson was buying DDT stock while writing a book to ban it. When you control the free world supply you can name your price.

I couldn't say if cancer rates or incidences were reduced after banning DDT. There is one school of thought that says the ban was instrumental in bringing back bald eagles which were endangered at the time.

Since virtually the entire world has stopped producing it, and many countries have banned it that to me would suggest that the data on how harmful it was must have been accurate.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    An addendum:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow...h-risks/mosquitoes-ticks-and-other-arthropods

At section "Repellent Efficiency", note discussion of DEET concentrations for effectiveness.

At section "Repellents and Sunscreen: first sentence.

This link has some useful hyperlinks.

Box 3 -02 - Bed Bugs - at "seek alternative lodging". For vermin reasons, I cannot ROFL. Consider sleeping on top of suitcase and wheeled duffel. Definitely carry 4 telescoping radio antennas to rig up mosquito net.

Good morning Morgan,

FWIW, I've heard over the years, Carlson's book "Silent Spring" provided foundation to inhibit subSahara Africa producing their world-quality bumper crop ag yields. Remember Rhodesia was a richer nation than RS Africa. Reducing African yields via the DDT ban helped Europe's CAP - Common Agricultural Policy and can guess America's. All above is just stuff I heard; don't know the ag business.

Didn't Ralph Nader run for some political offices ?

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, he actually ran for President in 2000. He was the candidate for the Green party. His net worth is listed at $6 Million, so activism must be a pretty lucrative profession.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan 101,

Appreciate info.

This is hilarious ! Nader made a pretty fortune. Yes, indeed, activism pays well.

TMT Tactical likes this.