Must Have Tools For A Survivalist On The Move

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by TexDanm, Nov 1, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    If you are bugging IN you can have a virtually unlimited tool set but if you are bugging out, especially on foot, you are going to be extremely limited by how much you can carry. If possible you will want every tool to cover as much as possible for its weight. What sorts of things do you consider must haves?

My list goes like this...

I like the Leatherman Wave or the Leatherman Wingman multitools
    A swiss Army knife with a blade, saw, can opener etc.
    A small draw knife
    A crook knife
    A hawk or hatchet with a hammer on it
    A wire saw and assorted saw BLADES
    Vice grips
    Auger bits
    A pry or crow bar
    A Wood chisel or gouge

What am I forgetting and what don't I need?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Well normally mate I agree with you on most things 100%, but I personally would not bother carrying any of these items. The tomahawk if we are talking about the ones with a round or oval eye that the helve drops into & needs no wedge I think is a good idea, but the hammer polls are only any good for tapping in pegs or nails, this type will split stakes. I find a square poll tomahawk best, or a round poll.

Must haves? 1) Tomahawk 2) a good hunting knife. I prefer a butcher knife. 3) a good clasp knife (I also carry a legging knife) 4) a gun or traditional bow (not a compound bow) 5) a sustainable fire lighting tool, I carry flint, steel & tinderbox 6) a cooking kettle 7) a whet stone 8) a small metal file.
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    My hawk started off life like this but then I stripped and then grayed the head (boiled it in white vinegar and oiled) stained and wrapped the haft and made a leather sheath and belt loop for it.
    cf315915efea67b3a0d0af3e50d58ebc.jpeg

These are pretty handy too. It is made from 1095 carbon steel and chops, slices or batons great. The saw is not worth much to me. The deferential grind makes it good for different uses like a kukri but is a lot smaller and easier to carry. I replaced the little steel with a 1/4" x 5" ferosteel rod

These are called gimlets and are handy for making small holes in wood. I use them with whittled pegs to hold small things together. I have them up to about 7mm/3/8" but mostly use the 1/4"/3mm

I missed the metal file even though I do have one in my kit and there is one in the Leatherman Wave. Another thing that I forgot is my round ax and knife sharpening stone. For the wood chisel and touch up steel hone I carry an old Schrade honing steel.
    L-zjlqF_SpMT43IJhigeeE-k_YcMx-O8.jpeg ERi7QiqcCddHrXEO4x_N5wloNtJ3VPjz.jpeg

I also like a plain old butcher knife as a survival knife. A big butcher knife can make a pretty good draw knife. I blued mine and added some slight finger grooves for improved grip and thinking about adding a brass guard to it.
    gy0W_sUI1iZqWd4N_pxhok2grn3ElB_0.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    I too have some gimlets, & augers, & these would be handy in certain circumstances, but I am continually reevaluating my gear, & decided to leave these items out.
    Keith.
    2a11a14263d6c3a2eeffee882d7d2d62.jpeg
    For larger structural work.
    A small auger & gimlet I made from two brace bits.
    Two original gimlets.
    Keith.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith, those tools are EXACTLY the same as those my dentist uses. I don't like going to his office.

His are not in as good of shape, by the way.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Mate, find another dentist!!!
    Keith.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I love the small 1/4" gimlets. I can use it to lace wood together with para-cord that makes a light shelter hold together like it is one peace. You can do the same with zip ties but the gimlet and cord can be used over and over. my 1/4 inch is made much like your auger in the second picture. I made it with a regular auger bit that I put a 1/4" square on the end of. My handle is wood with a small 1/4" socket installed in it. The other side is a 1/4" hex that will accept bits with that sort of base.

I'm always buying and trying out different tools and such to see if they are worth including in my various tool kits. I am going to miss being able to do that like I have for years. Basically all tools were paid for by my company and as such were tax deductions and that made them cost me about half price out of pocket. At one point I actually would fix repair of build anything and did electrical, plumbing, carpentry, AC/heating and appliance repair. I had three tool boxes across that bed of my pickup truck and my parts in the back seat. Any time I could find a tool that would do more than one task it was a win. They make an adjustable wrench that works on nuts and bolt but if you turn the movable jaw around it became a pipe wrench.

Keith H. likes this.