Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by poltiregist, Nov 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been doing some research into growing mushrooms and admittedly know little about growing them . From a prepper's point of view this seems to be a potential food source for when S.H.T.F. . Even under a dust cloud from volcanic activity , nuclear blast dust , asteroid impact or any other imaginable sky darkening event , mushrooms would potentially grow . For someone living in an urban area they may be able to grow mushrooms indoors where they could be protected from starving neighbors . If anyone has any experience in this area or even if they don't and would like to share their thoughts on this it would be appreciated .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have read where some claim certain types of mushrooms help fight colon cancer and breast cancer .

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Growing mushrooms as a part of a survival garden effort is a lot like growing lettuce. It may be a very tasty and healthy thing to eat but it doesn't offer you many calories or needed vitamins or minerals. I think it is considered healthy because it is not at all fattening and is great for losing weight and weight control. They would be nice to have. I personally love them but they will be way down on my list of things to grow if I am trying to survive on just what I can catch and grow.
    f22e3d0dc32748323ed3dfddf7d9ac05.jpeg

Caribou, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My information may be grossly exaggerated but they are touting growing in a 100 sq . ft . area " suppose that means ten foot length on all four sides of a square container " can produce 2,500 lb of oyster mushrooms per year . With the right growing technique it can be made to regenerate itself . When S.H.T.F. With the spores already available for a rural dweller that means he or she could multiply their existing mushroom bed many times larger in one day , and be harvesting mushrooms from their enlarged bed in four weeks . So it has the potential to not only produce food for years but indefinitely . I can believe it doesn't have a high vitamin content but could potentially be one of a multi -prong food resource to stop the hunger . Eating mushrooms as the only food source would definitely not be ideal .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Radar, Caribou, Rebecca and 1 other person like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Based on the criteria of limited sunlight, what other food could be grown, besides mushrooms? Inquiring minds want to know.

poltiregist likes this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    First you need to find the right media to grow the species of mushroom that you want. Next, you need to sterilise the media and add your spores. A cave or crawlspace might be a good location.

I love mushrooms but they wouldn't work as a mainstay. They would be a great bonus food and could be a great barter item. At one time you could buy peat pillars with a mushroom start so as to grow your own. It might also be a viable home business if you had the space.

7. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    There are a few mushroom companies to buy from in the U.S., they offer mushroom kits, logs, all kinds of stuff. I forget the various other names of equipment and stuff needed. There are mushrooms that help everything from brain function, energy, various cancers, weight loss, depression, anxiety, focus, inflammation, cholesterol-lowering, heart help, blood flow and boosting the immune system.
    Paul Stamets is one of the better known mushroom doctors. He offers classes all about mushrooms...harvesting, growing, health benefits, preparation of the mushrooms.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.