Must Have Tools For A Survivalist On The Move

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by TexDanm, Nov 1, 2018.

Must Have Tools For A Survivalist On The Move 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are bugging IN you can have a virtually unlimited tool set but if you are bugging out, especially on foot, you are going to be extremely limited by how much you can carry. If possible you will want every tool to cover as much as possible for its weight. What sorts of things do you consider must haves?

My list goes like this...

I like the Leatherman Wave or the Leatherman Wingman multitools
    A swiss Army knife with a blade, saw, can opener etc.
    A small draw knife
    A crook knife
    A hawk or hatchet with a hammer on it
    A wire saw and assorted saw BLADES
    Vice grips
    Auger bits
    A pry or crow bar
    A Wood chisel or gouge

What am I forgetting and what don't I need?

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    Well normally mate I agree with you on most things 100%, but I personally would not bother carrying any of these items. The tomahawk if we are talking about the ones with a round or oval eye that the helve drops into & needs no wedge I think is a good idea, but the hammer polls are only any good for tapping in pegs or nails, this type will split stakes. I find a square poll tomahawk best, or a round poll.

Must haves? 1) Tomahawk 2) a good hunting knife. I prefer a butcher knife. 3) a good clasp knife (I also carry a legging knife) 4) a gun or traditional bow (not a compound bow) 5) a sustainable fire lighting tool, I carry flint, steel & tinderbox 6) a cooking kettle 7) a whet stone 8) a small metal file.
    Keith.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My hawk started off life like this but then I stripped and then grayed the head (boiled it in white vinegar and oiled) stained and wrapped the haft and made a leather sheath and belt loop for it.
    cf315915efea67b3a0d0af3e50d58ebc.jpeg

These are pretty handy too. It is made from 1095 carbon steel and chops, slices or batons great. The saw is not worth much to me. The deferential grind makes it good for different uses like a kukri but is a lot smaller and easier to carry. I replaced the little steel with a 1/4" x 5" ferosteel rod

These are called gimlets and are handy for making small holes in wood. I use them with whittled pegs to hold small things together. I have them up to about 7mm/3/8" but mostly use the 1/4"/3mm

I missed the metal file even though I do have one in my kit and there is one in the Leatherman Wave. Another thing that I forgot is my round ax and knife sharpening stone. For the wood chisel and touch up steel hone I carry an old Schrade honing steel.
    L-zjlqF_SpMT43IJhigeeE-k_YcMx-O8.jpeg ERi7QiqcCddHrXEO4x_N5wloNtJ3VPjz.jpeg

I also like a plain old butcher knife as a survival knife. A big butcher knife can make a pretty good draw knife. I blued mine and added some slight finger grooves for improved grip and thinking about adding a brass guard to it.
    gy0W_sUI1iZqWd4N_pxhok2grn3ElB_0.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    sekelbos, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

425/460

Blog Posts:
    I too have some gimlets, & augers, & these would be handy in certain circumstances, but I am continually reevaluating my gear, & decided to leave these items out.
    Keith.
    2a11a14263d6c3a2eeffee882d7d2d62.jpeg
    For larger structural work.
    A small auger & gimlet I made from two brace bits.
    Two original gimlets.
    Keith.

sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Keith, those tools are EXACTLY the same as those my dentist uses. I don't like going to his office.

His are not in as good of shape, by the way.

6. Keith H.

425/460

Blog Posts:
    Mate, find another dentist!!!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love the small 1/4" gimlets. I can use it to lace wood together with para-cord that makes a light shelter hold together like it is one peace. You can do the same with zip ties but the gimlet and cord can be used over and over. my 1/4 inch is made much like your auger in the second picture. I made it with a regular auger bit that I put a 1/4" square on the end of. My handle is wood with a small 1/4" socket installed in it. The other side is a 1/4" hex that will accept bits with that sort of base.

I'm always buying and trying out different tools and such to see if they are worth including in my various tool kits. I am going to miss being able to do that like I have for years. Basically all tools were paid for by my company and as such were tax deductions and that made them cost me about half price out of pocket. At one point I actually would fix repair of build anything and did electrical, plumbing, carpentry, AC/heating and appliance repair. I had three tool boxes across that bed of my pickup truck and my parts in the back seat. Any time I could find a tool that would do more than one task it was a win. They make an adjustable wrench that works on nuts and bolt but if you turn the movable jaw around it became a pipe wrench.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  8. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I carry tools like you guys mention in my INCH gear. My "survival" kit is much more sparse. One thing I will be adding soon is a socket adapter for my bit and brace drill.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    AND now the tools for an Urban Prepper:

Lock Picking set.
    Small Bolt cutter.
    Cable Cutters (very different from bolt cutters)
    Assorted Multi-tool bit /driver
    Glass Cutter
    Adjustable wrench
    Medium framing hammer
    Slim Jim
    Sheet metal shim set.

These tools would be useless in the the wilderness but are absolutely needed in my urban environment.

Morgan101, coffee and Sonofliberty like this.
  10. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    A decent knife (Kephart style/Nessmuk). Firesteel and flint. Maybe a take-down tomahawk of light axe. I also fancy a folding saw as a quiet alternative to an axe. Multitool of you're fussy (probably an LM Wave) and a Mercator of Douk Douk flat folding boot knife for "if it comes to that life endangering fight situation". A simple bowl for food and water. But that's it for carried kit, anything else can be made. improvised or managed without.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the main problem for someone on the move is WEIGHT, there is a limit to how much anyone can carry, and to overburden oneself would lead to other problems.
    therefore the emphasis needs to be on skills and knowledge more than physical gear.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Some years back I did a deep assessment of my situation, and made drastic changes. I now can leave the base/cabin with nothing and in fact even naked and have everything I could ever need for three years. The structural theory for this was/is the theory used for the first three attempts to ascend to the top of the highest mountain in North America.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    I had the exact same thought. Anyone remember the marathon man? “Is it safe?”

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Alaskajohn

97/115

Blog Posts:
    Great discussion topic, and as always, interesting perspectives.

While my strategy is evolving towards what IBME has achieved, my useful strategic cache aren’t as fully developed yet. If I’m bugging out on foot from my already isolated location, I can be in a world of hurt quickly.

The “tools” included are items to start a fire, a folding buck knife in a belt sheath, cordage, and a Swiss Army knife. During the months when darkness rules, I put in a headlamp light. Having light without having to hold it has proven invaluable based on personal experience. Also a pair of reading glasses, which I consider my most necessary tool at times!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    TMT Tactical and IBME like this.
  15. Sonofliberty

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever tried to start a fire with your reading glasses? I have done it with my glasses. Dual purpose ftw.

Keith H., TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  16. Old Geezer

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Don't take a nap in the sun. More specifically, don't take a nap in the sun and rest your reading glasses between your legs.

Today's "Words for the Wise".

Next week's Words for the Wise includes the topics of where not to go poop and where pit vipers like to take their naps.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Alaskajohn

97/115

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely! As a kid I used to use magnifying glasses all the time to start fires. With the long hours of darkness, I still need another option!

18. Old Geezer

410/460

Blog Posts:
    If reading glasses are going to be put to the purpose of fire-starting, lenses giving best performance would have to have some high diopter value. And rounderer is betterer.

As a lad, I went with the largest diameter round glass magnifying glass I could put my little hands on for the purpose of enlisting it as my cone-of-light cannon. Plastic lenses seemed insufficient to the task. If the lens of the beast could focus the light down to a pinpoint, it was purposed to hellish divine justice for the ticks we picked off our dogs. And oooooooh those ticks fat with canine blood, they'd pop with a gusto -- a divine thunder clap to the ears of grinning boys. That these became exploding volcanoes of blood brought rare delight in our evil little hearts. Not only did the girls seem uninterested, we were sure to lose their company in our little church of death. God's Work is God's Work.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    That is a preparation issue - everything is harder after dark, so a camp fire should be lit well before sundown and essentially before the ambient temperature starts to fall.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not just a camp fire, a CAMP should be set out long before it gets dark, in the wintertime that will be quite early, it gets dark here in the winter about 4pm so you should really start looking for a camp site about an hour before if not more.

21. Alaskajohn

97/115

Blog Posts:
    For me, sundown is in late November with sunrise in late January. I need to be able to light fire in the dark. Thus the fire start kit and the headlamp light.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      150/173

Blog Posts:
    Great information by all. Thanks. Not really a tool, but I would include nails, screws, assorted sizes (multitool will have a screwdriver included). Also, (not at all a tool...assorted sizes zip ties).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The weight of your cargo is also core-critical. Metals are heavy.

Rolls of plastic are readily available at home supply / hardware stores. Purchase as thick of gauge plastic as you can afford. The plastic rolls out, cut required length, then you fold out this separated section. Buy as high of grade of duct tape as you can afford. Do not buy too much plastic, else you will be adding serious weight to your survival supplies. For home/farm use, have some serious sized rolls.

I'm not even going to try to list all of the make-do uses for sheets of plastic and duct tape. First thing on my mind is the creation of a shelter or the repair of the roof of a shelter or tent. Throw in a few hundred feet of paracord, plus some thicker rope and you are ready to start your own space program.

In the state of Tennessee, duct tape is regarded as possessing religious significance.

Construct your own tarpaulin or purchase ready-made tarps.
    https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/install-a-tarp-grommet/view-all/

Ways of attaching rope to a tarp:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=attaching...&atb=v140-1__&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=attaching+a+rope+to+a+tarpaulin&t=hk&atb=v140-1__&iax=videos&ia=videos

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    But you could have 30 tons of materials in caches, and depart with no cargo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  25. Old Geezer

410/460

Blog Posts:
    You know, I've thought about that for years / decades.

There is a very real possibility that we will bug out to go back to home state and be around a son and grandson. I do not wish to be an imposition.

There is also the matter of taking goods to friends and family who have insufficient supplies themselves. Hey, a lot of folk are struggling financially.

I myself am not super keen on going on living. Were it just me, I might just want to go out in a blaze of glory. "Git'er done!"

I only go on so as to take care of others. Me, I'm now only an observer of life. I have nothing to look forward to and I'm not looking for anything to care about. Were I to be killed killing the enemies of God, well there's something positive. "Killing two birds with one stone," as it were; maybe more than two birds.

Anything I wish for is post-death. I'm ready to go be with my family and friends who are on the other side.

As for other folk, I'd bet there are many who are going to bug-out with the purpose of helping the people living at their destination point. My wife has some friends I would like to help. The only family members I have left are those I've fathered and my wife; we lost an adult child; all of my family are dead, none are alive.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. TMT Tactical

297/345

Blog Posts:
    @Old Geezer, I don't think you have nothing to live for. You have knowledge and wisdom. Find those in need of it and help them learn. Just as you have shared info with us, there are millions more that need the information you have acquired.

coffee likes this.
  27. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    You could, but would it be wise to set off without any kit at all and no guarantee of reaching a cache?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the trouble with caches is that unless you can control the place where they are located you could possibly lose the lot at a time when you might be in critical need.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  29. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Have it set-up so the first caches is just a few hundred yards. Then a 1/2 mile to the first survival location, and very small cabin. Then two miles to the next survival site, a premade camp with everything all ready there,

Then five miles to the next survival camp, with two cords of split firewood, and two 55 gallon drums fill of food and stoves and large propane tanks, and clothes and ammo, and everything you need for three months maybe four months, then the next camp is five miles deeper into the wilderness. And the next, and the next.

This is how the first attempts were made to the top of the highest mountain in North America. And they had to haul firewood and stage it, and food and stage it, and wall tents, etc.. They used dog teams to haul supplies as high as they could, It would take the better part of a year to stage supplies. Then it was the following year they made the attempt, but the camps were ready.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  30. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    If you already live deep inside a seven million acre wilderness National Forest, your weeks ahead of everyone.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah I wish!! I live deep in the English countryside but all land here is owned by someone, the trouble is it isn't me!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Here is a brief description of the way my caching program "WAS". Now very different.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    "About a dozen 55 Gallon steel drums with removable lids & lock rings cached. And an unknown number of 120 MM ammo cans cached.

With the semi-remote cabin as the “HUB” of the wheel I started building fall’back positions upto 35 miles in every direction (12 directions, one for each hour on the clock). And so I set’about finding caves, and/or digging caves, building remote shelters, each fully stocked including propane, stoves, split wood, food, saws, nails, everything. Scattered along the spokes of the wheel are 120 MM ammo cans each with 30 days food, fuel, candles, etc.

Even numbers on the clock (2, 4, 8,10 & 12’o-clock) each have at least three firearms and ammo. The odd numbers of the clock each have about 50 traps, fleshing boards, & stretchers. There are a total of 41 backpacks, 8 pair of smow-shoes, bunny boots, 18 sleeping bags, 14 chainsaws, and spare chain-loops & files, fuel, bar oil, etc."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that sounds like a heck of a lot of gear.
    my policy is to live as light as possible.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Enough to live for three years, including food, clothing, and shelter, fuel, etc..

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    only 3 years? what happens then?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Then I will be in the same spot as everyone else was three years earlier, only there will be fewer humans to compete against for survival resources. I'll also be nearing 80 y/o.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes I can see your point. I just wondered if there was any other reason, whether you expect things to be better or even back to normal? for the record I don't.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    My list will be much closer to TMT Tactical's. I would include a folding saw, maybe a Silky, and a pry bar or crow bar.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    No........I figure it will be horrific beyond comprehension. Never get back to normal even remotely near current conditions. I do think it will stabilize at some point. Even if it stabilizes something like year 1492 AD. There may well be 400 males still alive for each female still alive. There may be very few white people still alive also.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I am curious , why do you think the mortality rate will be much higher for females ? I am also curious as to why you predict a higher mortality rate for white people . I am not disputing this line of reasoning , I just don,t understand it .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Think about the bad'ist part of any city......maybe Chicago. Do the white boys run things in the south side of Chicago...??? Any hard and rough physical athletic sport is mostly dominated by non-white. I believe there is only one paramount way to survive what is coming. And that is to hide, and stay hidden.

I think most of the people on Prepping and Survival type forums are not serious, and are mostly just mentally jerking themselves off. I have been studying and living this prepping and survival lifestyle for 65'plus years, it is easy to see who is living it and who is collecting info. just "INCASE".

People who have 3 or 6 months of food, and two thousand guns, seventy thousand rounds of ammo, and six large boxes of bad'ass knives are going to be in deep shit if it get rough. And I truly expect it to get very rough.

None of the above should be construed to indicate that I think I will survive.......only that I have been living it day after day for 49 years in remote wilderness Alaska. My old age will likely be my fail point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  42. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    That makes logical sense especially for whites living in a large non white population , even though it is not politicaly correct its easy to see the white population is hated by many. I have made people on here angry before when I question their prepping sincerity . I am not trying to make them mad but am expressing my concern 0ver them surviving a apocalyptic crises .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. TMT Tactical

297/345

Blog Posts:
    okay debate time: I don't agree that the survival rate for whites will be less. I think resources and logistics will be the biggest factor. The majority of non-whites will live too far from the needed resources to survive. The cities will suffer the highest mortality rates and the cities largest city demographics are non-white. So just from a pure logistic stand point, the non-whites are going to suffer greater casualties. After logistics, it falls back to best survival abilities. In normal times, the thug has the advantage in the ghetto. That all starts to slip away, during a sudden SHTF event. The average thug is not going to know the survival skills needed to survive a sudden grid down. If the SHTF event is a slow economical collapse, then they will survive for a time but not in greater numbers than nonwhites. Without government assistance, their numbers will actually drop faster than whites. If UNCLE SAM is not paying the tab, there is no way to continue feeding the high birth rate. Denser bones and heavier muscle mass does not make you a survivor, only a little faster target.

Now as for women. In a true long lasting SHTF, WROL world, women will die off faster. Society honors and protects women, as we should. In an uncivil world, what you bring to the table is what will be paramount. So other than bear children, what can a woman do that a man cannot (yes I am old enough to know about sex)? Once it hits the fan, we will become a labor intensive world and women will have to compete against males for the resources. Farms will want strong field hands, not just pretty field hands. Any rural chore a woman can do, a man can do it too. Many labor intensive work cannot be handled by the average female, or at least not at the same performance level. Not trying to insult the Ladies but is a pure survival situation, they are going to ranked a bit lower in survivability.

poltiregist likes this.
  44. Keith H.

425/460

Blog Posts:
    Information on primitive fire lighting methods all on the FIRE board: https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/reading-glass-fire-lighting.567/
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    TMT: How could we forget the Sillcock key? What were we thinking?

ac33ab045bbd4e872446b660bb3670a1.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Sonofliberty

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Though I have one, I don't include it in my INCH gear because I find it not that useful. In any situation where I might want one, the vice grips I will be carrying will do the job. Honestly though, a silcock key is only useful if you are staying in an urban area. That is the last thing I plan to do.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. Keith H.

425/460

Blog Posts:
    Personally I think that if it has got to the stage in the city where one has to forage, you are lucky to still be alive & you won't be alive for much longer. The city & the suburbs are going to be a very dangerous place to be in, & once you are discovered, it will be too late for you to escape.
    I know there are people with health problems that say they will not be able to leave the city, but in my book when it comes down to life or death, then there is always a way, or at least a way to try. I would sooner die trying to get out than stay where I am to face certain death by one means or another. I can't think of a better place to die than out bush in nature.
    Keith.

48. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    TMT's list was specifically designed for Urban survival. That is why it is important to include one.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  49. Old Geezer

410/460

Blog Posts:
    This hyar izza photo uv th' old lady an' me up at th' Ramp Festival:

upload_2019-3-29_19-34-49.png

A'course, Dentist Bob works out uv our local barber shop, don't'cha'know:
    26cf408eaa60f6fbb1226f04a7b07bab.jpeg

His son Timmy went into the tooth-drillin' business jist like his daddy. Unlike his pappy however, Timmy uses new-fangled dental eeequipment. Jist leave it to these hyar young whipper-snappers -- they is all high-tech.

upload_2019-3-29_19-56-46.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. TMT Tactical

297/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes I do have a couple but they did not get it on my list, My Bad. I do plan to stay in my urban location and I have planned for the bad guys and the bad things that can and will happen in an urban SHTF event. I also plan to be the biggest, baddest person. Some folks are trained to survive in a rural environment. I am trained to survive and prosper in an urban environment.

Sonofliberty likes this.