Most Important Thing In Our First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by kgord, Jul 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    What do you think should be the most important thing to put in your first aid kit? I think an antibiotic of some sort should be most important. You could always fashion bandages out of clothing but an antibiotic could stop infection hopefully.

2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I think that everything in the first aid kit is important. It truly depends on the situation that is presented to us as to which is the handiest to have at that particular time - it is hard to generalize it.

There are just so many things that can happen to you and that is why it's important to have SEVERAL things in your first aid kid. However, if I was forced to pick just one I guess I would go for something like Aspirin or Ibuprofen because it can be used in many different situations. Ater that, perhaps a disinfectant.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, aspirin would be a great choice. I didn't even think of that. I think I will ammend my disinfectant to aspirin. Both of them would be great to have though. Aspirin is an anti inflamatory so it would likely do almost the same thing as an antibiotic.

4. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well, first aid is hardly my specialty but if I had to pick one or two it would be a disinfectant and a suture kit. Like stated above a bandage can be made out of clothing. Other items can be improvised as well. But if you can stop a bleeding and suture a wound to prevent infection I think you're that much closer to surviving.

5. StolenKid

StolenKid New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I think everything is important, alcohol and bandages, also painkillers and antibiotics play a big part in an emergency, I think that for situations where you need a first aid kit, you should be always prepared and got everything settled and organized so you can proceed more relaxed and avoid the panick.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Nowadways in hospital emergency treatment, I have heard they are using like a human grade super glue instead of stitches. They don't have to be removed, plus they are easier and faster to administer, but I am sure it depends on the depth and breadth of the cut or injury. I am sure large injuries involve needing to be stittched up. This is very important.

7. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    band-aids.antibiotics.anti itch cream.some thing for poison ivy/oak..blood clot. ace bandages.arm slings.arm,ankle,finger,and neck splints/braces..surgical instruments kit for minor surgery's,i got one from academy sport..latex/surgical gloves..wound wash of some kind.

8. John Brillantes

John Brillantes New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Disinfectant to avoid further bacterial infection , like alcohol or iodine like betadine. Antibiotics, pain killers, loperamide for stomach problems, anti dehydration such as rehydration tablets, spirit of Ammonia for fainting, bandages, anti allergic tablets. Creams for burn, itch, insect bites.

9. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the injuries surfered, i will say everything in the first aid is just as important as the next item, so alway make sure your first aid material are complete and is kept in an easily accessible place so as to be able to reach it incase of emergencies.

10. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    My first aid kit has two parts. I have a trauma kit and a boo-boo kit. Currently fixing scraps, cuts, road rash, etc isn't that big of a deal. If it gets infected, I just go to the doctor. In a SHTF situation, an infection in that cut on your hand can kill you, so the boo-boo kit becomes very important.

You can bleed to death frighteningly fast, so having QuikClot and a tourniquet are very important. I have a couple of Israeli bandages, a needle compression kit and an occlusive bandage. I also have some extra ace bandages in there.

I don't think I could pick one item. If I had to only pick one, it would be the pressure bandage with the clotting agent. I keep the kit small enough I can take it with me and have it reasonably close. I have one in my work car, one in my car and one in a bag I carry with me.

11. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is most important since it can at least provide a sterile state when you want to clean your wound, or you're preparing an area for an impromptu surgery or medical procedure. It may not seem 100% lethal to bacteria, but it at least gives you a sort of clean space to treat wounds, as well as prevent further infections to wounds you may have had. I think any kit should have at least two bottles of them, since they can easily run out and you can always use them as a substitute for washing hands if there's a lack of water or soap.

12. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Picking one item in a typical first aid kit I'd have to go with wound wash.

13. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I might have saw this from somewhere else but yeah. They have this semi transparent super glue strips that is already crossed on both sides and you'll just put the other side on the cut skin surface and pull the other one and when the would is closed, just press the other side to the skin. Something like that. It holds like a super glue!

14. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I think it would be much better. I have had sutures a few times in my life, and putting them in is quite painful, and getting them taken out is not a lot of fun either. I think the super glue strips would make it simpler for all concerned, and less painful for the patient.