My Own Herb Garden

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by Koala, May 25, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I have some extra space near my normal garden and I really want to get into growing herbs. I found the perfect spot to start investing my time into my very own herbs garden. The herbs that I want to put in are:
    - Rosemary,
    - Mint,
    - Lavender,
    - Aloe vera,
    - Ginger,
    - Parsley,
    - Basil,
    - Melissa,
    - Sage.

Any other herbs that I should consider planting? perhaps I missed some important ones. I'd greatly appreciate your tips, thank you :)

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    All of them? I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to plant so many different plants close to each other... they might require different cares and have different needs. Of course this also depends on how big your space is.. I'm not an expert gardener, but I think putting so many different plants in very small spot wouldn't give many benefits.
    I would suggest focusing on the ones you like the most, just a few, and get the best out of them.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It looks like you have a lot of herbs already. What we have here is mint only plus the local herbs like tawa-tawa which is a cure for dengue and the pancit-pancitan which is an antidote to arthritis pains. Although we don't consider ginger as herb, we have lots of ginger all around the house. We use it as decorative and at the same time an ingreient for cooking. Our aloe vera is not considered an herb but just a medicinal plant that is good for burns.

4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I'm not planting them right next to each other, no worries! I do have some knowledge and I know which I can put near and which not because some are ''heavy'' eaters and require more nutrients compared to others. Companion planting the herbs is actually good so it reduces the chances of pests and so on. Also, the space isn't tiny. It just isn't used right now.

Corzhens, that's very nice. We sadly don't have Tawa-Tawa here. I absolutely love ginger in different dishes or tea!

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have a vegetable patch where I grow variety of herbs such as ginger, turmeric, lemon grass, aloe vera, holy basil, milt etc.
    Our needs for these herbs are always fulfiled through our herb gardening. We never buy ginger and turmeric, even though we use these herbs in our food daily. We also never buy aloe vera, our requirements of aloe vera is covered through our aaloe vera harvest.