Most basic survival item

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by oportosanto, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I have just joined the community and I am wondering about your opinion. What do you consider to be the most basic item for survival? At the top of my head the first thing that crosses my head is obviously water... What is your opinion?

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    For water, I would bring along a canteen. A flashlight with new batteries, a hunting knife and/or machete , waterproof set of matches, a raincoat, an iron cast pan, a backpack with some clothes and bedroll, a shovel, alcohol or flammable oil flask.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I asked Mr. Cluckeyo if he could only bring one item, what would it be. He said a tent. I think I would probably vote for good shoes. If you understood about my feet you would understand why I said that.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Good question! While I think a lot of things are essential for survival, I'm also pretty sure my main concern during a time of crisis would be clean water and nutritious food. If I know that I can sustain my energy, then locating shelter or distancing myself from further danger wouldn't be much of a challenge.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    If there were a catastrophe, I would get to the woods at fast as I could. And I would live off the land and drink from the streams. So there is no need for food and water, they are plentiful. But suppose I have 500 miles to travel, if I don't take care of my feet, I won't be going very far.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To be honest, I have never really understood the meaning of questions like this. I mean water is very important, but so are a lot of other things. I doubt very much that anyone would be restricted to grabbing just one item if they had to leave home. I don't understand the meaning of a "most basic item" in this respect. To me basic items are the Knife, the axe & the gun plus flint, steel & tinderbox. Everything I carry is purely for comfort/ease of living. I could leave home without anything & still survive, but life would not be pleasant until I was fully established, & even then I would be living a stone age lifestyle.
    Keith.

7. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The most needed and basic supply for survival is water. You need to drink water daily to survive. You can survive longer without food than without water. As long as you can keep your body going, you can find the other materials you need in order to survive.

8. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I have to concur with the OP that the most basic survival item is water. People have been known to fast for even 100 days. Without water, it would be a miracle if one lasts a week. The quality of life is measured first of all on the availability of water. I should also add that a packet of glucose would suffice. A person need not cook with it nearby since its ready made and generates instant energy in survival situations. One can then eat anything else which he deems safe to eat as a filler in the stomach.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    You should always have a survival kit that will cater for all your basic needs.

What you'll need: a knife, first aid supplies, food + water, matches and extra clothing. These you could have in a backpack you have with you all the time. You must be expecting the worst all the time after all.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would say, first, a knife +a sharpening stone of some kind, you cant do much without a good knife.
    after that a first aid kit and some form of fire lighting.
    water is a good answer, but your not going to be able to carry all your water with you, you'll need to be able to find a source of water to replenish what you use, then you need to be able to filter and boil it, so you need either a commercial water filter or the knowledge how to make one from natural materials, or both.