New Chainsaws Suck

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Jul 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    There's a backstory on this. Years ago when I lived in Kentucky I used a chainsaw nearly everyday. It was usually a used saw picked up somewhere, garage sale or some such. Used it for cutting firewood, clearing brush, fence lines, building, cutting posts etc.

Anyhoo I splurged one time and bought a brand spanking new husqvarna, probably 40 cc or so. It was a cutting son of a gun. I wore it out eventually. Then I moved to northern Michigan. I heated with wood so I bought another husqvarna, basically the same model but a few years down the road. It didn't cut for poop as compared to my other. It cut "ok". Time went on. I don't use a chainsaw like I once did.

The world wide web shows up along with the EP effing A. So I'm doing web searches on chainsaws and come across info on woods porting. Apparently sometime along the way the EPA came up with rules for chainsaws. limiters and such. So I wondered was my first husky before these rules and my second one was after.

It is claimed that woods porting a saw can get a performance gain of 10 to 25 percent, runs cooler, cuts faster. I dabbled a bit with a newer husky I have and found some benefit but didn't do the full boat woods porting.

I'm thinking about going full steam ahead on a woods ported saw.

Blitz, Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have also used chainsaws a lot in the past and modern saws SUCK! I had a Homelite that I bought in the late 70's and it would run like a scalded dog all week long. I used it to sell firewood, clear roads and build trapline cubbies. It lasted me 20 years before it died. Had a Poulin after that and have a new one now that I want to shoot more than run. I've heard really good things about ECHO chainsaws and a friend let me run his for a hour. It reminded me of my old saw. I was just happy it would cut without bogging down or cutting off. Plan on buying one next spring.

Dale

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

A question on saw use in northern Michigan:

Did your saw fire up easy enough in the cold weather ?

I had a Stihl, V series, with heated carb (not for use in Virginia) and real cold weather even tested the heated carb for decent performance.

Although no longer any need for any saw, have always wondered what's best for the chilly places.

Merci in advance.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I never really had any troubles with a saw starting in cold weather but to be fair cold here might be 10 below zero, it does get colder. That's not really that cold.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

Well received.

7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I use Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws and have a good half dozen at various locations (home, cabins, etc). Even at 30 below, the husqvarnas start right up. My Stihl takes a bit to start on the coldest days. My newest chainsaw is perhaps 8-10 years old, so perhaps it isn’t a good indication of the current productions. I’ve not heard of woods porting. Something to research!

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It shouldn't need heated carbs to run a chainsaw at -10 as long as you have the right fuel mix and have switched to winter running by moving the little redirection block on the air intake.
    Having said that I run an old Stihl MS660 built long before the carbs were crippled by legislation and their performance was ruined.
    The German built ones are pretty much the same because the American market is so massive.

Blitz, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I bought a new Stihl chainsaw last winter. What a beauty. So easy to start, as long as you prime her and let her warm up, like a good woman, she never misses a beat. Had to crank her up today actually after an unexpected cold spell.

Previous Husqvarna was too temperamental, though age could have had something to do with it.

TMT Tactical likes this.