MRE suggestions?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Lisa Davis, May 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) are often used by the military to feed troops in situations of battle or where normal cooking is not viable. However, MRE's are now often purchased by survivalists (and even some general campers) because they can be stored for a really long period of time and are generally very portable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which MRE's I should order? I am planning on purchasing some to keep on hand in case of emergencies. I have tried some. A few were OK, but some were just awful. Does anyone have any suggestions for which ones to try? Either brand or flavors?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recommend Lisa that you make your own. If they are inexpensive & weigh little, fine, but personally I would sooner spend my money on making up my own trail foods.
    Here is a link on one of my blogs for "Pocket Soups" if you are interested: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/pocket-soup.html
    Keith.

3. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I am a huge fan of soup in general. Unfortunately, when I clicked the link, it said it had been removed. Perhaps this was temporary? The only thing is that these "pocket soups" last for a few month and MRE's last years. However, I'm still very interested in learning how to make similar things like this on my own. By the way, I really like the blog. Very interesting material!

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The link is still good Lisa & the post is still there. But here is another update for you if you are still interested: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/period-quote-on-trail-foods.html
    Keith.