Motorola Talkabout T480 2 Way Radio

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Pragmatist, Dec 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wrbl.com/weather-radio-...0-off-discount-through-the-month-of-december/

Good morning all,

Above tells of a multi-functional radio to add to an emergency prep kit.

Don't know about the product but do like multi-functional gadgets.

I have some multi-functional gadgets that are plug-in and always (in theory, at least) ready for independent battery power when thrown in evac bag. I recommend below the plug in stand, you place an unfolded bag of eg nylon material, a pillow case, anything similar. If vacating real fast, just scoop the gadget with accessories into bag, fly over to wheeled duffel, throw in, vacate dwelling to GOOD.

Foot Note: 10 sandbags stuffed into a sand bag can serve as a pillow.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    MURS or GMRS radio is far better option and more versatile even for doing field work that doesn't need encrypted communication.
    If you need multi-function gadget than your your smartphone is one of the most versatile tool (I actually wrote how to use them in other forum)

What wrong with any suitable size rock?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    The T480 would not be my choice for SHTF/GOOD use, think I mentioned this before but this radio only does a couple things and neither of them very well. After considering it over a cup of coffee, I can't think of any situation or scenario where this radio would be a "very good choice" considering the other options that are available for nearly the same cost. Maybe for kids use, it's weather resistant and Motorola is name brand and will stand behind the warranty, but that'd be about it.

One nice thing since the Chinese entered the radio market is an abundance of feature rich, frequency agile, and inexpensive radios to choose from. I don't mean just the Baofengs either. My suggestion would be to look for a dual band (VHF/UHF) commercial/business/Part 90 radio, there's a learning curve but they have features even amateur ham radios often don't, but are still usable on GMRS/MURS/amateur/marine as well as public safety/business bands if or when needed.

Mentioned in another thread too that every time I read a news story of a lost hiker or someone stuck off-road in the middle of nowhere, I check the area they were lost in and in every case so far (in the lower 49 states anyway), there's always multiple repeaters they might have used to draw attention to their situation. While a somewhat odd place to find it, the CDC even recommends it for adventurist travelers:

Where cell phone service is not available, travelers may consider an unlocked (no frequency restrictions) VHF/UHF radio or a satellite phone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    It's a nice radio, but like mentioned you're better off with MURS or applying for a GMRS license. There are many GMRS repeaters out there and with a 4 watt handheld like a Kenwood you could get out at least 30 miles just with the repeater on GMRS.

MURS is a license free band in VHF which uses 5 channels. If you go the eBay route you want a radio that is part 95a certified. I have 4 MURS radios and a Baofeng UV-82 just for SHTF. That radio is more of a ham radio and you can't use it in the GMRS band as it's not part 95a certified.

For MURS check out the Btech radios.

For really secure communications, check out the Nextel i355 old cell phone. They have a Direct Talk feature that doesn't use cell towers at all. It's a built-in two way radio feature and you'll get about a mile with them. They use FHSS and a VSLEP vocoder so it's hard to decode someone's transmission. Plus, not everyone uses a cellphone like this. They are like those Motorola DTR's but waaay cheaper. I have 4 of these as well.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    On the subject of Sat phones. You might be better off with inReach. https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O

With a Sat phone it can be hit and miss with a phone call. Where's with inReach it will send a constant SOS to a 24/7 monitoring center with your GPS coordinates. And you can send text messages. They can be had on eBay.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't get hung up on FCC certification, 95a/95j, etc, more important is knowing the frequency, the bandwidth, the mode, and nearby (in terms of both physical location and adjacent frequency) users. No one to my knowledge has ever got a FCC fine for using 5 watts on MURS, or using a non-part 95 certificated radio on GMRS/FRS - it's usually repeated interference to licensed users that draws attention and will eventually earn a forfeiture.

The suggestions on encryption/secure comms brings up another point that needs clarification whenever the question on what is a "good radio" comes up, what's the intended purpose(s) for it? Secure inter-tribe use in a small area, SOS or station in distress calling, search and rescue, MARS/CAP, CERT, SKYWARN, amateur/GMRS/CB hobby use, or other? Each would have different requirements.

Curious Pragmatist, what is your intended use / purpose for having a radio in your prep kit? Might be an interesting discussion to find the 'best' radio for your semi-unique usage model.

varuna and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Any specific recommendation for those Chinese brands other than Baofeng? :confused: I'm currently in the market for a single solution for MURS, GMRS, marine, air band radio.
    My group have a radio guy, unfortunately although he is technically competent enough he is not very knowledgeable regarding the latest available in the market, furthermore I'm the one who need to manage all the logistic and I always strife for commonality & interoperability.

Thanks beforehand :)

TMT Tactical likes this.