Mre Article For Preppers

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by Pragmatist, Mar 11, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.themanual.com/outdoors/best-mres/

Good morning all,

This article can also be cross-referenced to cooking.

Preface: The word "best" is wrongfully used as it is in many other places also. The is no "best" knife, no "best" compass", no best "life vest". The better word, IMO, is "ideal".

Article redefines the word "excellent".

The DOD seal of approval is for rent.

Top notch cruisine and reviews are obviously oxymoronic.

I read this article I'm posting here. For planning, as if my life depended on it, these MRE-packed foods wouldn't make last ditch use.

Consider appropriately sized, portioned and packed:

Pizza, some Air France first class meals in the economy class tray, miniatures from Japan Airlines, old Aeroflot, chocolate from Cadbury-combination of premier quality with ideal packaging, mini egg rolls, hash browns. If not familiar what's needed to cook this stuff, there are courses. Don't forget to ask about prep of espresso. "A beverage" as mentioned in article doesn't count.

The US military is not the lead on armies and marching on stomach.

Well, what's a Paleo diet ?
    Are the article's MREs Sharia-compliant ? (Red pouch)

It's 03:30 AM local and am now in the mood for Waffle House.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've had a few MRE's and am not a fan of them, I have some camping type meal pouches in my stores for emergency use, have used these on back packing trips and they are much better than any military MRE.
    the "Wayfarer" brand in the UK would be my first choice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I know they have a place, and I do have some. Maybe it has been a while since I bought them, but I don't remember them being anywhere near that expensive. I think I can do better on my own.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I liked the old C and K rations a lot better than the MREs. They weighed more but were real food. LOL, back in the day they came with little 4 cigarette packages of smokes in the accessory pack. I used to regularly buy a case of them from GI surplus and keep in my camper.

PS: I still carry a P-38 on my key ring. I actually prefer my home made MREs that I make with a seal a meal vacuum sealer.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

Those C-Rat 4 pack cigarettes were modern, state-of-the-art. The 4 pack contained Surgeon General Terry's health warning about smoking cigarettes.

How appropriate and so very nice of a reminder about health concerns.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Had the old C-rats, LRRP rats and MRE's when they were new. I was not a fan of the MRE's. Nothing that you eat should make you bleed when your getting rid of them. The old LRRP Rats weren't bad and I like some of the new freeze dried commercial meal (use them while hunting back country). I do think the price is high for what you get. I figure for hunting it's worth the trade off for less weight.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    After 22 years of military service, I can state that MREs would never be a part of my preps. Even if somehow a full crate of MREs would somehow land on my property, I would rather pay someone to remove it from my property verses wasting my time trying to figure out what else to do with the crap.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    hey now...i like some MRE's!!!!! :)

chili mac is the best...

i've never had bleeding though but have had some constipation with some...

they can be expensive though like $7-$9 per meal in some cases more than that is outrageous..

bridgeford sandwiches are an acquried taste and are pretty small...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You must have never ate the early model MRE's. If you ate them for more than 5 days straight you started leaving enough blood that you asked Doc if something was wrong. There was a reason we ate so much rice and ramen. I've ate out of a ruck sack for 6 weeks before. I wouldn't recommend it, especially with MRE's. The old cure for constipation was the grape jelly (1 pack only) it kept working until you ate either the peanut butter or one of the freeze dried meat patties. Then you were constipated again. Time for more grape jelly. LOL! Chew and swallow 3 to 6 of the match heads and it kept most of the mosquitos off of you. Everyone learned to carry along hot sauce. The best meals I can remember in the MRE's was the meatballs in BBQ sauce. Added some cooked rice and it wasn't bad. Better still was the chili con carne in the LRRP rats.

The Army guaranteed us 3 meals a day, but many times we wouldn't get them for days or even weeks at a time. Then they would give you all of the meals as MRE's. Some times we had cases of the stupid things, so we took them to the local army surplus store and sold them. I think I sold them for like $4 a MRE. Back then, that was a lot of alcoholic beverages that weekend. LOL!

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fiber that doesn't fill you with flatulence = calcium polycarbophyl

Psyllium gives many users "Help me baby Jesus!" flatulence. Not all fiber supplements are the same. Keep your guts happy and you will be happy.

upload_2021-3-13_0-6-54.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An "MRE" for me:

upload_2021-3-13_0-10-14.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I must have ten sandwich-sized bags of dried Thai peppers left over from last year. Been giving them away. We grind some and put the powder in cute little jars -- you can toss in O2 absorbers, but I don't. We have a 4-tray food drier. Get these peppers crispy and they last on and on. My paternal grandmother would sew strands of peppers together and let them dry on her screened-in back porch. Her brother was some sort of pepper guru. He had peppers in his garden, sure; but he also had huge pots on the front porch step concrete banisters. The man had a bunch of health conditions and was obese -- still, he lived to be over 85. That grandmother lived to just shy of 95. My other grandmother made it to the big 1-0-0, but she was so crippled (never senile) I don't think it was worth it. Most of my great aunts and uncles who survived childhood and were not killed on the job (the mines, foundries, and railroads) lived to be in their mid-80s. All died obese -- they liked to eat. They grew what they liked best. Corn to fatten, or at least so your ribs didn't ever poke out. Greens mostly grown, but we also foraged greens.

Just one of these peppers will make me sweat. They clear up sinuses as if you had sprayed some decongestant up your nasal nares. Nary a problem.

Always store flavorings for the food you've stored -- especially rice.

upload_2021-3-13_0-38-58.png

The following peppers look HUGE. I never saw any of these as a boy. My family preferred the smaller ones. I don't know what they are called but some peppers are as tiny as the tips of your fingers -- my great uncle always had a few of these growing; they're the ones he grew on his front porch banisters. The tiny red peppers are adorable; can look like a Christmas tree. The ones he grew were hot. Grandma would put them in vinegar; had a little crystal decanter she'd set on the supper table.

upload_2021-3-13_0-40-51.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    These little cans of seafood, they look like MREs & serve as MREs. They'll not kill your guts ... nor your soul. If you are a Gaia-worshipper, the Atlantic has not been fished out of herring.

upload_2021-3-13_0-53-15.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mustard stored in glass jars will last for years. Meal = tin of kippered herring + mustard + some starchy bulk for calories + jarred fruit that you favor. Oh, peppers have lots of vit. A and C, so they are not just to flavor the foods you've put back, they too provide nutrution.

upload_2021-3-13_1-2-43.png Mustard sealed well will last past its expiration date by 2 or 3 years. It's main ingredient is vinegar, so go figure.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Memories activated when seeing picture of kippered herring in can with "key" before use of the pop-top type.

I've got a similiar type of inventory here. Also big on honey, coffee and baker's chocolate.

In theory, can make horse raddish.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      When some strange breed of demon casts its dark shadow across my life's path, I have been known to use "spicy" mustard, which is to say horseradish has played its part in the mustard's concoction. Generally however, plain old grocery store mustard suffices. I'll buy German mustard actually from Germany bottled in ceramic or glass jars. "Spicy" mustard in plastic bottles is a latter day abomination. When used, such use of false mustard causes our beloved departed ancestors to turn their faces in shame of us. I am now contemplating the purchase of some real mustard hergestellt in Deutschland.

Old Geezer, Mar 13, 2021