New Madrid fault line

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Aimee, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi all..I live on the New Madrid fault line. This fault line was the cause of the 1811-18-12 earthquakes. One of these earthquakes caused the Mississippi river to literally flow backward for a few hours! You can read more information about it on this Wikipedia article.

On May 1st we had a 3.5 magnitude earthquake happen very early in the morning. It was about 1:12 AM and I was sitting at my computer doing some work. I heard the rumble and then my home started to feel like it was rolling around. It was so scary but thankfully it wasn't very big and didn't last long.

A couple of weeks later (actually happened the 17th) there was another two that happened. They weren't as big and I felt neither of them. My worry is that the "big one" is going to happen and it has been predicted to happen at any time now. There will be utter chaos and I suspect most of our area is not prepared at all. I am glad to be able to learn from people on here because I fully intend on starting a preparedness kit.

2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Are your quakes being blamed on oil fracking? Lately my state has become the earthquake capital of the world, we get two or three a day, all small but they are blaming oil fracking for them. But, there's a theory that they're natural and unknown faults are causing them. Faults that have been dormant for millions of years are starting to wake up. Of course, that's one of those way out there theories. But, you never know.

I watched a documentary called 10.0 megaquake which wasn't really about that... Just a catchy title. But it talked a lot about the New Madrid Fault. You may be interested in watching it.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I honestly haven't heard anyone say anything about fracking being the cause of them but I'm surprised that has not been brought up yet. That documentary sounds interesting indeed. Where did you watch it? I guess I could just do a search and see where it is available. Thank you!

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is a video about the New Madrid earthquake area in the middle of the U.S.. I found the video fascinating and informative. At a timestamp of 9 minutes into the video, there is a reading of one man's written account of what he and others experienced in the year 1811 while they were onboard a barge on the Mississippi River rather too near the epicenter of the quake. He and others were on one barge among several carrying goods from Pittsburgh to New Orleans. In this man's report, he describes fonts of water and debris being shot out of the earth into the sky. The river roiled and massive trees on the banks were torn up and cast into the river.

This area goes apocalyptic every 200 to 800 years, the further out past 200 years, the more aggressive the quake.

upload_2021-12-3_14-52-38.png

So, what are the odds?

http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/strength.htm

"Prepare for a six
    "7 - 10% probability of a repeat of the 1811 - 1812 earthquakes
    (magnitude 7.5 - 8.0) - anytime in the next 50 years

"25 - 40% probability of a magnitude 6.0 or larger (source)"

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-131-02/fs-131-02.pdf

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    New Madrid fault activity

https://kkyr.com/strongest-quake-strikes-near-new-madrid-seismic-zone-in-arkansas/

"By now most of you know about the New Madrid Seismic Zone in Northeast Arkansas on the Arkansas-Missouri border that seems to be ramping up on a daily basis.

"Two days ago on Sept. 27, at approximately 3:30 in the morning near the state line of Missouri between the towns of Maynard and Corning in Arkansas, the strongest quake was felt by residents in the surrounding area known as the Ozark Plateau. The magnitude of the earthquake was 2.8 on the Richter scale and the epicenter had it measured at a depth of 6.7 miles, according to the United States Geological Survey.

"Minor earthquakes happen in the area every year but over the last 30 days, there have been a total of 25 earthquakes in the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The last time Arkansas dealt with a major earthquake was in 1811-1812 and the quake was felt over an area of a million square miles as far away as Boston, Massachusettes."
    -----------------------------

https://weatherboy.com/weak-quake-r...zone-in-missouri-day-after-shakeout-exercise/

"Today’s earthquake was too weak for most people to detect any shaking. Generally earthquakes of magnitudes 3.0 or greater are widely felt; however, in earthquakes in the central and eastern states, earthquakes weaker than 3.0 can be heard or felt due to how rare they are and how well even weak earthquakes are transmitted through the rock found in this part of the country.

"While today’s earthquake and other ones like it in recent days haven’t been impressively strong, they have been impressively voluminous. Earthquake volume in the NMSZ is running about 300% above normal since the summer."

--------------------------------

TMT Tactical likes this.