Most Essential? Knowledge!

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by jeager, May 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    You can't do what you don't know.
    You can't do what you know if you don't know how.
    (you can quote me on that):D

BOOKS. No one can remember everything.
    Not even a bright guy like me.:confused:
    http://www.survivalbooksonline.com/

Just a suggestion.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    jeager likes this.
  3. camshaq23

camshaq23 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Well a few essential items I know you must have are food and water, a compass, a lighter, a knife either for stabbing or cutting up food, maybe a flashlight, medical supplies, and a tent for shelter. I consider those as the basic stuff needed for surviving.

4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Food & water yes. I carry a compass because it makes travel easier, but it is not essential unless you are working off a map. A lighter will run out sooner or later, get yourself a REAL flint,steel & tinderbox & learn how to use it. A good knife is worthwhile having, so is a tomahawk. I don't like tents. You can't safely make fire inside for warmth, or light a fire too close. You can't see what is outside, & tent is not as versatile as an oilcloth shelter. Flashlight needs batteries to keep it functioning, & you really don't need one. Flashing a beam around at night will only attract unwanted attention. A good modern medical kit is a very good idea & I would say an essential item. I would also suggest carrying a traditional bow or muzzle-loading gun.
    Most of the equipment we carry is for comfort, & comfort is important. We can make tools, weapons, traps & make fire without carrying anything with us, but this would be a stone age lifestyle.
    Keith.

camshaq23 likes this.
  5. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do carry sutures in my medical kit, but in the past I have not bothered with stitching wounds. I found that if I close the wound when bandaging, the wound heals closed without stitching.
    Keith.

7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Good idea Keith. Pro'ly do more damage trying to stitch a wound.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. camshaq23

camshaq23 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Your right tents has its disadvantages I never really considered it though. Thanks for pointing that out. So it's better to look a good enough camp site where is would be safe and could make a fire to keep warm.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes it is not safe to make fire. In summer for instance it could be a fire hazard. If there are any unwanted people around a fire will show them where you are.
    I dress in layers, so I can take items of clothing off if I am too warm. I carry a spare wool shirt, a spare waistcoat & a wool Monmouth cap rolled up in my pure wool blanket. I put this spare clothing on over the top of my normal clothing on cold nights. This spare clothing weighs less than an extra blanket. In winter I also wear a half-blanket. This I can take off on the trail if I am too warm, & again I can put it back on if the night is cold. The half-blanket weighs less than a full blanket or a coat.
    More information here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=half+blanket
    Keith.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    fire lighting without a doubt, without it you cant keep warm, boil water or cook your food.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I have known people that could not make fire with a lighter or matches no matter what they did. My wife layed & lit the large open fire up at the cottage for our Daughter-in-law the other day. When she went back later on, our Daughter-in-law had dismantled the fire & removed the back log. When asked why, she said that you need to get the fire going & then stick the back log on top!!! There are some people that will never get it & you just can't help them!
    Keith.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are many people in this country who have never seen an open fire much less lit one, all new houses come with all electric and no chimney or fireplace.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    skills and knowledge will help us all survive long after all our stores and stockpiles have been used up and are no more.
    skills and knowledge will last a lifetime, stockpiles will not.

Keith H. likes this.
  14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The mind boggles. Much like the new office blocks with windows which don't open & rely on air conditioning!
    Keith.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes fine until the power goes off then you suffocate.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Well knowledge is a must have skill not just for survival, but for absolutely everything in life! Never go unprepared: if you don't know something, do your researches! Aside from other stuff, this is essential in the case of survival. If you don't know something, you put yourself (and maybe others) at serious risks. Many people starts their adventures without any preparation, without any knowledge, and they can end pretty badly... Knowledge can save your life, everytime. Read a book first, and if you think you are ready, read another one.

17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Knowledge! Why at the age of 48 I started college and graduated at 53 with 2 degrees.

Still knowledge if not exactly the survival kind. Or is it?

Over two decades in police work I know a bit about structure in society.
    Even a very small society.