My Firearms Picks For Teotwawki

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Guns' started by Michael Anderson, Apr 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    What to carry?, along with my BOB, body armor, and web gear, and what to have at the ready for home use?, are important questions I ask myself when prepping for TEOTWAWKI, or even everyday life. Having tried different combinations in the past, for personal carry, I either carry a Glock G19 or my trusted Beretta M9 (both 9mm) for my primary. When the SHTF, I use a SERPA drop holster for either 9mm, or a leather Galco holster on my belt for everyday use. For my backup, I carry a Sig Sauer P290RS in .380 in a custom LH hybrid holster. My wife carries a Rossi .357 revolver in a belt pouch rig for her primary, and a Ruger LCP2 in .380 as her backup, which she has an IWB clip holster for. Both my wife and I would carry AR15's when the SHTF. Mine has a Barska 1-4X scope with 45 degree offset peeps, and my wife has Magpull pop-ups sights. Both AR's have Blackhawk Swift slings attached (3-point slings are awesome, by the way,)
    At home, I have on hand a S&W Model 25 revolver in .45 long Colt, and a Mossberg 500 shotgun, just to let a home invader know I mean business!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that accepts Glock .40 magazines and a Glock 22. I would prefer a Glock 17/9mm combo, but circumstances dictate that I use the .40 caliber. My backup is a Kahr CW-9 and I have a (relatively) lightweight Remington 870 on standby.

Michael Anderson likes this.
  3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Too many to mention.
    "Go to" is a Kimber .45, Colt Gold Cup
    with heavy recoil spring, Smith M-60 5 shot
    .357 (adjustable sight version), Rock Island
    9mm, and..................LOTS MORE!
    Can't beat a Remington 870 12 bore!
    6.8 s.p.c, various 5.56/.223................
    got 50 or more not counting black powder
    muzzle loaders.
    I love Holy Black.
    Black powder, white smoke = dead deer.
    Bang flop!
    12 bore rifled barrel and sabot slugs.
    Marlin 1895 45-70. Bang flopped one
    last season at a mere 40 yards.
    Half hour into the first day of season behind
    my house.
    300 grain hollow point.
    One can't use too much gun.
    Better to be over gunned than under gunned.
    I had one in Ohio's top 50 for archery harvest.
    207 Pope and Young score.
    Nice buck.
    Ohio grows nice bucks.
    Uncle Wilbur, a premier hunter, used a .300
    Weatherby magnum for deer.
    He could reach out and touch them.
    I like the 6.8 s.p.c.
    Good round.
    My reach out and touch is a Remington
    700 BDL in .300 Win mag.
    Just bought a Ruger SR 5.56 not long ago to
    replace the Double Star the AAAAAAAAAAAA
    RABS stole.
    The Double Star was a premier rifle.
    Medium weight 18.5 " barrel.
    Very accurate and utterly dependable.
    The Ruger SR 5.56 works well but I have yet
    to wring it out at 100 for accuracy.
    I'm sure it's minute of gobblin.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Love all those Choices.
    I'm always thinking along the lines of compatible ammo choices. & the possible availability of those rounds post SHTF.. So my choices revolve around 9mm & 5.56mm, plus 12ga. That way I can stock up on the least number of different ammo & get better prices in bulk.
    I do like Glock if for no other reason than mag compatibility. They have many other great points, but I feel the mag versatility was a genius idea. IMHO

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I can certainly see the attraction of modern firearms for use in a fire fight, I have carried & used a variety of side arms & long arms in my time, but for long term wilderness living, the modern firearm has disadvantages. The amount of ammo you can carry for one & how long that ammo will last. Besides, I have been under fire, & I would prefer to avoid a fire fight if I can, so I plan on keeping a low profile & staying the hell out of the city.
    My choice of firearms for long term wilderness living are flintlock muzzle-loading arms. I have modern guns for defence, but if I had to leave my forest home & I could only carry one type of gun with me, it would be my flintlocks.
    Keith.
    3f485342597e193d354114ea8a8d0561.jpeg
    3f485342597e193d354114ea8a8d0561.jpeg
    .62 caliber fusil at top, & a .70 caliber smoothbore pistol bottom. I can use the same ammo in both arms.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not expecting to get into a firefight where I am, too many other places for looters to go through and be taken out long before they get here.
    I prefer something a bit quieter so as to not give away my location.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    For defence at home we have: Two .22 rimfires, one .410 shotgun, one double barrel 12 gauge shotgun.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In New Zealand isn't that about as good as you can do? I have a hard time remembering that other places don't have the same choices that I take for granted.

Just to show you how prevalent guns and hunting are here, I bet most places don't have deer corn in all of their convenience stores. I thought about that today because my favorite little local store where I buy most of my gas was receiving a new shipment of deer corn (6 pallets). Most hunters with leases here feed the deer year around with corn and supplemental vitamin reinforced salt and apple blocks so they will grow big and have big antlers. This also males for lots of well fed wild hogs that they kill for sausage mixed with the extra meat from the deer that isn't steaks or roasts. during before deer season starts or after it.

9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    don't have deer corn

Most Walmarts have "deer corn" plus feed mills have horse feed, same thing, plus you can
    make your own if you know how.
    It's easy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    plenty of grain silos around here, you can pick it up for free in some places as it spills out of the trucks as they go around the corners.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It just struck me as funny and I realized that most places probably don't consider deer corn a "convenience " store item. We have VERY well fed deer here. We are mostly ranch and forest here. Not many farms but I probably have 15,000 cattle within 15 miles of me right now and several thousand horses. Pigs are a nuisance issue here.

There will be a lot of meat easily gotten for a while at least so any 30 cal rifle will do for meat gathering. The nice thing is that 5,000 of those cattle and a lot of the horses belong to the state and if things go down they will be open to the public. I have a full set of older carbon steel butchers tools and a pretty big smoker that will do over a hundred pounds at a time.

Since I'm off the beaten tract and in the "suburbs" of a town that has a population of 500 I'm not too worried about roving bands of marauding gangs. I've seen the roads when people tried to evacuate Houston. Within a couple of days it will be WALKING traffic only. The bridges here will make nice choke points where people can be stopped. They put up barricades during Rita to stop the flood of idiots. Big River and not many bridges makes for fairly good control.

The people that just run without a plan are going to find themselves unwelcome and urban people don't understand that when you live in the country without cops you are very willing to tend to matters yourself. These small towns will close up in a hurry. We all have guns and then you have the gun nuts like me that can arm a small army. I have one friend that works gun-shows a lot that probably has 15 or 20 ARs and AKs that he does modifications to then sells them at gun show. Lots of people these days are into building their own rifles.

In the end though there is no perfect rifle and whatever you have is only as good as you are at using it accurately and wisely.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am a firm believer in the "fighting rifle" concept. Whenever I build a new rifle...my goal is: Is It A Rifle It Will Take To A Fight.

I have many many more fighting rifles...but these represent both ends of the spectrum from the most basic to the high end, high dollar select fire rifle.
    Fighting Rifles.jpg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    roving gangs are not something i'm overly concerned about in my remote corner of Britain, there may be a few people wandering about but a few we can deal with and whether they will ever make it to my location is very doubtful.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    My picks
    .22LR bolt compact, threaded muzzle.
    .223R bolt 26in heavy barrel
    .308W bolt 26in heavy barrel
    12g single barrel 20in barrel

I am not a soldier, do not intend to be
    I will be breaking contact and vanishing where possible
    or where not using the long range accuracy of my rifles, five decades of competition/hunting gotta be of some use:D

These picks are for Australia where distances are generally rather far, that's where I live so it is relevant to me.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Another Aussie, I don't recall seeing your introduction. Must have missed somehow. Which state are you in OG? I am in New England NSW.
    We also have an Australia board on this forum at: https://mysurvivalforum.com/forums/australia.91/
    Regards, Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith
    I have moved around somewhat over the decades currently in SEQ

17. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    "I have Never Owned a Firearm and Never Will, because The Police will Protect Me, the Government is my Friend, and besides, Guns Kill People."

That said, I suppose I have whatever protection I need when and if Hard Times come:
    • For home defense on my farm, I have a Mossberg 500 slide action 12 Ga shotgun;
    • When hiking or driving long distances, I carry a Ruger 9e autoloading pistol in 9 mm;
    • For hunting, I use a Mossburg bolt-action rifle chambered in .30-'06 Spgfld
    • To intimidate large groups of people and bolster my own insecurities, I own (and might carry) a DPMS Oracle AR-15 carbine in 5.56 NATO.
    But the one gun I'd never give up, especially if TEOTWAWKI happens, is my Ruger 10-22 autoloading rifle in .22 LR. With an 18-inch heavy barrel and a Kidd trigger (which I haven't yet fully tested), it provides me with enough accuracy to kill any game up to a wild pig and incapacitate a human.

It is as reliable as any other firearm I've owned, allows me to carry six month's worth of ammunition in a small bag, and even without a suppressor, allows me to keep a very low profile, which is a hell of a lot more important than any amount of large-caliber firepower. I also have another 10-22, a take-down model with a shorter barrel and the stock trigger, which can fit in a day-pack.

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the .22, I have a BRNO .22, but I would never use it for hunting wild boar. I assume from what you say that your wild boar must be smaller than our's here.
    Keith.
    dbb9e8b2ae24ce6436f3f43e9c6f3213.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I am over whelmed. great selections. Here is my meager list.

556 AR
    7.62 x 39 Ar
    Mossberg 20 ga. semi auto shotgun
    9Mm pistol (2) -- (1 Ruger and 1 Canik)
    Ruger Precision rim fire 22Lr
    T/C compass 6.5 Creedmoor
    T/C Compass 22-250
    T/C Compass 300 Win. Mag
    Sako 243 (Retired but can be called upon if needed)

That's all folks.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The 10-22 really is a great little gun. With all the available accessories it can be adapted to almost any need as long as you remember that a 22lr has only minimal stopping power. Even that can be handled to some extent with large magazines and trigger modifications that will allow 5 round bursts. 5 22lr rounds in the chest has a fairly good chance of stopping a person.

I am a big fan of the Mossberg 500 and have several of them each set up a little different. If I wasn't already so invested in the 500s I would like to try a Mossberg 590M. I'm not sure that tactically a magazine feed would be all that advantageous though. I can feed shells into the 500 in between shots without taking it out of battery. The Defender has an extended tube and 8 or 9 rounds of buck shot offers a lot of lead in the air. In most cases that will deal with a problem. I have an X shaped 50 round bandolier so I can stuff it pretty fast for a long time. Even though I shoot right handed I am left handed so stuffing shells while still holding the gun on target is no problem.

I also carry a9mm Ruger for concealed carry. I like the double action trigger and not having to mess with safeties. It also will shoot with the magazine out which I feel is a plus.

The 30-06 is the most versatile round out there for people that don't reload because of the many different loads available. Even for reloading it is as good as you need unless you want to hunt dangerous big game. It isn't that the 30-06 can't take big game it is just that if I'm going to shoot something that will try to kill me if I don't drop it FAST I want more power!

I've had and done the assault rife thing. I'm old now and not planning on assaulting anyone or being mobile so I got out of that and replaced it with lots of Mossberg 500s and 30 caliber rifles. Assault rifles are great offensive weapons in forests, jungle or close urban area. I'm going to be defensive and will try to kill you at a distance or with a shotgun up close. The ammo weight doesn't matter much when you are in a defensive posture.

I think that you have all of your bases well covered.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, so my grandson Tim ...
    bd3dee7cd9a995fadc7b57b8157c1ac5.jpeg

LastOutlaw and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Another line of thought is to keep the enemy from getting too close in the first place.
    upload_2019-1-10_21-40-48.png

I found this photo online, but used it because I've owned & like the Tikka rifle and of course a good scope to mount atop. OK, so I like nostalgic/historic rifles, however when it comes down to business ...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    533ffa5db5bc45580d37900a744e6f22.jpeg

We have them here too. The thing is that they are not game animals here and are not hunted as game in general. The Hogzillias always get some attention but in general people don't shoot them with large caliber weapons. If you drop one in your yard you have a big body to deal with. Mostly hogs are treated as vermin and shot with light caliber weapons so they will run off into the bush to doe and you don't have to drag them off. 5.56 FMJ is probably the most common round used on hogs. Unless you hit the heart, brain or spine they will go somewhere else to die. East Texas is infested with them. Most of them are in the under 200 pound size range. In the winter after there is a freeze there is some hunting for hogs. You take a hog and mix that meat with deer meat and make sausage. Since the hogs fed at your deer feeder all fall it is only fair that they contribute.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    746c8dd048f0d18915de8ca40f3ed2e6.jpeg
    Pig, Guinea Pig, know the difference.

746c8dd048f0d18915de8ca40f3ed2e6.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Give the kid a feed or two he looks a bit small:p

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen 38 caliber bullets bounce off a domestic hogs head come slaughter day . Had to go get a bigger caliber . Some on here may not have ever ate wild hogs . Sows taste fine but a bore is full of testerone and tastes awful just cooking the meat puts off a fowl smell . The way to make a bore eatable is to catch it alive ,tie it up and cut its balls out , pen it up for a couple of weeks to let the testerone leave then the meat is way more palatable . Casterating a wild boar is not a job for the squeamish .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When shooting a hog for butchering you shoot them behind the ear. A head on shot on their sloped foreheads can lead to a very angry hog. LOL, I have seen the results of this issue. If you will carefully remove the sex organs in one piece FIRST you will eliminate nearly all that wild taste associated with boars. In the wild the young boars are actually the best eating. The sows drop two litters a year and all of that leaves them more run down and in poor shape. Castrating ANY boar whether wild or domestic is an ugly experience. Cutting a stallion is even worse.

28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back to the original thought. I have always liked lever action guns but recent reading made me look at them again. Understand this, the lever action rifles were the original assault rifle. A 30-30 is a better round than even the 300 Blackout and with practice you can stuff shells into a Winchester without taking it down from your shoulder allowing you to maintain a constant rate of fire. At least where I live 30-30 ammo is so common that some grocery stores stock it in deer season. Even some convenience stores have it as do all hardware stores. Usually the ammo is rather inexpensive compared to other rifle ammo as well.

The thing is that you can pick up a used Winchester for a song and a dance right after deer season. One of my friends that had a country store that butchered and processed deer, hogs and cattle usually bought about 25 or 30 of them after deer season and then sold them for a nice profit in October. He was sort of renting them out. The cost of one of these old classics is negligible compared to an AR or AK that is well made.

In my opinion a Winchester or other well made lever action, a well made 12 ga pump, a Ruger 10-22 and a good handgun has all the bases covered without breaking the bank. I like revolvers but that is just me because I prefer a more powerful round than is generally available in most autos.

The Winchester and Marlins allow the feed without taking the gun down. The Henry is loaded from the front of the tube BUT you can make speed loaders for it and stuff that tube full in seconds. If you like it you could also go to a magnum pistol caliber in a lever action and match it with a revolver in the same round. The thing is that these will cost you more than a plain 30-30.

You don't have to spend a fortune to be WELL prepared. I honestly wouldn't feel out gunned with a Winchester against an AR. People that have not been in the military tend to place too much emphasis on the "gun" and not near enough in the tactical. I love on the TV shows where you have the good guys with pistols killing all the bad guys with machine guns. IF the idiots with he machine guns will stand out in the open waving their gun around a person with a bolt action will kill them all. Superior tactics can over come superior personal weapons almost every time.

30-30 in the hands of a stalker is tough to beat. The article below is a pretty good one if you want to read it.
    https://www.concealedcarrytoday.com/what-are-lever-action-rifles-good-for-4/

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  29. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Do not own a modern firearm. Misspent youth.
    50 call.. mountain pistol stuffed with home made steel shot.
    54 call sharps papercutter.
    Ten point wicked ridge crossbow
    Bowtech compound
    I know, bows ain't firearms.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Whatever works for you is good. I had a friend that had a helicopter almost shot out from under him by an angry farmer with a muzzle loading gun. He blew a big hole in the fuel tank so they had to hurry home. Someone had shot his water buffalo and he wasn't having anymore of that. They got him a new buffalo and bought his like 8 gauge single shot muzzle loader from him. He wasn't Charlie he depended on those buffalo to work his farm though and was just defending his livelihood.

31. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Savage Mark II.jpg My weapons for TEOTWAWKI would depend on what I'm away from home for. Most of the time it would be my Savage Mark II 22LR with suppressor and subsonic ammo. Super quiet. Then either a MK18, MP5 or M21 attached to my pack and the G19 in a horizontal chest rig.

Dale

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    b8f9a217fb3a3ce73f665964344e6156.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

If your telling people to ship weapons through the US Mail without declaring them, and their caught...that is a Class A Felony and you will lose your right to own any firearm. Why are you encouraging illegal behavior here?

Dale

3978de57a208fa398a19b2210380f412.jpg

Morgan101, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  34. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Jerb, different weapons for different needs. My bolt action will drop my target at over 1300 yards, and still be supersonic. Most battle rifles will not match that range. Do I want a bolt action for close in firefight, not really but anybody with any firearm knowledge does know that no one types of weapon serves all situations. When the 22lr cartridges all disappear, the muzzle loader will still be working.

Morgan101, Keith H. and Dalewick like this.
  35. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Got to love that meme :)
    Keith.