Natural disinfectants

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by crimsonghost747, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    We all know that disinfectants are pretty much a mandatory part of a first aid kit. However, once supplies start to run out, what sorts of natural things can you use instead to clean wounds?

From the top of my head, the only thing I can think about is alcohol. Or simply using clean water to rinse the area.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    There are a few plants/natural oils that you can use as antiseptics and disinfectants. The one's I am aware of are honey (has a concentrated antibacterial agent), olive leaf extract, carob powder, St. John's Wort (can be used as a topical salve like Bactracin), lemon and lemon oil, and pineapple (which is an astringent).

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think there may be another post on this subject somewhere on this forum.
    Yes boiled water for cleaning, fresh urine from a healthy person is very good for cleaning wounds. I believe one can make a disinfectant from eucalyptus leaves as well.
    Keith.

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I am intrigued that fresh urine can be used to clean wounds, but yes, urine is sterile and doesn't contain vermin in a healthy person. My take is that when supplies dwindle, the fresh juice of the Aloe vera plant as well as its variants belonging to other species should perform an excellent job since its a tried and tested antiseptic. We have used it in the past. I also believe that vinegar can also serve this purpose. I also made a discovery that slaked lime powder is not only cheap, but can be applied on wounds to disinfect them as well as seal them preventing reinfection and prompting faster healing.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Witch Hazel is an astringent, but I believe can also be used for disinfectant. I am astounded that urine can be used to clean wounds since it is sterile. I guess the key is to make sure the donor doesn't have a cold or any other illness.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    How about salt? Maggots do a fine job so I have heard, cleaning away the dead flesh & excreting a disinfectant onto the wound.
    Keith.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The most common natural way of cleaning at my place is the use of hot water and a towel. The towel is dipped in the hot water, then squeezed and then used to carefully clean the wound while the towel is still hot.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Aloe Vera may be used as a disinfectant, antibiotic, germicidal, antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral. It's an ideal natural solution to be utilized in the treatment and healing of wounds.

9. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Silver is a natural disinfectant. In ancient times silver coins were dropped in to water containers to keep bacteria from growing. Vinegar mixed with various spices such as cloves, garlic or cinnamon to create Thieves Vinegar is also a natural disinfectant.

10. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    It is proven honey has amazing antibacterial properties, and also a great nutritional source. Nowadays lab companies are investing in the application of honey, as for example dressings for wounds, embedded with honey, and this is making competition with older and reliable dressing, for example, made with iodopovidine.

11. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Salt can also be a substitute but one has to be careful on how to use and when to use salt. Although most homes nowadays uses iodized salts, would it matter? Or the native salt is better?