New Inflatable Tent

Discussion in 'Tent, camper, RV, or other man made shelters.' started by Pragmatist, Oct 4, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.themanual.com/outdoors/exod-ark-hanging-inflatable-tent/

Good morning all,

Named Exod Ark, it is far from being advanced IMO.

Needing an external air pump at the cost of this tent ... funny.

Must learn more about the military emergency stretcher technology.

For this tent to cost >US$ 3 K, it's to a familiar tune: "Motel 6 here we come, Back from where we started from..."

Article has link to more "extreme tents". All this is Yuppie stuff.

Am wondering if the secondary link's raft tent / waterbed comes with 2 auto rechargeable plasma lamps.

Breakfast at Alice's Restaurant.............if we can reach shore.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    $3,300 US isnt cheap, out of my price range.
    and what if you havent got an air pump or it gets broken? no shelter.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Here is their official store site

https://www.exod.store/

Whoever came with this design is definitely had failed in their market research & business analysis side.

Looking at the spec its 8Kg for the tent alone sans the pump. That is 8Kg for 2 person tent for ridiculously expensive tent. Although I admit there are great tents out there that is worth around $2000+ but they are worth the money because they were design for extreme condition. While this tent might find a small market niche, maybe for those whose cruising around in their $1M plastic (fibreglass) yacht, but that's about it

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf and Varuna,

Concur !

Better to send any extra money to the destitute investment bankers relief fund than to this yuppie tent company.

This company is why Prepper organizations and websites are necessary with the meltdown of our various so-callled education programs.

Appreciate posting the company's website, Varuna. Glanced at it. It was funny. Wait 'till the guy needs to change from muddy and water-infected rubber boots/Wellingtons to leather one's. No room in tent without even addressing where the clean boots are kept.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll stick to my 41 year old Ridge tent thank you very much.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    For that amount of $ for 2 person tent, its better of with Hilleberg Tara that came at $1300. But its Hilleberg, they really worth the money. The only downside of this worth the money expensive tent is none of them is foolproof

China brand air pole tent which is rather foolproof. Half of my tents these days is from this specific brand. They are cheap and available.The 3 persons version of this tent only cost less than $400 (pump included). And pack weight including the pump is around 12Kg

The market niche for the tent is for those who only wear sandals and pitching their tent on the beach.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Just spent some time surfing around the Camping Console site. It's a decent site.

To me, a base camp shelter is a lodge in the Canadian Rockies where they have that real apple juice that's fermented and then distilled. Viva le Canadian Pacific Railway Co. !

6 persons in the number 8 tent ?

I like that cold weather canopy with stove. I'm now in the mood for an espresso and some Trader Joe's chocolate chip cookies. There will be no crumbs in the tent.

At the site's TIPS section,at Clothes, at Spring, Summer, they recommend some socks such as all cotton and not mixed fabric. Even in summer, I highly recommend all wool.

There's good info on site for camping with babies and with (young) families.

Didn't look at prices for any of this stuff.

Varuna; Very good ! It's a Yuppie tent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Way over priced for its spec, wouldn't last the weekend winter camping with me in the hills.

10. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a gimmick to catch millennials and yuppies. I'm not sure how well you survive with the cold winter wind blowing completely around you up off the ground. I've seen similar tents but just never thought I would want one. The idea of using one after SHTF is just a NO. Don't want to be a hanging target ever.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I can understand a big family sized inflatable tent/field hospital but not for hiking use.

Dalewick likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sort of a M.A.S.H. set up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.glowinflatables.com/inflatable-medical-tents

Good morning Max and Lonewolf,

Above is a British company that carries inflatable big tents.

Mentioning M.A.S.H. reminded me I did some volunteer work in Appalachia and places some supplies in an inflatable hospital tent.

At above site didn't see the apparatus to inflate the tent. It won't be too different than getting a holiday baloon filled with helium at a local store.

cc: Maj Margaret H.L. Houlahan, RN, NC, 4077th M*A*S*H, APO San Francisco, 12345

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not suitable for anything I would want to do.
    ah yes "Hot lips" who can ever forget her?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Inflatable tent do have specific niche even for hiking. When your doing more of an expedition (with logistic support and such) it is a viable option as long you scaling up the amount of people. Having single inflatable tent for at least 10 people (the more the better) is more weight efficient (lighter overall) than using 5 x 2 person tent

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suspect most here use a tent for hiking and walking and are not explorers in the conventional sense. this tent is probably of specific use and not suitable for backpacking .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Seen that particular tent somewhere in the country. But not scalable let alone modular enough for current great plague situation. We here began producing this tent. Its use modular approach and easily scalable.

50312d11592e14dc3b613e2d809e05bd.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    As I had stated earlier this tent market niche is for those whose cruising around in aboard their $1 M plastic boat, took their dingy to come ashore and pump their tent for some scenery variety.

Although IF I have the money (of which I'm not) for durable 2 person tent for tropical climate, I will get Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT at $860. Although with shipping + tax that could easily goes into $1200 :(

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    still too expensive for my budget.
    my tent is a 2 person old style Blacks(brand name) Ridge tent, has stood the test of time and use and has withstood many a storm.
    a similar tent can be purchased today for £30-£40.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    No shelter redundancy when your using one tent for your group, if it fails your stuffed if your out in the sticks.

The inflatable military tents are a different league, often for medical use, sealed filtered environment etc.

21. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://improb.com/best-inflatable-tents/

Good morning all,

I just want to refocus this thread to a Prepper theme..........

I've got a specific philosophical principle I use in my Prepper planning. Let me inject here, that if alone and evacuating infantry-style, I do not carry a tent. Will explain at end of this rambling.

My philosophical principle accepts that in an emergency such as a hurricane, I could realistically be injured. If having to evacuate with injuries ... presuming the sustained injury doesn't involve mobility ... it's a big negative to set up camp and then bang in tent pegs, tighten guy lines and all the rest.

A personal-sized "infantry-style" tent that's inflatable via cartridge is ideal.

Above link shows a 2 person, 2 kg weight tent that could work for an injured evacuee walking in a forest type area. Admittedly the rings at the bottom of the tent are not encouraging. The link's ad on this ~ 5 pound tent didn't explain how filled with air. Some research could yield a model with a cannister of compressed air to save on the bicycle pump efforts when tired and injured.

If a field evacuation and I'm alone, I use a late model Vietnam era enclosed hammock with canopy - one with the heavy duty zipper like the old field telephone case - NOT velcro closures. My walking stick de jure - I have different types for different purposes - One stick is a couple of poles in case not in tree area. I rest in daylight and stay awake during the night inside the enclosed hammock. It's set up for a light chair when / if I can rig it in the vertical if trees or my pole(s) can work this arrangement.

Never, as in NEVER, leave shoes, boots, flip flops, spats, leggings outside of tent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    That Nemo Morpho 2 is realistic at 5 lbs when you remove the pump out of the weight calculation. And the tent only have single sheet rather than double like any other tent. And as long you don't mind with all the condensation associated with single sheet tent, its viable option (obviously not for me because I really mind about condensation)

I will stay away from using canister though. Unlike autovehicle tire, inflatable tent doesn't need much pressure to start with. And using canister would seriously risking the tent pole to rapidly overpressure.

Why not using your autovehicle or any other vehicular (boat maybe?) as shelter?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I began to consider changing all my tents into inflatable variant. The ease & quick of setting up is something I really love to have. So far pitching all the tents had cost me a lot of valuable time. Time that we can use for took a break / rest after arduous travel to reach the location. And from what I can see setting up the larger inflatable tent (for base camp) is also very easy & fast, that alone will give me & my peoples plenty of of opportunity with what left of our stamina for setting up other things such as getting the generator up to powering up the VSAT (which is always top priority) and setting up perimeter around the camp site.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    As bulk seems to be no problem for you have you looked at 'pop up' tents which when guyed out tight would I'd guess be a stronger structure? Not very popular in the USA but the Lavvu/Tipi tent for me works very well, only one pole, shed rain and wind very well. Mine laughed at gale force winds and rain in Scotland couple of weeks back

25. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

I used the term "field" to relate to my mention of walking". A couple of my realistic scenarios preclude using the truck or boat.

There are some small inflatable tents I've seen that use the small CO2 cartridge (forgot specs) like that used in kids' BB guns. It had a regulator of some sort to prevent over inflation.

Condensation during an infantry-style walking evac from this danger zone is less than minor. I'd be dealing in only a small bloc of hours inside the tent in an ideal situation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Condensation is a major problem with plastic tents, cheap ones are not well designed in terms of ventilation. I do like cotton and poly cotton for tents

lonewolf likes this.
  27. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Its both weight & bulk. The typical requirement is to pack everything both lightweight & size enough to fit any of this kind of boat

073800ee30551ac8fdd39dea21c3a5cf.jpeg

or pack for this

or in extreme case, be light enough to be slingload for light helicopter (typically AS350). Although I do prefer larger helicopter such as Bell-412 (Huey) they cost me a lot more money at $4500/flight hour, while light helicopter such as AS350 cost me $2500/ flight hour.

The typical excursion were done by either boats (such as pictured above) and followed by trekking on foots unto these kind of terrain ;

That single pole pop up tent doesn't' have the space require for a base camp. Not enough working space for all the tables & chairs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I should have been clearer, by pop up I meant something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Repellent-Instant-Outdoor-available/dp/B00691GONG they do come in different sizes.

The single pole Tipi/Lavvu come in sizes from 2 to large group size, all fast to pitch https://www.tauntonleisure.com/camp...wWgEb0AluzYf1IwWMLE8ivw79bJAERORoCTMsQAvD_BwE

Tentipi are fantastic quality, no problems running a wood stove etc, expensive but well worth the money. Bell tents are well worth looking at, generally cotton, but well make, take a stove, come in all sizes. The drawback with round tents/slopping sides is you do loose out on user space. More space with a high side ridge design but larger ones are difficult to solo pitch, certainly in bad weather

I love tents lol, in the past I used to buy and sell tents like some folk buy and sell cars.

29. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Re the pictured large boat;

There are guys a little south of here in the Little Creek, Virginia Beach area and (believe since changed) Craney Island, Portsmouth, Virginia - both are sections of Hampton Roads - who could make that boat having more space while still meeting or exceeding it's seaworthy ratings.

The steering wheel would be changed. The small forward deck fitting would also be changed. State of the art replacements will be the substitutes. For example, the steering wheel would automaticly redeclinate a magnetic compass used by boat-driver. At aft, it'd look like a US Army in Korean War medic evac helo (OV1 "bubble") with 4 stretchers mounted above helo's skids. The new paint will, understanding it's a minimal change, be like waxing a surfboard for better performance.

The rehab costs will not be large because of preexisting supply "programs".

The small boat: ditto.

Not sure of what you're presenting / what your views are re the single pole pop up tent in picture with stream.

I'd say it depends on the type and size of the base camp and number of tables and chairs. There are organizations that could have a helo-spot (not helo pad) in the pictured environment. The engineer-type work need not be "slash and burn". Some orgs will leave an improved-flow stream.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    for SHTF more permanent shelters have you seen 'Concrete tents'? material is concrete impregnated canvas, inflate the tent, spray with water and 24 hours later you have a solid shelter, its a one shot tent but for the end of the world.......

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Max,

That concrete tent sounds great.

It could house hurricane evacuees...and for those in need, it could be the end of the world.

Will be checking into this.

Appreciate this info.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
  33. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
  34. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Max,

Real good !

Thank you.

35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Based on my experiences with inflatable mattresses I figure that after hiking for two days and being 20 miles from nowhere that inflatable tent would go flat and the pump would malfunction. As far as saving time I would have to see. A lot of time THEIR idea of quickly inflating and the actual reality isn't usually the same. It doesn't take me long at all to pop up my various dome tents. I always have at least one big one and one small one that I use to store gear. If I have help it is about 15 to 20 minutes and that includes cleaning up the site and putting down my groundsheet before starting on the tents.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm still in the business of selling all kind of gears. Typically some colleagues will make offer to buy for the used gears that has seen use. Stuffs such as my blades, backpack, tents rarely last long within my control.

I've chartered whatever transportation available locally (peoples & animals included). And I took whatever that are available locally. And around here things in the rural or remote region things can get really "improvised". Just some example of them (video below). As long its usable for making money people around here will do it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Very good !

TMT Tactical likes this.