Mosquito Growth In Container

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by overcast, Jul 12, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Recently we had this problem of Dengue mosquito. And due to which we had to give up some of the plants that were placed inside the water bottles. I want to know if we are to be in remote place away from city. How'd you deal with the mosquito problem? Do you think we have some sort of pesticide that we can add into the water or say in soil to prevent the mosquito from laying eggs?

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Do you have some lavender? I personally found out it's the most effective natural repellent against mosquitos (along with a few other plants like citronella).
    Also I read (haven't had any occasion to verify) that another effective weapons against mosquitos is garlic, which might be surprising but it actually make sense, since mosquitos are basically vampires.

3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have read that a thin film of vegetable oil over standing water can suffocate mosquito larvae. I'm not sure if it works but it could be worth an experiment.

overcast and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are no longer living in the tropics, so we don't have a big problem with mossies. But we do fit mesh over water tank overflows to stop the mossies getting into the tanks. Ystranc's idea of using vegetable oil should work fine, I have heard of this method before. Make sure you go around your yard/home & empty all items that are holding water & tip them up side down or dispose of them. Put fly screens on all your windows & doors to keep the mossies out of the house. You can also buy mossy coils to burn in your house which disguises what the mossies detect in your breath which is what attracts them to you in the first place.
    Out bush in the tropics I used to burn Buffalo dung, but it did not stop them completely.
    Keith.

5. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    This looks like a good method. I have not tried it yet. But based on some googling I am getting the similar suggestions. I think this can be a good option for getting rid of the larvae. I am going to try this out in one container. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We are currently testing a homemade insecticide. It is a concoction that is a mix of apple cider vinegar, shampoo and olive oil. You can spray it in your garden without worrying about the chemicals. We are spraying that concoction inside our house. It is safe even if we have dogs inside for it is not toxic like the commercial insecticide spray.

7. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I can't imagine what kind of smell could a mix like that produce! I'm sure it's effective against mosquitos & friends, but I guess it might even keep humans away! Or maybe not... does it smell that much?