New York

Discussion in 'New York' started by cyclistbabe, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    People from New York thread! Personally I'm from upstate, but I'm curious to hear what the survival/prepper experience is like in a place like NYC.

2. Jeffrey Hatlee

Jeffrey Hatlee New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Hello. I am from upstate also. At least I call it upstate. I am 20 miles west of Albany. I hope to meet other like minded people here.

3. AuroraBirch

AuroraBirch New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hello! I'm also from Upstate NY, and in my mind that's anything North of Westchester, so Albany definitely counts! I also live near Albany, but my family owns land in the Northern Adirondacks. That land was always the meeting place for survival if anything terrible were to happen, as it is difficult to find and there is plenty of food and water nearby. My husband and I also just bought a house on over 10 acres of forest land, and we have been starting to think about how we would survive on our land if we couldn't drive to my family's land.

@cyclistbabe, I have many friends who live in NYC, and I had an interesting conversation with one earlier this week. We were talking about what would happen if a nuclear incident (such as a meltdown at a power plant or an attack) occurred in or near the city. She basically told me that almost everyone she knows who lives there is worried about it given the current state of the world and the aging infrastructure, but they have pretty much accepted that they would die in such an event. That was mind boggling to me, as someone who was taught how to survive many situations from a young age.

4. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Hello my fellow New Yorkers! Moved up here from South Carolina almost 2 years ago, currently residing in Central NY, I live in the suburbs unfortunately, far from NYC, can't imagine living there. It's a different experience coming from a small Rural area to here.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  5. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Hello Will, its a five year old thread but welcome mate. I'm a Brit currently living in Spain but have worked in the US and visited many times and have solid friends up the road from you in NJ, over in St Paul Minnesota and a seriously crazy family (in a good way) down in San Antonio.

P.S. I love NYC :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've just retired. Will enjoy not having to commute to a liberal city (60,000 population). Living in a tiny town now. Had lived over there across the mountains, but loathed the place due to the unimaginable arrogance of the people. They weren't locals; all had moved there from the spiritually-dead cities, corrupting the South. Agricultural and working-class people most often have souls, real souls, good souls.

Sorry about the suburbia thingy. "This too shall pass."

But hey, mid-state NY has a lot of Heartlanders. Certainly not spiritually dead as the NYC area. Same with Massachusetts -- Boston is a great habitat for demons, but Heartland Mass. is America.

Best wishes to you and yours up there in mid-state NY.

If your house has any land with it, then start a garden and raise your own veggies. If the earth there is not fertile, you can always go with above-ground / box-container gardening. Bring in your own soil, peat moss, sand, composted manure, ...

upload_2022-12-30_15-38-49.png

And then there's vertical gardening:

upload_2022-12-30_15-40-12.png

Our resident gardening genius is Dirt Diva. The lady IS a diva. She seems to have encyclopedias in her head concerning gardening.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...w+york"&form=AWIR&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the population of NYC is 8.8 million about the same as London UK.
    I lived in a city, nowhere as big as those two-250,000, for 40 years man and boy, now live on the outskirts of a small rural town, so small some call it a village, wouldnt move back into a city ever again, I think I'd go nuts if I did, I prefer the peace and quiet of a crime free rural life.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I love that I have a very short commute, used to be nearly 20 minutes, now it's only 5 minutes (traffic and weather depending).

I'm fortunate enough to live outside of the city, people around here are a lot different, much more hospitality around here, minus my neighbors. Thank you, it's been a bit rough but I'm making it work up here.

Even though we live in the suburbs we have a decent sized backyard, plenty of room for the dogs to run around and I've been wanting to start gardening, get some canning going and get a stockpile. I'll save these pictures for some inspiration.;)

1. Old Geezer
      "... have a decent sized backyard, ..."

Excellent

Old Geezer, Dec 31, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah I lived in the suburbs too, with a front and back garden, a garage (in a block) and a bus every 10 minutes, but I still wouldnt go back there, I know when I'm better off especially WHEN SHTF.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    NY, NY:

" ‘Deranged’ Knife-Wielding Man Accused of Stalking in NYC Freed Without Bail"

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/202...lding-man-accused-stalking-nyc-freed-no-bail/

"A knife-wielding man accused of stalking musicians in New York City’s Times Square was given supervised release Thursday.

"Prosecutors in the case recommended the so-called “deranged” individual identified as 22-year-old Deqon Massiah be released, the New York Post reported.

"Officials charged him with menacing, harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon. Those charges are not eligible for bail, the outlet noted.

"The judge granted the release but stated the 'highest level of monitoring is appropriate,' regarding the individual.

"When the initial incident happened Wednesday, a photographer took a picture of the suspect holding a knife while standing right behind performers during the Crossroads of the World event.

"It is important to note that in August, New York Democrats secured legislation making Times Square a 'gun-free zone,' Breitbart News reported.

“ 'The NYC.Gov website makes clear that the gun-free policy taking effect in Times Square applies to licensed concealed carry permit holders too,' the outlet said.

"According to the Post, photographer Richard Moore said he noticed the suspect standing on a bench while flashing the weapon and screaming on Broadway that morning.

"Although Massiah eventually went back to the bench, Moore felt he should call 911, and officers arrived at the scene 12 minutes later.

“ 'Massiah has no criminal history in New York, but is on probation for a sex offender case in Georgia,' the report said.

"In April, Breitbart News reported that New York City District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D) has a record of dropping felony charges, decreasing felony convictions, downgrading felonies to misdemeanors, and not requesting bail for those accused of committing felonies."

upload_2023-7-17_14-24-27.png

=================================================

Old Gzr: If you are planning to visit the current USSA, assiduously avoid our metropolitan areas.

If you do visit such places, travel in groups. Avoid the subways. Don't expect the police to be of much help. The police are overwhelmed and most often, they're not given permission to fight crime.

On the streets of cities you will see the mentally ill homeless and drug addicts. This is not something you wish your children to witness. Our cities are diseased.

When visiting national parks, you have the protection of the Park Police, the rural county's Sheriffs Dept, and also note that Game and Fish Officers enforce ALL laws not just wildlife issues. Most times, these rural officers are actually trained and come from a society that defaults to being helpful -- which certainly isn't true in urban areas. Keep in mind that rural citizens usually can take care of themselves, so there are not lots of law enforcement officers = they are spread out. Rural areas wherein the wilderness parks lie are not just large, they are VAST (tens of thousands of square miles, or more); therefore if you get into trouble, it will take time to get officers to your location. These good folk possess no supernatural powers. Geography is geography.

=======================

And oh by the way, upstate New York is both beautiful and civilized -- good people and all that.

It's just that the urban area of New York is spiritually diseased. Yes, I've been there ... couldn't leave fast enough (felt the spiritual illness of the place). I don't believe in hauntings, but at one Broadway playhouse, I felt like were dead souls just hovering there. Got a very negative feeling -- sad, sick, dark. The play was great, super-professional, but the atmosphere was purgatory.
    -----------

TMT Tactical likes this.