My Favorite Sleepy-time Tincture

Discussion in 'Medicinal Plants' started by Justin Baker, Feb 9, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Just updated my blog and thought I'd share the extra content with everybody here! Downloadable PDF recipe and instructions to make your own Sleepy-Time Tincture! You can find my post >>HERE<<
    Hope everyone is doing okay! Sleep well!

TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Justin for the good post, I have a family member one or more of these suggestins help

TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

Magnolia Bark ? It's down here but up in the Pacific Northwest ?

Ref 10; NEVER had to wonder why I NEVER sleep good at a motel (or hotel). They are over-priced and this annoys me. Nowadays the rooms are not that clean.

Ref 13; Listening to Bloomberg Business Report induces sleep. Always works.

The ultimate transition from "Prepper" to "advanced-level Prepper" is when it's not necessary to mentally debate what provides the more tranquil sleeping environment: the lead picture's occupant or a German Shepard.

4. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    Ah, I know of which you speak. The ones in your neck of the woods are magnolia grandiflora , or "southern magnolia". It has different medicinal uses; its bark is a diaphoretic, a stimulant, and a tonic. It is used in the treatment of malaria and rheumatism. They are both medicinal, as a lot of trees, plants, and herbs are, but in different ways.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    Good! Sleep is something that a lot of people take for granted. I think of it as part of my routine to get healthy, and it seems to be working! I'm getting more, restful sleep than i ever have in my life! I'm so glad other people can be helped by my blog's tips!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

Appreciate the clarification re the Southern Magnolia.

I can't tell the difference between a yellow pine and a royal palm. Still at a loss re that "sick ah more" tree that Momma Cat was singing about.

Madam Prag does use some of the stuff mentioned in your blog post. The specific items were recommended by her M.D.

7. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    It is always good when western medicine knows the truth!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I get my elderberry flavonoids via liqueurs such as St. Germain and it's competitors. I mix elderberry flavonoids (via liqueurs), "Liquid Smoke", and actual Mezcal in with with budget tequila to create my personal budget Mezcal / concoction. This may not be a curative agent; however, it is a preventative agent to fight viral and bacterial infections. This along with guaifenesin syrup or tablets allows ones's lungs to clear congestion when attacked by viral or bacterial attacks. In the vitamin realm, I take vit.C and vit.D along with turmeric and other nutrients/supplements to help this old/ancient body of mine to shuffle along for what time I have left. I also love herring -- simply love fish as did my paternal grandfather.

My paternal grandmother (born 1899)used chest poultices to break-up lung goop/yuck to prevent me from developing pneumonia. That was all they had back then! Say, extreme poverty, Southern Appalachia. People died of pneumonia back then, thousands died during flu outbreaks, thus herbalists had to act quickly to prevent pneumonia ... i.e. catch it before it sets-in. Back then, pneumonia killed. There were no antibiotics. Herbalists saved lives as did midwives. Up in Appalachian hollers, you had to do what was available. Heading out for a hospital = too late = funeral.

Back then, if you lived past childhood, adolescence, and feuds, there was a good chance of you living past age 80. My people lived past age 85 (the survivors); indeed three of my grandparents lived past age 90 -- maternal grandmother live to be 100. And yes, she did use tobacco in the form of snuff. She ate vast quantities of lard. So it goes.

Very few people owned cars or trucks. As a teenager, I had to drive my mom's dad to our hunting grounds and fishing lake, because he was a sh## driver. There were no cars nor trucks when he was growing up. He never really learned how to drive save for draft animals and horses (he was born before 1905). He had a little boat motor. He'd rent a boat, put on his motor he kept in the basement, and we'd go out fishing.

Fishing and hunting for us were not sport, this was supper table food. End of discussion. Poverty = grow your own and kill your own for the supper table. Modern folk simply can't understand this. Their naivete is going to get them dead post-SHTF. For my people, this was "things are as they are". There was zero theory to this. It was get by or get dead. Not complicated. Just how things were. They knew no other way. For them, my beloved, it was survive or die. I'm not their equal. They were far beyond tough. I stand humble before them.

"What Is Elderberry? A Complete Scientific Guide"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/diet/elderberry-health-benefits-dosing-risks/

Begin quote

If you’ve slogged through a cold or flu recently, you may be familiar with elderberry. The popular virus fighter grows on a shrub (though you’ll also hear it called an elderberry tree) and is a member of the Adoxaceae family.

Sambucus nigra, the most typically used species, is native to Europe and North America, but it and many related species are found in temperate regions worldwide. The plant's blossoms turn to fruits called, of course, elderberries.
    These edible berries are most famous for their use as an antiviral agent in medicines, and they’re also used to make wine, jam, syrup, and even pie filling.

The plant's flowers can be eaten or steeped to make a tea, and elderflower liqueur has been made for centuries.
    While elderberry has prehistoric roots, its reputation as a healer may originate with the “father of medicine,” Hippocrates, who called elderberry his “medicine chest” back in 400 B.C.

In the Middle Ages, elderberry was called a Holy Tree, believed to have the ability to preserve health and lengthen one’s life.

Even greater powers have been attributed to the plant: The leaves were used to guard against witches and spirits, and people would place elderberries on windowsills to repel vampires.

In modern times, elderberries played a key role in healing before the advent of antibiotics. All the parts of the plant were believed to be medicinal, including its leaves and bark, and were used to treat pain, as an anti-inflammatory, for toothaches, fevers, and more.

The berries were also a prized food source of Native North American people.

Nowadays, elderberry — specifically Sambucus nigra — is considered an alternative or complementary therapy for use against the common cold and flu, and it’s the berries that are primarily used and given as a liquid, gummy, or capsule supplement.

They’re rich in flavonoids like anthocyanins, powerful plant pigments that reduce inflammation and have antiviral properties.

Elderberry gained popularity in folk medicine as a treatment for virtually any ailment: as a pain reliever, for coughs, skin conditions, insect repellent, shortness of breath, swelling — the list goes on. But for now, these benefits are only theoretical — there’s not enough research in humans to conclude whether elderberry is effective for any of these uses.

You know you need to wash your hands constantly, especially in flu season. But there is some nonhuman research that suggests elderberry can act as another defense against illness.
    In a mouse laboratory study, elderberry juice appeared to stimulate the immune system to keep out invading influenza A virus and increase antibody production.

Some research with cell cultures shows that elderberry extract can inhibit influenza A and B viruses, as well as Streptococcus bacteria.

But you’re not an animal or a cell culture. Though folk wisdom says elderberry treats the flu, sinus infections, and bronchitis, clinical trials in people are still needed.

Another review pointed to research showing that elderberry extracts, which are rich in antioxidants called anthocyanins, may help decrease triglyceride levels and fat in the liver, while improving insulin levels.

End quote

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.