Myth: Isolated Areas Are Safer?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've seen this advice in a number of places — find a secluded place, make it your home and you'll be fine.

Fact though is there is no place that can't be found. Assuming that you'll be lighting fires then unless you cook only at night then odds are people will see the smoke and some may want to find out what you are doing out there in the wild alone.

There are also people who might be wandering but unlike they are trying to find someone to rob. Living in isolation, you'll be an easier target especially if the group decides to attack from several directions.

Thoughts?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on the survival rate, also without oil and fuel how far do you think people will wander? if their anything like the people of my country not very far is the answer.
    just wandering about hoping to find food, water and shelter will get them killed in short order.
    there are so many ways and so many directions people could go, some places will never be found.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I would not ever count on not being found!
    Yes that is the ideal but there is no place you have found that others can not also find!
    Yes many will not go far before they stop but there are many who will travel very far indeed!
    Hunting pressure may push thousands into the little nooks and crannies to hide from the hunters or to hunt the hiders!

John Snort likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the situation and the location. To my mind, a scenario like a war invasion where you evacuate to the mountains, I would prefer to be in isolation. More people means more to share the resources present in the location. But if you are alone with your family then survival on food and water would be better. But if you will evacuate in a deserted city then I guess it is foolish to be in isolation for surely there are people around who may be criminals that could harm you. It is better to be in groups, with people whom you can trust with your safety.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Why would the criminals stay when all there prey have fled?
    Would they not follow all those fleeing the cities?

6. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I don't know Why here in this forum people assume that finding strangers in the wild would end up in a hostile encounter, like you were some animal seizing territory. Indeed, people around might get curious about your personal seclusion, but It doesn't necessarily mean that a criminal gang will come, steal your stuff, kill you and throw your corpse in nowhere.

I understand Why one prepper may want to avoid unwanted contact. But is somewhat paranoid to adopt a "kill or be killed" mindset in regards of finding another strangers.

Mr Boots and Prairie Dog like this.
  7. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To be fair, it's not an intentional hostile attitude against everyone. It's more of a precautious mindset in which you believe that others might want to harm you, and as such, you must keep your guard up. It's true that not everyone will try to hurt you, but maintaining a lax attitude with anyone you encounter sure can get you killed. Also, if you wander far off, I don't think people will find you that easily. The best solution is to find an isolated area far off from either side of a highway which is distant from any possible residential area. This ensures a bare minimum of people ever wandering nearby the area you've settled in, if they ever do actually bump into your place. Anyways, good luck!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The further away from civilisation you are the more chance of not being found. Yes you can be found where ever you are, but the closer to civilisation & the more visible you are it stands to reason you are more likely to be found.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog, lonewolf and John Snort like this.
  9. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't go as far as to call this a myth. Finding a secluded place is one of the main tenets of survival in a world that has gone violent. For instance, if World War III commences and everyone is fighting each other, a survival tactic would be to get away from the conflict as far away as possible. Of course, you can't always hide forever. People may or may not find your secluded hiding area. Still, finding a secluded place would be a better survival option than staying close to the conflict.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was a Japanese soldier who stayed hidden for about 30 years after WW2 ended, nobody found him, it took his old commanding officer to get him to come out of hiding.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I remember reading about this chap. He was stealing food from people's houses as I remember it.
    Keith.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think he was foraging and laying traps and snares for wild animals as well, I don't think he was just stealing.

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh I daresay, especially in the early days when he did not want to risk exposing his presence, but something must have happened to make him take food from dwellings. I would imagine it was the latter that led to the search for this man & the eventual finding.
    Keith.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think they ever found him, oh they knew he was there but they never actually caught him as he kept moving camp, in the end that's why they called out his old commanding officer to get him to come out.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is this myth in Britain, mostly by people who live near London that because we are a relatively small island that nowhere is safe, but this isn't true.
    I can take you to places today that are so isolated that the inhabitants see no one(except the postie) for months on end and strangers get stared at, and that's in the good times!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  16. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would always consider that someone could find my location easily because I found it so just like me, people will wonder far distances looking for whatever it is that they are looking for. When I think about this, I also think about website security, many people out there who surf the internet probably know nothing about hacking, but all it takes is one person to do non dismiss-able damage.

Anyone can come, leave, then come back with more people. Isolated areas are perfect place for any type of crime to happen because it's less likely that law enforcement will get there in time to prevent trouble from happening. If you're in an isolated area, you better be able to handle all types of threats. I think that's a problem with many people who choose to live off-grid.

What will they do when danger comes? I've watched many people show off their tiny homes in the wilderness, but they never discuss defense, not that they are keeping it a secret, but most likely because it's the last thing that's on their mind which is the only reason that would keep me from finding an isolated area in the first place.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been a believer in the horde principle, especially not in Britain. people are not just going to leave where they have lived for years and years just because there is no food in the shops, sure someone who lives just outside a big city is going to have a problem with scroungers and scavengers but the further one is away from these big city the less this will be a problem. the belief that people will wander about just looking for food and shelter is just that-a belief. by the time people have run out of any food they had at home and have realised that no-the shops aren't going to be resupplied and that no- the government isn't going to save them, they will be too weak from lack of food(and drinkable water) to go any further than their front gate.

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recon that if you lived in England & were a part of a group, one of the castles would be a good place to set up shop. I used to love visiting Arundel Castle in West Sussex when I was a kid.
    Keith.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most Castles in England these days are owned by The National Trust-a charity- and are open to the public, they cost a lot of money to run.
    I have a prepper friend who is making a list of all such places for use post SHTF, my "group" is much smaller and so are our needs.

20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I very much doubt that there will be any law & order if the SHTF. So relying on the police to help would be folly. I live off grid, & yes we have experienced raiders/intruders from time to time, but we have to deal with it ourselves as best we can. IF there were to be a SHTF situation, we will handle it, we are prepared.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog and hades_leae like this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    anything Post SHTF will be WROL-without rule of law, any reduction in the population will also result in the reduction of the Police and Military too.
    in my area the Police numbers are being halved because of "budget cuts" and 34 Police Stations will be closed within the next 4 years for the same reason, so post SHTF we will be very much on our own in the Westcountry, this is a known fact and has been known for many years.

22. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't think isolated areas are safer. In my experience drug addicts, criminals, thugs take refuge in isolated areas. If you go to isolated area, you could end up being robbed or man handled. Being in crowd is safer compared to hiding on isolated area. If the isolated area happens to be in jungle, than there is a danger of wild animals. If you are concerned about safety, you should always always avoid the road less traveled.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think some people get confused with comparing an area in the good times with areas in the bad times, they always assume everyone who is alive now will survive, this is incorrect, the population post SHTF will be much smaller than it is now. my area is not a tourist area, it is a farming area, and hill farming at that, we get very few visitors now and the ones we do get are usually lost!!

24. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Its for a reason that people live in gated communities. The dangers one faces when living alone outweigh the benefits because in the event of an internal medical emergency one wouldn't be able to solicit for assistance. Wild animals are also a threat. It goes without saying that in the wild, people behave like animals and one would have it hot if attacked in such circumstances.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    gated communities are too obvious, if gated they "obviously" have something worth stealing and will be targeted for that reason.
    living in a remote area isolated from the rest, not attracting attention, keeping a low profile, and staying away from other people, is, as far as I am concerned, the only way to go, I have no need and no desire for other people company or attention.

charles sault and Keith H. like this.
  26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gates on properties here do not necessarily indicate a dwelling is present. Gates are required for moving stock from one area to another. The forest we purchased many years ago was already gated, but there were no buildings present. Track use though is an indication of constant use by vehicle traffic. Fortunately we have a plan in place which will see our group's Rangers patroling the area & the tracks will be guarded. Gardens & dwelling areas will be enclosed within stockades, again with guards. There are plenty of farms between here & the city where the dwellings are visible from the dirt roads, which ours are not.
    Keith.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    gated communities are not common but where they are they are usually inhabited by Londoners fleeing the immigrant masses.

Keith H. likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you start with a low population area in the good times, post SHTF post "die-off" the population will be lower still, add in a remote rural (non tourist)area with lots of major rivers to cross, high sided valleys and roads that will disintegrate under normal winter storms, no motorways, no major roads , and you have a recipe for being left alone.

29. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    my closest neighbor is 8 miles away and is my son. we live well away from the urban $truggle and city turmoil as land comes up for sale we buy it. i own 111acers now my son has 120 my aunt thats 96 owns the land between my son and i. she has 220 ive been paying the taxes on her place so its mine legaly but aunt m lives there still and doing well mrs and her sell goods at farmers markets wens and frii the small towns we have here are nice towns not prefect but still a good place to live i guess we are lucky

charles sault likes this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was a report in the local newspaper that a small town 13 miles from here with about the same population had only one policeman on duty at any one time, (there are NO police and no police station here where I live) there are supposed to be five, one as I said was on duty, one was off sick, 2 were on secondment somewhere else and there is one vacancy, dosent matter as that police station will be shut within the next 18 months along with over 30 others, pretty soon there wont be a police station in any rural area only in the cities.
    like I've said before, we in the south west are very much on our own in the good times never mind post SHTF.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  31. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I very much agree. While I would obviously be cautious, if this person or group was resouceful enough to travel to my local and encounter me they might just be an individual/group to keep around. Many hands make lighter work and their abilities would enhance your survivability as long as the land could provide enough to support the larger group. Just my thoughts.
    Prairie Dog

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    be very cautious about inviting strangers into your group post collapse, you don't know them or their intentions, as far as I am concerned strangers = danger!
    better to be alone and trust no one than in a group and get a knife in the ribs in the middle of the night and all your meagre possessions stolen.

Keith H. likes this.