New Gun

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by TexDanm, Nov 11, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a new weapon over the weekend. I wanted something to keep full time in my wife's car. She and I have tried on an assortment of different handguns and settled on a Ruger Security 9. It seems to have slimmed down the chunky feel of so many of the double-stack high capacity automatics and that is important to me. My trigger finger is short most of the last joint. I lost it in an industrial accident many years ago. While pistols with grips similar to the 1911 colt fit great in my hand many of the high capacity guns in recent years just don't feel right in my hand. I would have to adjust my grip slightly and take the recoil more on my thumb than into the web of my hand.

The Ruger's have always had a great feel to me. The MarK 1 target pistol that I have is the most naturally pointing weapon that I have ever shot. You can point it more than aim it and get great results. This gun seems to fit me that way too. It has a lot of features that I sort of insist on, the biggest being that you can fire it without a magazine in it. If you lose or damage your magazine you still have a functioning weapon. If you will drop and reload before you run dry there is never even an instant when your weapon is disabled.

The other thing I like about it is the price. I hate to throw a 6 or 7 hundred dollar gun in a glove box. I've known too many people that lost guns at car washes and such. At 350 dollars the Ruger is a lot less expensive. All of the reviews that I have read say that basically it is similar to a Glock and that while it may not have as fine an accuracy for targets it is all in the 10 ring on a target at 25yards so it has a combat accuracy that is fine. I've owned 7 or 8 Rugers and they all have held up well and been dependable. I expect this one to be no different.

I'm going to the Range next week and break it in and let my wife get used to it. I have had excellent accuracy with the little single stack LC9pro and used it for qualifying for the concealed carry shooting test. This gun has a better grip and a longer barrel so as long as I can cover up a 10 round group of holes in a target with the palm of my hand after shooting from 25 yards I'm pleased.

2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Let us know how it works out from the range trip. I do admit, I am not a fan of leaving firearms in an unattended vehicle. I know it has to happens sometimes but I really dislike doing it. I have to leave my pistol in the trunk, when I go into the doctors for an exam and it bothers me the whole time.

Morgan101 and Caribou like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's what I do, I kick the slide stop pin out my Browning Hi-Power. Take the pin with me. Lock slide in place with the safety. Got a cheap chopped 9 from northern Spain. It's slide stop pin is held by a wire -- no kidding. I don't like kicking that pin too often; even so, I was able to get me another one of those holding wires as a spare. I like the chopped weapon due to its being heavy steel. These weapons I've owned forever. Even though a bit loose, the Browning is accurate and I'm a nut about accuracy.

I consider handguns only make-do weapons. They are fun to shoot at the range. If the family is put to danger, I do not fool around; go repeating center-fire rifle with blunt-front exposed soft lead ammo; severed limbs, pureed body organs. Or, I go with shotgun slugs. Shotgun pattern doesn't open-up anyway inside a house. And yes, I want to be able to shoot through walls and 2"x4"s and refrigerators and floors. Just don't break into my castle -- not too much to ask. Everybody simply leaves me alone and they'll be peace in the valley. I'm way too lazy to attack other people's castles. I could attack a piece of key lime pie right about now.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh! Without a slide-stop pin, the thief racks the slide, then the slide and barrel exit the frame when coming back into battery. They keep on flying. Flying off the front of the frame. Oh to see the look on some felon's face! And likely kinda embarrassing for the felon -- especially if he's trying to "cap" a cop. Great way for a felon to get euthanized.

Morgan101, Duncan, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I live it isn't much of a problem if you use a little caution. I carried a shotgun on my gun rack in my truck for years without a problem. I never lock my house. If I lived in a bigger city I would bolt in a small gun safe. I have a couple of friends that go to Houston a lot that have done that. In my truck, I have a Hi-Point that cost nearly nothing. It shoots a lot better than I expected but my wife has a hard time racking the slide. It is a blow back action that is able to handle +P+ machinegun ammo. I have several thousand rounds of that. I wanted something that is lighter and has a more easily managed safety system for my wife to have in the car. She has a model 85 Taurus 38 snubnose or a Ruger LC9pro 9mm for her purse when she travels but while we are here she doesn't carry it all the time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I'd prefer to secure the gun versus letting them steal it even if it's missing a part.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If nothing else you could use one of those cable locks that they give out with new guns these days and lock the rascal to something solid in your car when you leave your car. Most thieves of this sort don't carry bolt cutters.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Very good idea. I have many of them and will leave one in the trunk. Thanks.

TMT Tactical, Nov 13, 2019
  8. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    You need different doctors, or are you going to the VA? I remove my sidearm to visit the VA but not for any other doctors. Most of my doctors are shooters so we have great discussions. I only had one problem and I just never saw her again, problem solved.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      The doctor is being replaced.

TMT Tactical, Nov 14, 2019
      Caribou likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife is a dental hygienist. The office that she went to work for when she retired from the Prison system is so gun-friendly that everyone there is a concealed carry licensed person. the Dentist had an ankle holster. Small town people tend to be more gun-friendly than the big city folks here.

I suspect that because this area is so infested with people that work in the prison that we have a population that is more aware of the consequences of criminal behavior. I remember that when I first moved here that I was shocked that people would leave all sorts of tools and even fishing equipment in the backs of their trucks in store parking lots. This is a really bad place to have a jury trial.

The combination of the prisons and the University's huge Criminal Justice interest makes it a very law and order place that gives out VERY harsh sentences because the people here know how the parol system works. Seriously back when we had the Democrats in the Governor's mansion you could get out on parole from a life sentence in as little as SEVEN years. SERIOUSLY!!!! A guy here got life for spitting on a guard. He was stupid and thought that since he had AIDS that he could give it to a guard by spitting on them. Based on his intent he was convicted of attempted murder.

When we go to Houston we lock our guns up in the trunk if we don't carry them. If we went down there more often I would probably install a lock box.

Morgan101, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I own a Ruger 9e never conceal carry unless I'm on a hike somewhere or am wearing loose-fitting casual clothes. Spending more time in a larger town (Twin Falls) I thought it might be the better part of valor to carry a small concealable handgun. I was quite impressed with the .380 Ruger LCP2 until I started seeing a lot of info about it having FTC and/or FTE issues. Has anyone here had an LCP2 and if so, had those kinds of problems?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Henry rifle w/loading-gate video

Many will already know the proper way to load a lever rifle which has a side gate, but for those new to them, let me give instruction and include a video -- I don't much like this video, but the fellow shows the proper technique. Do not push the first shells all the way past the loading gate. Only after the last shell is inserted, let the gate close. Initially, the shells go in ALMOST all of the way, however to keep the gate from shutting, leave the rim a bit out (say a quarter inch of the rear end of the casing). This will provide an open gate catch, thus when subsequent shells enter, they are following the shell in front of them. If you let the gate shut, it is more difficult to load subsequent shells, because the receiver mechanism must allow the last shell to go forward a bit to get out of the way of the gate being opened. If each shell follows the next, open-gate, then this is avoided. Let me repeat, after inserting the last shell, let the gate close.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Assault lever action rifle rapid fire

If your rifle has significant recoil, DO NOT centrally place the butt of the rifle, i.e. over your collar bone. It will kick the crap out'a you! You will experience a phenomenon generally referred to as "pain".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  15. BSHJ

BSHJ Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    ----------------------------------

You should probably lock it all up if you go South of New Waverly

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I pushed my purchase of a lever action rifle (Henry) to the bottom of my list, in the hope Henry will start producing a gate loading, pistol caliber (44 mag) lever action Big Boy case hardened version. A fella can dream.

17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really like the Henry and will hope the side gate loading is extended into the pistol caliber models. Thanks for the Marlin link. I did check it out. I did see something bewildering. The Henry Big Boy 44 mag uses a 1/20 twist rate. The Marlin uses a 1/38 twist rate. That is very strange to me. I can't see why there would be such a drastic difference. Maybe some of out better informed can explain to me.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-color-case-hardened/

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894cb-44-magnum

Caribou likes this.
  19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I pretty well have the lever-action rifle thing covered and have Winchesters, Marlin, Savage and Henery rifles in .357 mag, 30-30, 300 Savage and 22lr.

I finally got to take out my new Ruger Security 9 and run some ammo through it. I am happy to report that it does exactly what I wanted. It feeds flawlessly and the accuracy while not tack driving will still keep a group at 25 yards that U can cover with my hand. Best of all for me is that even though it is a double stack magazine the grip is not as chunky as some are. If you have small hands and don't like the feel of a lot of the high capacity mag autos you might want to try one of these on for size. I lost most of the last joint on my trigger finger to a saw many years ago and don't have as much reach as I would have so have always mostly avoided the fat handles autos.

Back in my hay day when I was selling guns and doing a lot of shooting I got a bad taste in my mouth for the autos. Back then with the exception of a COLT 1911 ACP, Luger, the P-38 and a Browning Highpower, most of the centerfire autos were jamamatics. S&W just couldn't seem to make an auto that you would want to bet your life on. I spent countless hours trying to make the colt lookalikes of that time to function dependably and then just gave up. You could port and polish them to hell and back and they would still stove pipe or fail to extract. Also back then the 9mm ammo was all ball and not much of a stopper. That only left the Colt 1911 and I honestly never was a big fan of it with the exception of the Gold Cup and the Combat Commander neither of which I could afford. :-(.

I really like the new autos with the trigger safety so that you can just grab them and shoot. Now, even the cheaper 9mms, are pretty dependable. I've put 500 rounds through a Hi-point without a jam or failure to feed. All that I have done to it is polish the ramp and make a few adjustments with a ceramic file to smooth the rough edges. I swear that thing is like the old Raven 22 auto. UGLY cheap and totally unimpressive but flawless in function. There just isn't much that can go wrong with a blowback action.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.