New Helicopters For Night Wildfire Fighting

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Feb 21, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Spend a fortune on equipment verses clearing the underbrush. That is California in action. Wonder if anybody has checked into the carbon footprint of these new toys?

3. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    The "new" helicopter's been around for almost 50 years -- at least the airframe has. Sikorsky won the competition in 1972 and the UH-60's first flight was in 1974. I don't know abouit its carbon footprint, but it is one noisy mo-fo, that's for sure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Why don't they just spend the money on cleaning up the brush instead?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning F22,

In reply;

Because the objective is to allow for building residences that generate county taxes.

The aircraft and related support systems are not paid for by the county.

It's a big business - money-wise.

Western forest conditions are about the same as they always were less the new houses arriving on the scene. This is what caused the land disturbance and the adjust life-cycle that nature has to adjust to the new houses. It's going to be a forest fire / wild fire or insect disease.

Like I say: The counties are the problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Taxes must have a lot to do with it. However, were I an insurance company underwriter, I would NEVER approve fire insurance for pine-forest areas. Or I'd put the price high enough to cover company losses.

There is far too much underbrush to clean-up. Forest fires are part of the natural life cycle of pine forests. Fires allow the germination of pine seeds.

https://www.nationalforests.org/our...ine/how-trees-survive-and-thrive-after-a-fire

My word to the people who move into pine forested areas: Tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ... tick ...

Richard Earley and TMT Tactical like this.