Mylar Bags Versus Vacuum Sealed Bags

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by poltiregist, Nov 24, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Admittedly I have never used a mylar bag . After watching a few videos on the use of mylar bags , could find only one advantage the mylar bag has over regular plastic vacuum sealed bags . It keeps out light . By throwing some oxygen absorbers in the vacuum seal bag before sucking out the oxygen and sealing and storing in a dark environment would appear to be a better of the two choices . Perhaps I have failed to grasp something here , so I wondered about you guys thoughts on this .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Another thought I had , is to place the vacuum sealed bag inside a mylar bag with oxygen absorbers for double precaution .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never used any of this stuff, cant see the point, lot of faffing about .
    as these seem to be only used for extra long term storage wouldnt we be growing all our own food by then? fresh food is always better to stored food, I've always considered stored food is only a stopgap until we could grow our own fresh food.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the stored food is good backup for the possibility of a crop (s) failure. Mother Nature can be a cruel B1tch. Bugs, blight, weather or other unexpected conditions can and have ruined many crops in the past. Having stored back up supplies, is always a nice prepping plan. Grow, when and what you can but stored food can help fill an empty belly.

lonewolf and poltiregist like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one should always have stored food, even in the good times, things like Covid and the Ukraine war will disrupt the supply chain, many other things will too , dosent just need disease or conflict, especially in more rural areas like where I am that are at the end of the delivery chain for most things.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    For those that need to start from scratch or see the need for food supply increase , being able to buy in bulk dry items such as beans and rice and storing away the food for years to come is very important . It appears mylar bags is a big thing in some prepper circles and was wondering what advantages it might have , that would draw people to use them . For some people apparently their preparations are sitting on a time line , so as when their stored food runs out their life clock stops .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stored food to a prepper is but a stop gap, all food stores will expire at some point even if someone stores several years worth, especially post SHTF when it cannot be replaced, by the time it expires we should have all got our growing areas established and are looking forward to our own harvests if indeed havent already harvested our crops. anyone who thinks they can survive on stored food alone is a fool and will soon be a dead fool once TSHTF.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Very true , some realize though they don't have a adequate place to grow enough food to survive and are at least facing reality . A lot of people fall into that category . For them that stored food is how long they can expect to live . Often I see people with unrealistic expectations of how much food they "could " grow .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a lot, especially over here, are short term preppers, they store food for short term events ( a few weeks a month at most- they then consider that "job done") and dont consider anything long term, I have often been trolled by such people for my long term opinions and planning. ( the UK govt considers anything over 31 days as long term ).
    for smaller groups, like family groups -which all UK ones fall into that category, smaller plots of land are all that are required, and these smaller plots are easier to hide .

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.