My Dear Baby.....

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Niemeil, Mar 25, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Niemeil

Niemeil New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi All,

Sorry for the sadly thread..... But Imagine tomorrow, you have to run in the middle of the forest.... But you have a 9 month baby, how to save his life ? Hypothermia is pretty simple, keep him on you BUT starving, thirsty (once your jerrican is empty and knowing micropur is not eternal....)

I have no idea and i'm afraid for my son in the middle of the pandemic and economic collapsing.

I know, i'm very (too ?) late.......

A father who take care of his son...

Best regards.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Central heating is a recent invention. Our ancestors survived, albeit with a higher mortality rate. Do you have the survival skills? Do you have a BOL? Stashed supplies? It is doable but your skills and planning are imperative.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    KNOWLEDGE. the more that you learn and know the less stuff that you will have to have to survive a situation. Those woods are full of animals that live without help and raise their families. Why is it that men, who you would assume, are so much smarter fail to survive in a place that may be a virtual garden of plenty? Knowledge. The animals know what there is there to eat. They know how to make dens and warm safe places to be protected from the weather.

This so-called pandemic is not an end of the world event. We will come out the other side of this. What it should be is a wakeup call to those worthy of survival that they need to know more about food than just taking a plastic card to a restaurant or store. When this is over you need to start keeping a better supply of food in your pantry. You need alternative ways to cook your food. Water filters that will allow you to safely drink from found water. LEARN what plants that are native to your area are good to eat and nutritious. Before you run off into the wilderness you need to KNOW how to feed yourself from what is there. You need to KNOW how to make a fire without a bic lighter.

I will tell you this, in the event of some sort of massive disaster running into the forest may NOT be a good idea. It will be you and a few million other people that don't have a clue about what you are doing and it is going to be UGLY!!!

this site is an incredible resource. read and learn and then go out and DO IT! Things that sound so easy when you read about it don't always go so well the first few times that you try it.

4. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    It's not too late. You can still plan things properly and learn.

As TexDanm has said above, knowledge is the most important aspect. Learn as much as you can about edible wild plants, different methods of lighting fires, different methods of filtering water, different ways to cook.

YouTube has a wealth of information as do sites such as this one. I suggest finding a good, well illustrated book about edible plants in your area.

Leaving home may not be the best idea unless forced or you have somewhere better to go like a BOL.

If you have the space start a vegetable garden. Store more water. Be aware of developing situations in your area.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've a son who is crippled to hell and back. He was killed, then brought back. I'd gone to the hospital to identify his body. I've had to take my only daughter off life-support and watch her die. When in high school, I closed my father's eyes. With my crying pregnant young wife nearby, I closed my mother's eyes. I have experienced more unhappinesses. Innumerable are the darknesses. Souls sometimes visit in the night, yet there is no daily comfort. This world affords no comfort. God's Mercy fled this world long ago.

Here's the deal, you DON'T get through it. This world damages the soul irreparably.

Pray God that you have the ability to get through the tribulations before you and such may be made manifest.

Yet in this world, listen not for any chorus of angels. Cry out to God and all you will hear is the ringing in your ears from the explosions that have gone off all 'round you.

varuna and howler like this.
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Running off into the woods with a baby also presents another problem in a lot of locations " mosquitoes " .

7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Niemeil,

First, a welcome to the Forum.

Without intruding on your privacy, if you'd provides some specifics as to what you're worried about, you'll surely get some quality suggestions from those who have already gone through matters like you're working on.

A pandemic is not "end times". The economy is not collapsing - - - although it is "re-adjusting".

Just from what you wrote above, the basic rule is to "shelter in place". Going into a forest without preparations is usually more dangerous than remaining at the domicile.

Again, a welcome to the Forum.......and tell your 9 month old, there's a load of emergency prep comic books here at my shack that he'd love when all this is over !

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    skills and knowledge are better than any stockpile, stockpiles run out skills and knowledge do not.
    this pandemic will run its course, much like the 1918 Spanish Flu and The Plague/Black Death before it.
    we had the Foot and Mouth outbreak in this country, very bad where I now live, cattle carcases burning on huge pyres in the fields, horrible sight and the stench was awful, but we got though it, same with the pandemic.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Niemeil

Niemeil New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    @Caribou : To answer you :

- Survival skills : In progress (4H per day, but beginning :/ )
    - BOL : Yes and No : my wife and I go in the forest (near our place) often and we know it very well. But it is hiking..... Not survival experience (bad point) :/
    - Stashed supplied : Same answer, we have it but for one month (+2 weeks with (currently) rationning my wife and I)

@Old Geezer : Sorry for all your loss :'(

@TexDanm : You're right, maybe i am a little pessimistic :/ .

@poltiregist : You're right too, mosquitoes are innumerable in our places in summer. But i don't know if better or wronger than starving / thirsty (especially for our son) :/

@Pragmatist : Actually, you may be right and i may be a little pessimistic. Thank you for your adivce for my son. I will read theses stories with pleasure :)

In any case, this event was to me a wake up, a slap, because i am not prepare for this or for other things.... And i would have to prepare for now.

A big thank you for all of you ;) .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In my experience pessimism is a result of not having enough knowledge to have a plan that you have confidence in. Once you understand the challenges and the ways to handle them you will find yourself worrying less and feeling more positive.

Genuine confidence comes with real knowledge and experiences. read, watch videos and then go out and DO it. If things do go as you expected then come back here and ask questions. We have a wide variety of knowledge available on this forum. Use it as a resource.

The big thing is that you become intimately knowledgable about the environment that you expect to be in. I know swamps and wet woods in a warm climate. I know nearly nothing about genuine cold and snow condition but we have Alaskans here that know about that. First, learn what is most applicable to you and then add to that because you never know what the future might spring on you.

It is good to have you here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Niemeil: This may be a foolish question, but why would you run off into the woods? Is your home not safe? Maybe look at bug in (staying in place) alternatives. Your home is almost always your best shelter. My first plan is to stay at home. My wife's health does not allow us to live in the woods. Maybe that is what you should consider with a baby.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I went back, reread and decided that I have failed to answer your biggest question. You litte son and what to do to help him survive. Babies and little kids are amazingly tough in a lot of ways. If you keep them next to your body they will be warm. that part is simple. I use the rule of threes when it comes to the big things that you need. one is none, two is some and three might be enough...

For water, unless you live in a vast desert, there is water to be had you just need to filter it. Buy a couple of Sawyer Water filters, one a mini and one of the slightly larger ones that can be attached to a 5 gallon bucket for large quantity gravity filtering. Also, get some water purification pills. several big sponges for collecting dew, and a pot for boiling water. That takes care of water.

For food you need some basic groceries like you always eat. Then you need some emergency stores. These are those dehydrated and soft packaged meals like MREs and the packages, just add boiling water camping/survival meal. This is your bugout food supply or backup. Third you need to prepare to grow, trap, catch and cook your own food. If you hunt, fish or garden you can apply that if you don't you need to learn a little about each. Food for you is food for the kiddo. You simply chew it up for him and then when you have it well-chewed you share it with him. This is what people did for thousands of years until Gerber baby foods came along and did it for us.

You will need shelter. That starts with covering your skin with good layers of clothes. then you need a tube tent and space blankets for emergencies. The next level is a larger tarp or better tent and then the tools and knowledge to build better and more permanent shelters. The shelter isn't as hard as you think. All that you HAVE to do is be dry and warm. You don't need a mansion so think small.

This is just a skeleton of a plan but it will keep you alive until you learn the things that your ancestors took for granted as common knowledge. Good luck.

13. Niemeil

Niemeil New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    @Morgan101 : I'm agree with you, my little family is in bug in state with the currently pandemic situation. It is currently foolish but if the pillaging begins for the provision supply is suspended or what ever, i prefer anticipate the circumstances instead of suffer them.

@TexDanm : Thank you very much for your plan, it is used to make a true todo list.
    I'm used to gardening for several years, less fishing and even less hunting :/

Nevertheless, thank you for your great plan and your very good advices.

I will make a plan for build shelter with several steps.

A great thanks !

Best regards from the North of France.

TMT Tactical likes this.