New Member New Guy In Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Olpoop, Oct 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Olpoop

Olpoop New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Ex-Highliner (High Voltage Electricity), now sewing machine operator. My wife and I have a small sewing shop in rural Oklahoma farm country. I prefer people-powered machines and tools, and have been collecting and using them for years.
    CD in Oklahoma

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day & welcome to this forum. I am the same regarding hand tools etc. We still have an old treadle singer sewing machine, but I converted a modern electric sewing machine so we could power it from the singer sewing machine treadle base. That was over 40 years ago & we are still using it. I converted another treadle sewing machine base to drive an old electric bench grinder.
    Keith.

Olpoop likes this.
  3. Olpoop

Olpoop New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Keith, thank you for the welcome. I too converted a zigzag machine to treadle power, and use it frequently (Singer 319W). I mend most of the denim and heavy woven clothing for our little sewing shop with it. I also have several other treadle and handcrank sewing machines, including industrials, for use in mending or altering webbing, leather, and other thick materials. I have electric machines, but I prefer to use people-powered machines when I can. It’s not that I intend to go off-grid, but I’d like to be as prepared as possible if the grid ever leaves me.

I also have a treadle-powered bench grinder similar to yours. I haven’t used it much since I just got it rigged up this summer. I would like to get a little more speed out of it, and have a stationary bicycle that I may adapt it to instead of the treadle.

I’m looking forward to discussing the use of old technology and tools that still can benefit us today, and on into whatever the future brings.

CD in Oklahoma

Attached Files:

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the images CD. We converted an Elna sewing machine to treadle not long after we were wiped out by cyclone Tracey in 1974.
    Keith, New England, Australia.

5. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Welcome! Never thought about sewing machines much but the way you talk about them makes them sound interresting.

Olpoop likes this.