My Ghb (get Home Bag)

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Dalewick, Oct 22, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I've been doing this for a while (30 + years) so I thought for giggles I'd write down and share what I carry in my GHB and gear.

I fit everything in or on my Karrimor SF Predator 30 Bag.

1. IFAK with Meds
    2. Camelback 3Liter
    3. Mini Sawyer Water filter kit
    4. Lensatic Compass
    5. Maps
    6. Small E & E kit
    7. Poncho
    8. Poncho Liner
    9. Goretex Bivy Sack
    10. Emergency Rope (1/4 inch and 2400 Lbs breaking strength)
    11. D-Ring
    12. Mini Figure 8 Decender
    13. Swiss Seat - 16 ft rappel rope
    14. Rite in the Rain Pad
    15. Pencil
    16. Shemagh
    17. Gloves
    18. Water Purification tabs
    19. 50 Ft Paracord
    20. Otis Weapons Cleaning Kit
    21. MK18 modified (5.56mm Nato)
    22. 6 - 30 round magazines for MK18 loaded
    23. Rations for 3 days
    24. Fire kit
    25. Knife
    26. Admin/Tool Kit
    My Admin kit includes - (in it's own pouch attached to the outside of my ruck)
    1. Ink Pen
    2. UV Flashlight
    3. UV visible highlighter
    4. Tripwire
    5. M-80 type ignitors
    6. Cloths Pin triggers
    7. 9V Batteries x 2
    8. Small Sewing Kit
    My small E & E Kit includes (stored in a small mint tin)
    1. Button Compass
    2. Small Knife
    3. Fishing line
    4. Fishing hooks
    5. Wire Saw
    6. Snare Wire

If I needed it, I also have a LBE (Battle Belt) that I would use with the GHB for during a SHTF event. (long patrols, long range recon, etc)
    It includes:

1. H Harness
    2. Battle Belt
    3. Magazine Pouch x 4 mags
    4. Radio pouch and Radio
    5. Compass Pouch (backup compass)
    6. General Pouch (extra food & misc.)
    7. Large Knife
    8. Butt Pack (contents vary)
    This is what I carry.
    it weights 32 lbs with ammo and the MK18 is a little over 6 more pounds. AR MK18 with GHB.jpg

Dale

wally, GateCrasher, Morgan101 and 4 others like this.
    1. varuna
      I'm surprised there is someone here using Karrimor

varuna, Oct 23, 2019
    2. Dalewick
      Varuna, would you please elaborate? The pack I have is as well made as a number of more expensive packs I've had (including Mystery Ranch & Lowe Alpine) and won't let me over pack. Makes me think more on what goes in than the larger packs I had.

Dalewick, Oct 23, 2019
      Sourdough likes this.
    3. varuna
      Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Karrimor or Karrimor SF and I'm also quite familiar with their line of products. It just I've never seen anyone in eeech... American dominated forum mentioning or using them. I typically only saw brand such as 5.11 or standard issue / mil-surplus that get mention or use.

varuna, Oct 23, 2019
      Sourdough and Dalewick like this.
    4. Dalewick
      LOL! I've traveled a lot and seen a lot of the world. I'm not much impressed with the usual Tacti-cool items and judge what I purchase off of the same criteria I have used for years....How well does it work? I even spent about 6 months in the Philippines in the 80's. Mostly dealing with NPA incursions on Subic NAS or Clark AFB. USA military equipment has modernized but it is still made by the lowest bidder.

Dalewick, Oct 23, 2019
      Sourdough, Morgan101 and varuna like this.
  2. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have that same pack, same size. It is surprisingly comfortable for a $90.00 Bag.

And thanks for the thread start.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Your welcome sir. I've been thinking on your post the other day and trying to think of "New" post for the site.

Dalewick, Oct 22, 2019
      TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I have been prepping for a much shorter time than Dale (about 5 years) so my GHB in the car is a lot less impressive. I also moved continents last year and had to leave behind or give away an unpleasant amount of preps and start over. So overall I was a bit reluctant to make a detailed list but perhaps a few ideas from the more experienced preppers on what needs the most urgent attention/upgrade is a good idea.

You will probably laugh but I actually have 4 bags in the car. The main and most important is my GHB. Then comes the one I packed for my husband (not that he knows it's his lol). Then there are 2 dog back packs because I often have the dogs with me, and they can carry their own food and water thank you!

So my bag contains the following:
    1. 3 days rations
    2. Water
    3. Water purification tablets and a lifestraw
    4. 2 emergency sleeping bags
    5. Ponchos
    6. Tube tent
    7. Duct tape
    8. Hand crank light/radio
    9. Flashlight and batteries
    10. Emergency candle
    11. Fire lighting kit
    12. First aid kit
    13. Dust masks
    14. Gloves
    15. Paracord
    16. Carabiners
    17. Tissue and wet wipes
    18. Rite in the rain pad with a pencil and pen
    19. Compass
    20. Maps
    21. Knives
    22. Extending baton
    The bag comes in at about 20 pounds. I also went for a more civilian looking back packs rather than camo in an attempt to blend in with everyone at the beginning.

The second bag contains the less emergency type items. Changes of clothes for us, fancier sleeping bag, a few Mountain House etc. Nothing I'm not ok with loosing if it can't come with.

I also don't have weapons beyond the knives and baton. It's just not worth the problem if the RCMP get upset about finding guns. Here's hoping it takes the Canadian's longer to totally go violent in a SHTF situation.

So in comparison to Dale's its lacking but I think we would still be better off than most people if something happened away from home.

wally, Sourdough, Morgan101 and 3 others like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Looking good to me.

Dalewick, Oct 23, 2019
      TMT Tactical likes this.
    2. Dalewick
      Rebecca, I use Multicam because I am very seldom in urban areas and the multicam blends in with almost all terrains. My wife has actually yelled for me when I was in plane sight in the front yard with multicam pants on and a green T-shirt. Only 60 feet away. So, I'm a believer.

Dalewick, Oct 23, 2019
      wally, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, what's typically in your Level 1 (clothings & pockets) and how heavy are they? I typically have about 2.5Kg / 5.5lbs there

Sourdough, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      My everyday carry is pretty simple these days. I carry a Glock 43 in a DeSantis leather belt holster and one extra magazine. A Kershaw "Link" fast open knife, I Phone 4 in a Magpul case, Zippo black lighter, Citizen Eco Drive Titanium watch, money clip, Metolius FS Mini Carabiner for my keys. Everything weights about 3 and 1/2 pounds.

Dalewick, Oct 24, 2019
      Sourdough and varuna like this.
  6. Rebecca

315/345

Blog Posts:
    I quite agree with the multicam. For the bags in the car though, I have to go into the city every 3 weeks and if I end up having to walk out of the suburbs I want to look as uninteresting and un prepared as the rest of the masses. Hard decision though because after 50 miles the multicam would be the better choice. At least by then there will be less people.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  7. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Have you train the dogs to carry their own bag + load?

Good point there. Depending on your local environment monotone colour such as olive-drab, coyote-brown, or grey are good enough, still it's depend on your local environment.
    However in practice, how you move, body language, gesture also has prominent effect for concealment.

Sourdough, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Rebecca: Your bag(s) look very complete. I carry very similar type bags in my car. One is small, and would be a true Get Home Bag; just the bare necessities, but I am seldom more than 5-10 miles from home. One is a duffel where I keep heavier tools; blankets; tarps; rain gear, complete change of clothes from the skin out. I have a food bag as well with food, water, and a cooking system. I think I have every item you have mentioned except the tent, and my baton is not collapsible. It is an old school night stick that every beat cop carried.

Do you keep a good sturdy pair of shoes or boots in the car if you have to walk a long distance? Are you in an urban area or a rural area? My travels are almost always urban or suburban, so I keep a silcock key to access water spigots on the outside of buildings, and cash in small bills. Spare eyeglasses or meds if necessary?

I think many of us live in our car, and rely on that to have all the gear we need. Even if it is sitting in the parking lot, and all you have to do is get out of the office or the store, whatever, you will have access to what you need.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  9. Rebecca

315/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, to the dogs those bags mean camping, hiking, hunting etc they are much more enthusiastic to put on a back pack then I can ever hope to be!

Yes to the shoes, and in winter heavy jackets and snow boots. We live very rural but I have to go to the airport in the city every few weeks. The eyeglasses are a good tip I shall act on asap, thanks. Definitely don't want to be caught without a back up and break my current ones.

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    One more item which I carry, and I can't believe I overlooked this: A good whistle with a lanyard. If you have to signal three blasts from a whistle will signal an emergency. I highly recommend the Fox 40 Classic. It is plastic, and pealess. Here is a link that goes into detail. You can get them at Wal Mart for about $6.00 - $7.00. They won't break the bank, and you won't even know you have it.

Sourdough, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    If anyone was wondering, I left the contents of my IFAK off on purpose. I'm making it a Thread of it's own.

Dale

TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  12. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    An idea for those with bags in a vehicle. Maybe put the bag inside an empty large dry "Dog Food" bag. or even inside one of those dog beds. Kind'a like hide in plain sight, but just not high on the thief of car contents lists.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  13. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suggest some junk silver coins and about $20 cash in your GHB Just in case.
    Also while I like Mil Surp equipment a lot, sometimes it is best to NOT look military.

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      When I travel I always have at least $100 in small bills in a couple different spots on me. If I'm walking home, the world has turned to shit in a major way. Then the MK18 is out, at the ready and if there smart, they go the other direction. I'm old, achy and pissed at the world at that moment. The last thing a criminal would ever see. LOL!

Dalewick, Oct 26, 2019
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry any money in my GHB, if the world has gone to SHTF my sole purpose is to get home NOT go shopping!!

TMT Tactical and Justo like this.
  15. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just because the power went out doesn't mean everyone has figured out that it isn't coming back on for awhile. Electronic cash registers may not be working but some places where you could buy something to make your trip better might still be open for someone with some cash or silver coins. A ride in an emp proof vehicle or animal pulled wagon could be possible as well. In that case those who didn't see a use for having any money in their GHB would be SOL. Have a nice long walk home.

16. Rebecca

315/345

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree with this. Its going to take most people a while to figure out cash just become worthless. So if I can buy a bottle of water here and there on the way home rather than filtering, why not? Pay for a ride, or a bribe for something. And if I get to that last mom and pop store on the corner before the final push to reach home, I'm going to buy buy all my unhealthy favorites with what ever money is left. Because yes there is a stock at home but that doesn't last forever. I shall miss chocolate lol.

17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    then that is a minor event.
    if I have to get back home i'm going directly there, if I pass a small store then I MAY buy a few trail bars and a bottle of water-although I carry water in the car- but only if I pass it, no detours.
    if the electric is out the tills wont work, nobody has manual tills these days.
    the main purpose of a get home bag is to carry just enough gear to get back home nothing more, its not a bug out bag or an inch bag, its simply to get back to base as fast as possible.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  18. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Agreed on keeping cash in the GHB. Preparedness at it's core is making sure you have the things you use everyday, and money (in all it's forms) qualifies. Debit and credit cards may not work, and personal checks are unlikely to be excepted, so cash. I keep two 1oz American gold eagles in my business travel/out-of-town GHB in addition to cash, could be handy when even cash isn't accepted, or for bribes like getting through a checkpoint or getting to the front of the line. Don't discount using bribes to grease the wheels if needed.

19. LastOutlaw

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Crap! 2 one ounce Gold Eagles should get you anywhere in the world... that is about $3000.00

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  20. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Two chances to avoid problems I figure, it's a trade-off on how likely I am to need it and how likely it is to be lost or stolen while traveling. But along with a good story (mostly fictitious) and a little paperwork evidence of my VIP status (very largely exaggerated), maybe it gets me a seat on a plane home when I'd otherwise have gotten bumped off it, or even a couple tanks of gas for the rental car if driving it home. It's a crap shoot, can't know the nature of the SHTF until after it happens, just hoping they might help me get home quicker if "it" hits when I'm 1,000 miles away. A week or two's wages in a single coin could make the difference.

I consider PMs just part of our savings mostly, not any different than any other commodity like pork bellies or oil, but unlike a futures contract or a commodities fund they are under my control with no counter party risk. I can sell them through a gold dealer like Apmex or Kitco to convert them to Federal Reserve Notes in good times, and they might have value in bad times if nobody wants FRNs.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
  22. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If a person had an extended-cab, long-bed pickup with bed cap, the following little firearm would come in handy for eliminating those pesky people who violate your 6 o'clock region. Might help to have cousin Ricky riding shotgun to operate this puppy.

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/new-isis-killing-machine-kobani-10-foot-long-giant-sniper-gun-616134

One thing about having your bug-out bag in one's trunk is that you might have to stop your vehicle to retrieve it. If all you have up front is a handgun, then you could have put yourself at a disadvantage.
    Here's a training video addressing this topic:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here are the vehicles I use. A King cab Nissan Pickup and a Can Am Commander side by side. The MK18 goes behind the passenger seat in the truck and in it's carrier over my head in the CanAm.

Truck.jpg Can am.jpg

Elk hunting in Colorado a few years ago.

Dale

24. Dalewick

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I bumped this because I realized I had left off 2 pieces of gear that are always with me. One is a windproof and water repellent smock/jacket (British style) that stays on top of the pack with a fleece jacket that fits underneath the smock. If need be, I can always sleep in the jacket and smock for an extra layer of warmth. I prefer not too most of the time so that there is no risk of condensation build up on either jacket. The poncho liner, poncho and bivy sack are usually more than enough unless it is bitter cold and snowing.

Dale

Rebecca, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.