New Philosophy On Disabled And Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jul 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-19-652T

Good morning all,

Per ...

Note intro para's "and nonprofit partners".

When you add service animals, pets, emotional support animals, the injured, the incoherent (acidheads, drunks), we can see a new approach being started.

Another MAJOR factor: The US population is now much older than previous era populations.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    As someone with disabilities I can reasonably predict the early die off of the disabled, those using service animals, the chronically ill and the incoherent, when TSHTF. It doesn’t take much of a crystal ball to see it. It will happen to a lesser extent in a minor disaster but some of us are likely hooped if it’s the big one.

3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Innkeeper,

When I wear my emergency manager or emergency responder hat - actually helmet - we are taught national doctrine to integrate those with disabilities into the scene. This is the doctrine of inclusiveness. Once had a blind radio operator providing a better work product than that of the yuppie he replaced. Of course it does take an attendant to assist the blinded person eg in case of a fire evac, an active shooter incident, etc.

A major problem is that the public does not want to fund the additional equipment and supplies for the disabled. One headache around here (but not my emergency shelter) is the lack of medical oxygen.

I, too, am disabled but completely mobile, at least for a 72 year old. Got hurt in Vietnam and had to learn by experience to avoid VA medical centers.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on the disability and the disaster, in TEOTWAWKI anyone reliant on outside agencies for day to day survival wont be with us for long. if someone is even a bit mobile then they have a better chance of survival.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  5. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I too am fully mobile ... well as much as a crippled up old guy can be .... I still walk 5 miles a day ... but if you see me run, don’t ask questions just turn and run too. In my case it’s a regiment of meds that keeps me functional. Could I live without them? Yes? Would anyone want me to? No.

I think of some communities with high levels of person with disabilities or lessened abilities ... this is a logging community ... a high risk vocation ... and the number of crippled up men is very high. I visited Bremerton Washington a few years ago and every place we went we saw crippled up ex navy types. There are a lot of people who will have a harder time than others. Too tough to die maybe but it’s going to come at a high cost.

@Pragmatist I am very familiar with the doctrine of inclusion (that’s the Canadian name). Here it’s gone to extreme levels where many of our special needs people live better lives than their fully enabled, employed counterparts. I understand the struggle with funding, at least here there isn’t enough money for general emergency prep let alone funding for extras.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never been one for running, I have flat feet and have had them all my life, didn't stop me from backpacking all over Dartmoor( our local national park) for weeks at a time.

7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon The Innkeeper,

One of the major problems here south of the St Lawrence is the philosophy governing "disability". The current Administration is making progress in changing this philosophy.

The "disabled" is a lucrative revenue stream for certain health care providers.

If, for example, someone goes SCUBA diving in shark-infested waters and has an encounter with a shark, the injury is treated no different than someone getting injured on the job. The emergency surgery gets paid for and the patient gets money out of the transaction. I attend a few different vet organization meetings. There's an identifiable crowd of vets whose breakfast routinely consists of a 6-pak and 2 pop tarts thrown into the toaster. These people have health problems if I even nnd to write this. I attend TRIAD SALT meetings representing my NGO emergency responder org. Forgot what TRIAD stands for (not Hong Kong gangs in this case); SALT = Seniors and Law Enforcement (working) Together. At a recent meeting an elderly lady ... although a solid generation younger than me ... told the assembly that her air conditioning bills are paid for by a set-aside fund of our public utility (Dominion Power) because of her age and disability. She owns her house and the public must pay for her disability.

Again, the current Administration in Washington, D.C. is working to change above examples so only those who were prudent and in need are provided for by a generous nation. Of course there is much resistance to the reforms. I'm aware some get caught up in the transitions. Food stamps are no longer valid to obtain chips and ice cream.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.