My Firearms Picks For Teotwawki

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Guns' started by Michael Anderson, Apr 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    What to carry?, along with my BOB, body armor, and web gear, and what to have at the ready for home use?, are important questions I ask myself when prepping for TEOTWAWKI, or even everyday life. Having tried different combinations in the past, for personal carry, I either carry a Glock G19 or my trusted Beretta M9 (both 9mm) for my primary. When the SHTF, I use a SERPA drop holster for either 9mm, or a leather Galco holster on my belt for everyday use. For my backup, I carry a Sig Sauer P290RS in .380 in a custom LH hybrid holster. My wife carries a Rossi .357 revolver in a belt pouch rig for her primary, and a Ruger LCP2 in .380 as her backup, which she has an IWB clip holster for. Both my wife and I would carry AR15's when the SHTF. Mine has a Barska 1-4X scope with 45 degree offset peeps, and my wife has Magpull pop-ups sights. Both AR's have Blackhawk Swift slings attached (3-point slings are awesome, by the way,)
    At home, I have on hand a S&W Model 25 revolver in .45 long Colt, and a Mossberg 500 shotgun, just to let a home invader know I mean business!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that accepts Glock .40 magazines and a Glock 22. I would prefer a Glock 17/9mm combo, but circumstances dictate that I use the .40 caliber. My backup is a Kahr CW-9 and I have a (relatively) lightweight Remington 870 on standby.

Michael Anderson likes this.
  3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Too many to mention.
    "Go to" is a Kimber .45, Colt Gold Cup
    with heavy recoil spring, Smith M-60 5 shot
    .357 (adjustable sight version), Rock Island
    9mm, and..................LOTS MORE!
    Can't beat a Remington 870 12 bore!
    6.8 s.p.c, various 5.56/.223................
    got 50 or more not counting black powder
    muzzle loaders.
    I love Holy Black.
    Black powder, white smoke = dead deer.
    Bang flop!
    12 bore rifled barrel and sabot slugs.
    Marlin 1895 45-70. Bang flopped one
    last season at a mere 40 yards.
    Half hour into the first day of season behind
    my house.
    300 grain hollow point.
    One can't use too much gun.
    Better to be over gunned than under gunned.
    I had one in Ohio's top 50 for archery harvest.
    207 Pope and Young score.
    Nice buck.
    Ohio grows nice bucks.
    Uncle Wilbur, a premier hunter, used a .300
    Weatherby magnum for deer.
    He could reach out and touch them.
    I like the 6.8 s.p.c.
    Good round.
    My reach out and touch is a Remington
    700 BDL in .300 Win mag.
    Just bought a Ruger SR 5.56 not long ago to
    replace the Double Star the AAAAAAAAAAAA
    RABS stole.
    The Double Star was a premier rifle.
    Medium weight 18.5 " barrel.
    Very accurate and utterly dependable.
    The Ruger SR 5.56 works well but I have yet
    to wring it out at 100 for accuracy.
    I'm sure it's minute of gobblin.

4. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      175/230

Blog Posts:
    Love all those Choices.
    I'm always thinking along the lines of compatible ammo choices. & the possible availability of those rounds post SHTF.. So my choices revolve around 9mm & 5.56mm, plus 12ga. That way I can stock up on the least number of different ammo & get better prices in bulk.
    I do like Glock if for no other reason than mag compatibility. They have many other great points, but I feel the mag versatility was a genius idea. IMHO

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Well I can certainly see the attraction of modern firearms for use in a fire fight, I have carried & used a variety of side arms & long arms in my time, but for long term wilderness living, the modern firearm has disadvantages. The amount of ammo you can carry for one & how long that ammo will last. Besides, I have been under fire, & I would prefer to avoid a fire fight if I can, so I plan on keeping a low profile & staying the hell out of the city.
    My choice of firearms for long term wilderness living are flintlock muzzle-loading arms. I have modern guns for defence, but if I had to leave my forest home & I could only carry one type of gun with me, it would be my flintlocks.
    Keith.
    3f485342597e193d354114ea8a8d0561.jpeg
    3f485342597e193d354114ea8a8d0561.jpeg
    .62 caliber fusil at top, & a .70 caliber smoothbore pistol bottom. I can use the same ammo in both arms.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    i'm not expecting to get into a firefight where I am, too many other places for looters to go through and be taken out long before they get here.
    I prefer something a bit quieter so as to not give away my location.

7. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    For defence at home we have: Two .22 rimfires, one .410 shotgun, one double barrel 12 gauge shotgun.
    Keith.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    In New Zealand isn't that about as good as you can do? I have a hard time remembering that other places don't have the same choices that I take for granted.

Just to show you how prevalent guns and hunting are here, I bet most places don't have deer corn in all of their convenience stores. I thought about that today because my favorite little local store where I buy most of my gas was receiving a new shipment of deer corn (6 pallets). Most hunters with leases here feed the deer year around with corn and supplemental vitamin reinforced salt and apple blocks so they will grow big and have big antlers. This also males for lots of well fed wild hogs that they kill for sausage mixed with the extra meat from the deer that isn't steaks or roasts. during before deer season starts or after it.

9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    don't have deer corn

Most Walmarts have "deer corn" plus feed mills have horse feed, same thing, plus you can
    make your own if you know how.
    It's easy.

10. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    plenty of grain silos around here, you can pick it up for free in some places as it spills out of the trucks as they go around the corners.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    It just struck me as funny and I realized that most places probably don't consider deer corn a "convenience " store item. We have VERY well fed deer here. We are mostly ranch and forest here. Not many farms but I probably have 15,000 cattle within 15 miles of me right now and several thousand horses. Pigs are a nuisance issue here.

There will be a lot of meat easily gotten for a while at least so any 30 cal rifle will do for meat gathering. The nice thing is that 5,000 of those cattle and a lot of the horses belong to the state and if things go down they will be open to the public. I have a full set of older carbon steel butchers tools and a pretty big smoker that will do over a hundred pounds at a time.

Since I'm off the beaten tract and in the "suburbs" of a town that has a population of 500 I'm not too worried about roving bands of marauding gangs. I've seen the roads when people tried to evacuate Houston. Within a couple of days it will be WALKING traffic only. The bridges here will make nice choke points where people can be stopped. They put up barricades during Rita to stop the flood of idiots. Big River and not many bridges makes for fairly good control.

The people that just run without a plan are going to find themselves unwelcome and urban people don't understand that when you live in the country without cops you are very willing to tend to matters yourself. These small towns will close up in a hurry. We all have guns and then you have the gun nuts like me that can arm a small army. I have one friend that works gun-shows a lot that probably has 15 or 20 ARs and AKs that he does modifications to then sells them at gun show. Lots of people these days are into building their own rifles.

In the end though there is no perfect rifle and whatever you have is only as good as you are at using it accurately and wisely.

12. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am a firm believer in the "fighting rifle" concept. Whenever I build a new rifle...my goal is: Is It A Rifle It Will Take To A Fight.

I have many many more fighting rifles...but these represent both ends of the spectrum from the most basic to the high end, high dollar select fire rifle.
    Fighting Rifles.jpg

13. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    roving gangs are not something i'm overly concerned about in my remote corner of Britain, there may be a few people wandering about but a few we can deal with and whether they will ever make it to my location is very doubtful.

14. Oldguy

Oldguy Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    My picks
    .22LR bolt compact, threaded muzzle.
    .223R bolt 26in heavy barrel
    .308W bolt 26in heavy barrel
    12g single barrel 20in barrel

I am not a soldier, do not intend to be
    I will be breaking contact and vanishing where possible
    or where not using the long range accuracy of my rifles, five decades of competition/hunting gotta be of some use:D

These picks are for Australia where distances are generally rather far, that's where I live so it is relevant to me.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Another Aussie, I don't recall seeing your introduction. Must have missed somehow. Which state are you in OG? I am in New England NSW.
    We also have an Australia board on this forum at: https://mysurvivalforum.com/forums/australia.91/
    Regards, Keith.

16. Oldguy

Oldguy Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Keith
    I have moved around somewhat over the decades currently in SEQ

Keith H. likes this.