New Madrid fault line

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Aimee, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi all..I live on the New Madrid fault line. This fault line was the cause of the 1811-18-12 earthquakes. One of these earthquakes caused the Mississippi river to literally flow backward for a few hours! You can read more information about it on this Wikipedia article.

On May 1st we had a 3.5 magnitude earthquake happen very early in the morning. It was about 1:12 AM and I was sitting at my computer doing some work. I heard the rumble and then my home started to feel like it was rolling around. It was so scary but thankfully it wasn't very big and didn't last long.

A couple of weeks later (actually happened the 17th) there was another two that happened. They weren't as big and I felt neither of them. My worry is that the "big one" is going to happen and it has been predicted to happen at any time now. There will be utter chaos and I suspect most of our area is not prepared at all. I am glad to be able to learn from people on here because I fully intend on starting a preparedness kit.

2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Are your quakes being blamed on oil fracking? Lately my state has become the earthquake capital of the world, we get two or three a day, all small but they are blaming oil fracking for them. But, there's a theory that they're natural and unknown faults are causing them. Faults that have been dormant for millions of years are starting to wake up. Of course, that's one of those way out there theories. But, you never know.

I watched a documentary called 10.0 megaquake which wasn't really about that... Just a catchy title. But it talked a lot about the New Madrid Fault. You may be interested in watching it.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I honestly haven't heard anyone say anything about fracking being the cause of them but I'm surprised that has not been brought up yet. That documentary sounds interesting indeed. Where did you watch it? I guess I could just do a search and see where it is available. Thank you!