Must have travel food

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by lexinonomous, Jul 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When traveling and trying your best to survive, there are certain foods that could be essential to survival. Although there are a lot of common foods to carry, there are still some personal favorites that everyone carries. It's interesting to see what people find to be essential to maintaining their hunger control and happiness. Personally, I love to carry dried fruit in my bags. It lasts a long time, adds fiber to my diet, and keeps me plenty full.

What are your must have travel foods?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Mmmm well favorite is not the same as essential. Chocolate and trail mix could be my kind of food but these are not definitely essential. Ideal circumstances is to bring compact food rations with you such as Pemmican that give you all the calories and nourishment you need to keep the body working nice and healthy and also It keeps edible for a lot of time. Dried food is also a good idea, will last enough to store and eat later.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well really the only "must have" thing would be to carry water. But I usually carry a few of those cereal bars on me when I'm out and about for a longer period of time. They are small and light, you can leave them in a warm car, have them in your bag for weeks etc.. and they are still perfectly fine. And it's also easy and fast to consume.

Now this is far from something that I consider essential or "must have" but it's pretty much the only thing I use as travel food on an everyday basis.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Oddly enough, I usually don't travel with food. The only thing I ever bring that I consider a necessity is water, because I don't like being dehydrated. But when it comes to food, if I'm going out for a hike or something like that, I won't bother if I know how long it'll take. If it's an all day event, then I do bring something easily digestible and nutrient dense, like pre-cut veggies and hummus or peanut butter and fruit slices.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    trail mix, flapjack, chocolate bars that sort of thing, if we're going all day we usually take lunch and a flask of coffee. we carry water at all times.

6. QuakeringInTokyo

QuakeringInTokyo New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I do like to carry trail mix travelling around day to day and in nature but I don't carry it when traveling by plane as I'm always afraid I'll induce a allergic reaction in some kid while several thousand meters in the air! Am I over thinking it?

7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry trail mix; peanut butter; honey; survival food bars; Cliff Bars. Water and drink mixes. I am anal about carrying food that is ready to eat. Not food that is ready to cook.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  8. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I carry some of both like a pouch of mountain house along with a couple of power bars or the like. It depends on how long I am going to be out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Chocolate, flapjacks, mint cake and the makings of my morning coffee.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think travel food is more about weight than calories.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Ystranc: You and Lonewolf have both mentioned flapjacks. I think the U.S definition of flapjacks might be different than yours. The term we would use interchangeably with flapjacks is pancakes. These are made from a batter. Usually made in a frying pan or on a grill. Typically this is a breakfast food, and unless you make them ahead of time, you would have a difficult time making them on the trail, or when you are on the move.

What do you guys consider flapjacks? How are they made? Ingredients?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Flapjacks or Pancakes.......maybe try panbread or fruitcake.

I almost always have "Poptarts" and Red vine licorice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I usually have a few protein bars and some lifeboat rations on hand. A bottle of Survival Tabs are about the best lightweight food sourse I've found. I don't really worry about food all that much really. I will eat anything and all you have to do is flip over a few rotting logs and gather up lunch. Grubs are high protein snacks. Birds are everywhere and a Crossan pellet/BB pistol is all I need to keep myself fed.

7d800f0d132bb26e45d90fbd706dbb80.jpeg

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had one of those Crossan pellet/BB pistols when I was a kid. I put it back. As young man found the thing, dragged it out, cleaned it up, fixed the O-ring seal, and started using it again. I wonder if I still have that? Could be in some moving box -- I've not opened them all.

As I remember, these pellet pistols did NOT have rifling.

In my 30's, I got spoiled by German pellet rifles. Uber accurate! Forty yards, take out a soda screw-on lid every shot. Got other men interested. A friend from the Punjab nearly worshiped his target-quality / expensive German air rifle. I saw him make some mind-numbing shots. He made a lot of illegal kills, but man was he ever good. He bought a similar rifle and shipped it back home to his elder brother. No, I generally do NOT like food from the Asian subcontinent. I was happy for his family, for this rifle no doubt put a bunch of birds on the dinner table.

And like everybody has noted, Lewis and Clark had a turbo air-rifle on their journey out west.

Note that some of these kids' rifles, .22 single shot bolt rifles, have soft steel even used for the bolts. With my kids, when they were kids, we put a few boxes -- no excessive amount whatsoever -- through one of these little rifles and it set its bolt back, it was quite concerning. I'm talking about the little Italian-manufactured rifles. Even standard velocity harms them = you gotta think .22 CB Long cartridges. I wouldn't write this were I not thoroughly taken aback. Maybe they are better now -- I don't think so, however. Watch out.

TexDanm is spot-on concerning having something super lightweight and small to gather stew-pot meat. I doesn't take a whole lot of complete proteins & Vit B-12 to keep body and soul together. Your weapon having little or no report keeps you from being noticed and that is one super good thing post-SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mine is an older one with a brass rifled barrel. I used to have a shoulder stock that you could put on it and that thing was lethal. I like it because it would shoot BBs or 177 pellets. BBs are cheap and work fine on small birds, frogs, snakes, and rats. I kept my skills honed with one of these hunting rats in the corn crib and later when I worked in a rice drier. You can't use poison around grain so we had to hunt and trap them. We tried cats at the rice drier but the rats killed them.
    edce3889e22970314e5e827617f1318c.jpeg

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    One of my past employers had problems with pigeons getting in the building, and doing what pigeons do. We got a pellet gun from Wal Mart and our motto was " if it flies it dies ". We made a significant dent in the pigeon population. Problem solved.

Cheap. Easy to use. This one happened to be break action, single shot. No concerns about over penetration, so we could use it inside. No recoil, and very little sound concussion.

No. We did not eat them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    www.flapjackrecipies.co.uk

TMT Tactical likes this.